Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Indians are scared to death with army takeover.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Indians are scared to death with army takeover.

Pakistan coup sparks exodus in India border area

TARN TARAN, India, Oct. 13 Villagers near India's border with Pakistan fled their homes on Wednesday after a military coup in Islamabad raised fresh fears of tensions between the two neighbours.

People in the Tarn Taran area, some 16 km (10 miles) from the holy Sikh city of Amritsar in the agriculturally rich state of Punjab, said tensions rose after they saw movements by India's army, which was put on alert after the coup.
    ''There is panic. We don't know what will happen. Just to keep the family safe we are moving away,'' Kuldeep Singh, a farmer, told Reuters.
    Military trucks were seen moving in increased numbers near sugarcane and paddy fields in Punjab's border areas.
    ''There is a lot of movement by army since yesterday,'' said Jagroop Singh at Chabhal village.

MEMORIES OF TANK BATTLES
    It was the second time this year the villagers living near the border had fled. Only about four months ago they moved to safer places when India and Pakistan stood on the verge of what could have been their fourth war since their independence from Britain in 1947.
    Last May India launched a military offensive against guerrilla infiltrators in the Himalayan heights of Kargil on the Indian side of disputed Kashmir, and accused Pakistan of engineering the intrusion by sending its own soldiers in disguise.
    Pakistan called the infiltrators ''freedom fighters'' for Kashmir but later agreed under international pressure to seek their withdrawal.
    The conflict, in which India lost more than 400 men, triggered fears of an extended war in Punjab, which saw intense tank battles in the wars of 1965 and 1971.
    Suresh Dutta, a senior Border Security Force (BSF) official, told Reuters that since Tuesday night's coup, the border had been sealed and security men were on maximum alert.
    ''There are orders from the Centre (federal government). There is close police and BSF coordination,'' senior police official J.P. Virdi said.

SHARIF'S VILLAGE ANXIOUS
    Amid the tensions, sympathies in one particular village flowed for ousted Pakistani prime minister Nawaz Sharif, who was deposed by army chief General Pervez Musharraf and put under house arrest.
    Residents of Jatti Umra, the Sharif family's ancestral village on the Indian side of Punjab, had felt anger when Sharif's army was eyeball-to-eyeball with India's military between May and July.
    On Wednesday, they felt worried.
    ''It is very bad. We really fear for Nawaz Sharif,'' said former village chief Bachchan Singh.
    ''When Kargil happened we had anger against Nawaz Sharif. But now we are apprehensive about his future. The real culprits are the army,'' said Arjan Singh, another villager.
    Jatti Umra is 25 km (15 miles) southeast of Amritsar, which is only about 40 km (25 miles) from the Pakistani city of Lahore.
    Indian Prime Minister Atal Behari Vajpayee made a bus journey from Amritsar to Lahore last February in a symbolic ride to ease tensions that had peaked after the neighbours staged nuclear tests last year.
    The Delhi-Lahore bus service, which started at that time, was plying as usual towards the Wagah road border, officials in Delhi said on Wednesday.

India’s army was on high alert at the border and Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee held a crisis meeting Tuesday night after a military takeover in neighboring Pakistan. The coup is feared to diminish the chances of a lasting peace between the two nuclear-armed rivals.
    India’s Cabinet Committee on Security will meet Wednesday immediately after Vajpayee is sworn in for another term of office.

THIS IS A serious development for ... Kashmir,” said a senior officer in the northern command in Kashmir, speaking on condition of anonymity. A running dispute over the border region of Kashmir has prompted two wars between India and Pakistan.
    India’s Cabinet Committee on Security will meet Wednesday immediately after Vajpayee is sworn in for another term of office, said Ashok Tandon, the prime minister’s spokesman.
    Vajpayee, who was re-elected in a month-long vote that ended Oct. 3, had said that one of his new government’s first tasks would be to restart peace talks with Pakistan that were disrupted by recent fighting in Kashmir.
    Pakistani troops took over state-run media Tuesday, closed airports and announced that the democratically elected government of Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif had been removed. The military, and an increasingly nationalist populace, had grown critical of Sharif in recent months, in part because he made a decision to withdraw Pakistan’s forces from a Kashmir conflict with India. The general who orchestrated the power grab, Pervaiz Musharraf, is a professional commando and veteran of two wars with India, who U.S. intelligence officials believe is closer to Pakistan’s Islamic militants.

The reports coming from Pakistan are causing grave concern,Tandon said. We are monitoring the situation.

