Quotes on M. Ghandi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quotes on M. Ghandi

'Gandhi is the greatest enemy the untouchables have ever had in India', Dr. Ambedkar, leader of the Untouchables. (Vedict on India, Beverlay Nichols. p.28)
    'Gandhi is the greatest enemy of peace the world has ever had', Lord Cecil, Nobel Peace Prize Laureate. (Vedict on India, Beverlay Nichols. p.37)
    'An exceedingly shrewd, obstinate, domineering, double tounged, single minded politician, and there is little true saintliness in him', Viceroy Wavell. (Moon, Wavell, p.314)
    'Gandhi was the real wrecker. His one idea for 40 years has been to overthrow British rule and establish a Hindu Raj...His practice of mixing prayers with politics, or rather of making prayers a medium of political propaganda is all a part of make up', Viceroy Wavell. (Moon, Wavell, p.314)
    'Jinnah held the whole key to the situation to the continent in his had...I saw that dear old man Gandhi had nothing at all in his hand. With that mighty key Jinnah opened a gate way to Pakistan for the Muslims of India and saved them from the slavery to the Hindus' Lord Mountbatten (Viceroy's Interview No.35th, 5th April, Transfer of Power, vol. X, p.138)
    more quotes to come.
    (note: this was all typed)

I posted that first quote here a while back and Indians like Queer had a fit.

Comment

“His practice of mixing prayers with politics, or rather of making prayers a medium of political propaganda is all a part of make up', Viceroy Wavell. (Moon, Wavell, p.314)”

I find the above quote very disturbing, as I am a big admirer of Gandhi. He shouldn’t have mixed prayers with politics or governance. No one should have any right to force his or her religion down anyone’s throat. It is despicable whether Gandhi did it or anyone does it. Religion should be kept to oneself. Religion should have no place in public affairs - whether a revolutionary movement to liberate a nation, or to govern one.

There are some nice quotes about Jinnah also if anyone is interested, notably where it is said that he enjoyed his brandy and ham sandwiches. I will gladly provide references if anyone is interested. I am only saying that since Jinnah’s name is mentioned in the above post, so lets keep the equilibrium.

Comment

Dr. Ambedkar had political differences with Gandhi and these comments are obviously taken out of context.
        As for the other three, the less said about them the better ---- we can't expect much from racist pigs like them. What is surprising is that Pakistanis have decided to post their quotes.
        It's no secret that Gandhi had prayer meetings -- what is wrong in that. In those meetings verses from the Quran as well as the Gita were recited.
        N.Y.Ahmedi --- I would advise you not to post any derogatory stuff about Jinnah or all your countrymen would be up in arms against you. They don't however even think twice before posting derogatory stuff about someone else. It's also quite understandable as this is what you've been taught in your history books at school.
        Maybe Indian history books at the school level should also paint Jinnah as a religious fanatic in order to spread hate about him !! Unfortunately there's just one paragraph about Jinnah.

Comment

BTW, Gen. Musharraf also is supposed to enjoy drinks according to Ind. Express. Not that I object it.

As far as criticism of Gandhi by Viceroys and Lords is concerned, that is hardly anything to counter. The Lords and Viceroys were agents of British empire that Gandhi was fighting with. Even more scathing criticism had come from Churchill when Gandhi refused to collaborate with his war efforts and before. I think if any of these british scumabgs had praised Gandhi, that would have been great dishonor.

Comment

Hi Fanatic,

you got the spelling wrong as well, it's "Gandhi".

i can sympathize with you, i understand that you are all upset over matters at home, all that partisan acts by the Army must be leaving you frustrated. But why take it all out on poor Gandhi? Relax man, there are better ways of releasing you steam.

Sorry to know you "typed it all in", what a horrible waste of time.
            Simple ain't easy.

Comment

well.. in Urdu, they have two 'g's, one like 'ghum' and other like 'gana', maybe they write Gandhi that way.

Comment

[This message has been edited by sabah (edited October 18, 1999).]

Comment

here's something you indians will really like and enjoy:
                  Nehru talking to Mountbatten "We don't know how to grip it. We have no experience. How can we grip it? We have spent the best years of our lives in your British jails. Our experience is the art of agitation, not administration. We can barely manage to run a well organized government under nomal circumctances. We are just not up to fancing an absolute collapse of law and order. We are in an emergency and we need your help. Will you run the country.?" (Horned Moon, Ian Stephen, p.110)
                  So these claimants to be the fittest person to rule the whole of india and had all the time demanding the British to quit begged the hated Britisher to come to their rescue, control their affairs. They openly admitted their inability to run the government without the active help of the british government.
                  You want quotes on Jinnah? Here's some:
                  "Jinnah was the most important person of Asia. Jinnah was one of the supreme figures in the history of civilization. He was as Eastern genius dressed by Seville now. He was always frank, blunt and straight foward.'
                  (Beverlay Nichols, Vedict on India, p.18)
                  "To all intents and purpose Jinnah was the Muslim League and if the dream of Pakistan...even did come true it would be Jinnah, who brought it to life and fashioned it. My God, he was cold. It was Jinnah who more than any othr man who had made the idea of Pakistan real. I never met anybody who could say "No" so persistenly and so effectively.' Mountbatten (Mountbatten by John Terrain, p.151)
                  Jinnah can sway opinion, and no one seems to have the character to oppose him." (Moon, Wavell, p.63)

Comment

Really , even given that you are upset, you shouldn't be calling your army all that stuff. Whatz your problem, kid? Did you have to type all that in too? I really am sorry for you, trust me.
                    Simple ain't easy.

Comment

!
                      [This message has been edited by Fanatic (edited October 16, 1999).]

Comment

So now it's my sexual preference that's getting to you? Man! are you sore about matters at home! Like i told you, relax..... Shouting at me's not gonna change matters, so save your breath, ok kiddo?

Btw, ever read Shakespear or Robert Frost? I suggest you do so, it'll ease your frustration as well as help you find alternate meanings to "queer".

------------------
                        " All the world is queer save thee and me;
                        and even thou, my friend, art a little queer "
                        Simple ain't easy.

Comment

How many times do I have to tell you? I AM NOT SORE ABOUT WHAT HAPPENED IN PAKISTAN. I am happy that millatary took over. Something good happened for a change. Thats why you should start learning to read like a normal human being.

Comment

hello folks.
                            To me it only means that No one can please everyone....
                            Even someone of Gandhi's stature have ppl sore at him....
                            It hardly takes away anything from him though....
                            BTW....Sometimes it really doesnt matter what a person IS, its what we make them out to be that is more important...
                            For me Gandhi( Like some other folks) serves to Personify the goodness in man....

Comment

Fanatic
                              What’s the point?

>> There are some nice quotes about Jinnah also if anyone is interested, notably where it is said that he enjoyed his brandy and ham sandwiches. I will gladly provide references if anyone is interested.

Were you looking for this response?

Saba

Comment

Working...
                              X