Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kalabagh Dam

Salam,

I'm looking for information on the proposed Kalabagh dam. Any good websites, names of books, or even personal insights and information on this dam project or even on the repercussions of the Tarbella dam project. Information on what is happening with the project *now*, today, in light of the changes in government, would be great. Thanks...

Achtung

Dear Achtung,

Kalabagh Dam (call it damn) project is a hot potato kinda stuff and very few are willing to touch it. It is a big reason of intra-provincial contention and mutual mistrust. In a nutshell, each province wants to benefit from it, but are not willing to compromise. I worked for the firm that did the feasibility study (15 years ago) of this project. I have to go now, but I will most certainly put something about KBDP in a day or so.

Stay well!

Comment

Thanks NY Ahmadi...I understand that the World Bank was pushing for this project. I wonder if they still are, or pulled out. And I'd be intersted in knowing what the provincial positions are, which provinces are to benefit and which are to lose, if the damn is created.

If anyone knows what the current status of the dam is, please post

I wonder if maybe some Indian readers could talk a little about their dams, I think the Narmada (is that the name of it?) was pretty controversial to.

Achtung

Comment

Dear Achtung,

I donít know what to tell you about the KBD project. It has been talked about since the early 50s and it still has gotten no where except many hot debates causing intra-provincial mistrust. There are tons of studies conducted on the feasibility of this project. Ranging from engineering, seismographic impact, salt encrustation, river forests, ground water hydrology, climatic, environmental, socio-economic, to you name it. Some studies more academic in nature and some done by the environmental groups that discernibly oppose large-scale dam projects. I never worked on KBD project, but the company that conducted the primary feasibility work is my previous employer. This is the same Chicago based engineering outfit that established WAPDA in Pakistan. I have many friends who still work in Pakistan on their various projects, and I often talk to them about the KBD. As an econometrician, my job is very data oriented and less policy/social impacts. So my conversations about the KDB are mainly data structuring and analyses kind of conversations. But I do feel that the development of this project is as much a retrogression, as it is a progress. In other words, I am confused.

Although the arguments made ďagainstĒ such development (ranging from ecological impacts to replacement of indigenous population) make a lot more sense to me, but I do feel that (purely from a professional standpoint) that sometimes a little sacrifice is necessary to ensure the well beings of the majority of the people. I donít mean killing people by sacrifice. I mean ecological.

In brief, Punjabis are the biggest proponents of this project, and the other 3 provinces oppose it diligently. Their arguments are as emotional as scientific. The biggest argument is that by building a dam, downstream from Terbela, will dry Indus for most of the year, hence causing hardships for the people of the Indus belt. They support their arguments with many studies. If studies arenít enough, they are not afraid to exhibit their anger in the Parliament. Many fistfights have been documented.

The role of the World Bank has not been very clear. Their main object (reasoning) for KBD project is that they want the other WB funded projects to go ahead, that are pending by the lack of progress on the KBD. I donít trust their ulterior motives, but having known many WBers, they are more technicians and less experts in sociological welfare. It doesnít mean that all of them are like that. Some are not. Generally speaking WB wants this project to go ahead, and will finance it.

I donít know how much detail you would like to go into? We can look at it from a general perspective (political implications, etc.) and leave the engineering component out. But I will like to participate in this discussion, no matter what the focus. You tell me.

Finally, you impress me, yet again, by your interest about the issues that are faced by Pakistan. I donít mean to sound patronizing, but my experience with many Foreign Born Pakistanis is a bit different. Call me a generalist.

Comment

Thanks for the information NY Ahmadi. I'm not sure what to think about the dam myself. I was involved in organizing a conference on water resources and scarcity in Pakistan, when I was working in Islamabad this summer, but I missed the seminars on Kalabagh issue. There were proponents both for and opposed to the dam.

My interest in the dam is actually quite selfish. I've come across some funding for research into development induced displacement or migration. I understand that the Kalabagh dam, if it is approved and constructed, will result in the displacement and migration of thousands of residents, and the potential destruction of the city of Nosherwa (I think thats how you spell it). So what I'm really interested in is the current status of the project. Maybe this is'nt the best project to research - especially if it isn't going to be constructed. In which case, I may want to look at other projects which will lead to the genuine displacement of people. Thanks again!

Achtung

[This message has been edited by Achtung (edited November 10, 1999).]

Comment

Use search engine like yahoo.com to find out infos about Kalabagh Dam.

Fata Morgana

Comment

Working...
            X