Vajpayee met for about an hour with Foreign Minister Jaswant Singh, Home Minister L.K. Advani and National Security Adviser Brajesh Mishra.
    “The prime minister is keeping constant touch with the embassy” in Islamabad, Tandon said. “Everyone is safe.”
    Pakistan and India have fought three wars since they became independent from Britain in 1947, and their forces fought from May to July this year when the Indian army discovered Pakistan-based intruders in parts of Kashmir claimed by India.
    Both nations tested nuclear weapons last year.
    Security analysts in New Delhi said an unstable Pakistan would have ominous portents for the entire South Asian region.
    “India should remain alert and give a clear message that any mischief will be met with a swift, clear and overwhelming response,” said J.N. Dixit, former Indian foreign secretary, according to the United News of India.

Pakistan coup leader known as hawk on India relations.Musharraf served as army commando in Kashmir.The leader of the coup in Pakistan is a former army commando known as a moderate on domestic affairs and a hawk when it comes to relations with neighboring India.
    A decorated soldier, Gen. Pervaiz Musharraf wore commando fatigues instead of his military dress uniform on national television early Wednesday morning when he announced Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif's overthrow.
    Musharraf, who joined the military in 1964, twice served in Pakistan's Special Services Group or commando unit. He faced off against Indian soldiers as a commando stationed on the disputed border that divides Kashmir between Pakistan and its rival India.
    According to most Western analysts, Musharraf orchestrated the occupation this summer of Indian territory in Kashmir by Islamic militants. The resulting fighting led to fears of an all-out war between the world's newest nuclear powers.

Reports in recent weeks said Sharif's decision to withdraw the militants from Kashmir to head off such a war angered Musharraf, eventually leading to the government's downfall.
    Musharraf received a medal of distinction for his service during Pakistan's 1965 war against India, which was waged for 17 days over Kashmir -- the flashpoint of two of the three wars fought between the neighbors.
    At home Musharraf is seen as a moderate, who has supported economic reforms. He criticized Sharif for driving the country toward economic ruin.
    Musharraf has maintained his distance from the country's right-wing Islamic groups, with the exception of encouraging their battle against Indian troops in Kashmir.
    A former instructor at Pakistan's top military schools, Musharraf has been described by fellow soldiers as a "professional soldier."

Hi Peshawari. I don't know what you really mean by your post, but if it was your intention to mock at the poor villagers fleeing for their lives, may i urge you to take a more mature stand? Pakistan is tottering on the brink of uncertainty and you see it as just another oppurtunity to scoff at India.
    Simple ain't easy.

Comment

[This message has been edited by sabah (edited October 15, 1999).]

Comment

Queer, Pakistan is not teetering on the brink of uncertainty. If anything we have just been pulled back from that position. the designs of the enemies of Pakistan will take a blow from this coup.

Comment

Ultimately Pakistan will be the loser.

[This message has been edited by sajjadm (edited October 14, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by sabah (edited October 15, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by sajjadm (edited October 16, 1999).]

Comment

Dear Peshawari,Xtreme and Fanatic........
            First put your house in order then we will talk of India.
            Not one Pakistani newspaper has come out openly against what clearly is a coup against a democratically elected Govt.I know your media people are pissing in their pants.
            (The unpopularity of the Sharif Government not-withstanding , there sure are better and democratic ways to dismiss governments then forcibly taking over airports and the TV stations)
            The antics of your politicians and your army make us feel proud of our people,politicians(how unscrupulous they may be) , our Army and our Parliamentary system in general.
            Let me tell you, it does not help to be obsessed with India when utter chaos lies within your country (or what is left of it !!!).

Comment

Some1,

We aren't interested in words like democracy if in practice it only produces a bunch of leeches sucking the country dry. We want what is good for our country. That is probably the opposite of what you want as an Indian. If you are happy with your mosque demolishing government that doesn't surprise me because you are a Hindu nationalist who is obsessed with painting history with saffron Hindu colours. Go to your anti-muslim websites from where you have brought some of your filthy lies against Islam and then we will see who is obsessed with who.

Comment

Its amazing how quickly the Pakis can get to Hindu bashing when they run out of logical arguments.
                Whoever said that the people get the Government they deserve, was right.

