A Sad Day for Journalism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Sad Day for Journalism

A.M. Rosenthal (Abe) of the NY Times wrote his last op-ed column today. After 55 years of bedrock journalistic convictions, he is calling it quits.

I very rarely agreed with his views, and at times I thought he as the biggest SOB in the world. I still do. But that had never stopped me from reading his column. I would start my paper from back and first read all the op-ed essays before turning to the other important news of the day. Sometimes, Times will confuse me by changing his regular day, and if the column was not there, I would refuse to believe it was Tuesday. Anyhow, I think Abe Rosenthal has been an instrument of viewing the “duplicity of American Foreign Policy” and strengthened the First Amendment (freedom of speech) guarantees by newspapers as guardians of the public interest.

Even though his views being totally opposite to what I believe in, I will miss his column, and the Tuesdays will never be Tuesdays again for me. I am hopeful that he will continue to contribute to journalistic enrichment whatever he decides to do. He was NYTimes correspondent in India for a few years (then he was also called the King of Khyber Pass), and he covered sub-continental politics. A book about his experiences in Indian Sub-continent will be something that he should consider.

Ciao Abe!
Working...
X