Comment

Some1,

I am not hindu-bashing, it is a fact that there are very offensive anti-muslim websites being hosted by Indians and it is also a fact that you reproduced one of the most offensive pieces from those sites here on Gupshup. So you are showing double standards. That is my point. Although to your credit, you did apologise and withdraw the article. But your talk of obsession with India is misleading and one-sided. Has India turned a blind eye to the recent events in Pakistan? Of course not. Does that mean it is obsessed with Pakistan? No. The same is the case with Pakistan's concerns over India, especially with a nationalistic hindu party in power. Be fair in your analysis.

Comment

Xtreme Bhai......
                    I am truly aghast !! You have accused me of something which I never did.I never ever posted anything here from any "anti-muslim" site, not to talk of apologising for it. I am not sure if such a site exists. "Anti-Pakistan" sites, yes, there are a few of them, but I am yet to come across an "anti-Muslim" site (you can cite some of them......).Even the anti-Pak sites created by Indians are few in number compared to the anti-India tirade on the net (something to do with your obsession with us , again !!).
                    Its not so much your accusation that hurts me but the fact that you still talk in terms of 'Hindus-Muslims' when it should be 'Indians-Pakistanis'. I find the Indians in this forum, much more matured that way.
                    I don't know if u have been to India. If u have, u will know how ridiculous it is to call all Indians as 'Hindus', especially when there are more Muslims here than in your 'Islamic Republic Of Pakistan' and not to mention , the Christians, Sikhs etc.
                    I know u will have ready answer for this. You will harp on the same 'BJP-RSS-Thackeray-Babri Masjid' lines to score a point because u have little else to say. Do get this that India's social fabric is too intricate to understand by reading newspapers, watching carefully orchestrated melodramatic anti-India sequences on PTV. I have conceded to the point of being apologetic that there are some 'Xtremes' in India, but remember India is a country of 1 billion people and not all of them took part in the Masjid demolition, your favorite scoring shot.Even this was well retaliated by your "oh-so-tolerant" Pakistanis by demolishing a good number of temples in Pakistan.Though I don't like to speak of this, but I have to say that Hindu Fundamentalism cannot hold a candle to the "Islamic" equivalent which is internationally infamous.
                    As for India's obsession with Pakistan, suffice to say that a vast majority of Indians don't go to bed thinking 'Kashmir'. Even 'Pakistan' does not usually figure in the scheme of things for most Indians as long as our neighbors remain on their side of the LOC.

Comment

It looks like sabah is mentally disturbed by my postings, that's why he is deleting my posts.

Come on SABAH Live on TRUTH.

Comment

Some1, you said,

As for India's obsession with Pakistan, suffice to say that a vast majority of Indians don't go to bed thinking 'Kashmir'. Even 'Pakistan' does not usually figure in the scheme of things for most Indians as long as our neighbors remain on their side of the LOC.
                        Why not let Kashmir go then? Don't you believe in freedom?

Hey, Lala sahib, you think I am the only person who saw your post against the Prophet(SAW)? Don't start the 'bagal main churee, mun main raam raam' process off again friend. You can do better than that.

Comment

Yes Mr. xtreme the Indians will shout about democracy and secularism till the cows come home (no pun intended). Mention Kashmir and the democracy suddenly disappears of the face of the earth and these so called champions of democracy start pointing to terrorist and Pak supported infiltrators. Ask them to hold a refrendum and the democracy dies a death in this hypocritic nation. They don't practice what they preach. Democracy in India means 70000 Indian soldiers in Kashmir, kept there to rape and kill women and children. Democracy in India, the biggest joke of the millenium

Comment

Xtreme boy, Is your 'Lala saheb' myself. If it is, then you are one obdurate kid. I repeat, I never posted any 'Anti-Islam' stuff, you keep attributing to me.I know u will not believe me.Have it your way, if that gives you "inner peace". ( You know what, half the problem between our countries will be over, if we start believing each other !!!).
                            I am beginning to feel that in the absence of any Paki achievement in any field to project on this forum, you guys revel in belittle-ing India's systems, social or political. Tell me does it make any difference to you Pakis whether India's democracy is a joke or not.That is what I said about your "obsession" with India. I mean it is amazing, Pakis being so vitriolic about India in a site meant for discussing issues towards bettering Pak. Go to any Indian discussion forum and see how many people discuss Pak there.Pak is at the most an irritating fly on the nose, to most Indians.

Comment

Some1,

Can you recommend an Indian forum to me? I found one once before but it was so boring I never went back. Just a bunch of losers having a w*nk about the amount of microsoft professionals employed in India. I don't blame you Indians for coming here for some real discussion. This place rocks....

Comment

Working...
                              X