Army Rule - State of Emergency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Army Rule - State of Emergency

It surely is a setback that we now have a Marshal Law. It is bad for the country for many reasons. Since we live in a Global Economy, our leaders should be the representatives of our people, and not some self-proclaimed “executive administrators”. The debate in the international press is that even the Regime that is dismissed was totalitarian, but at least they could go out to show that they came to power thru electoral process. The Army will get very little, if any, entertainment internationally. The only countries that view this as a positive development will be the nations where there are similar set-ups. Mainly the Gulf Arab countries. History has proved many times that Pakistan cannot rely on its Arab friendship alone. It needs military and economic assistance from the West. With military rule, that is unlikely to happen.

Musharraf is trying to find loopholes in constitution to secure his handle. It is a worst kind of manipulation, worse than being a plain dictator itself. If you are a dictator, then you are a dictator. You don’t need to make further fool of yourself by trying to legitimize your stupidity.

Those who play with people will one day have their day in court. Even though Pakistanis are a nation of brave and courageous people, we tend to be very submissive (the reason we have had so many foreigner invade us and let them corrupt our indigenous culture). We also have had it upto our eyeballs with these evil politicians and corrupt military. We need to wake up and let them know that enough is enough. If the general has a little bit of sensibility, he should try cleaning up the country. Lets see if land reform is in the works, lets see some schools built, lets see some state owned businesses privatized. These are the things a general can control. What he can’t control is the flow of foreign capital and know-how. But now that he is in power, he should do the best that he can. Starting land reforms and redistribution of wealth will be his contribution, as people are really sick and tired. He can annoy a few wealthy families by redistribution, it will make 139,999,000 (considering there are 1000 families with gigantic wealth and land).

He should cut links with Talibans. Country cannot afford that any further.

He should privatize big state owned companies. Let the business community run those enterprises in an entrepreneurial way.

He should open greater trade and economic links with China, as it will offset the balance of payments with industrialized countries.

One of his top priorities should be education. People are dying for education. The price of ignorance that we are paying now is much greater than the price we would have paid, had we been educated.

He should let a civilian face represent our foreign interests. And should not appoint an army guy to be a foreign minister. It will make the Army make a bigger fool of itself. This should be done even in the presence of smart mind in the Army, but the global community does not trust dealing with armed forces.

The representation at the UN should also be left to a civilian face for the same reasons.

He should open increased links with our neighbor India. Both countries should look for solution to Kashmir issue. I know it is easier said than done, but so are the other challenges to our nation. Let’s not presuppose the solutions to problem, the first thing is to start a dialogue.

He should not interfere with religious freedom of its citizens. It might be popular with a few, but everyone else wants to keep his or her religion to him or herself.

He should not issue exec orders to start reforming our institutions. It is not his job. He should wait it out and let the course take its own action. If he blamed Sharriff for destroying our institutions, he will do no different if he starts playing with them.

I know, I shouldn’t be saying this, but I wish him good luck, because we cannot afford to be more depressed than we already are. I hope he brings some positive changes. The harm has been done, we will live with this scar for the rest of our lives, but let this not stop us from doing something productive for our country that we have built with our blood. Lets not.

Army is not going to go back quickly. Not in three months for sure. It is in for a long haul.

One reason for not going back is that unless there is constitutional immunity to this act, musharraf can be tried in court when civilian rule returns.

If army stays long, there is another problem. There is no way, army can fulfill expectations of people. with 32 billion dollor debt and 78% budget going in debt and defence, army has no magic wand to help economy or people. People will realize it soon. What will army do on that occasion? another kargil... not unlikely..

Comment

Just another islamic republic going to the Civil war could very easily break out very soon.

[This message has been edited by sabah (edited October 18, 1999).]

Comment

For the most part a very good post. NYA said;

He should privatize big state owned companies. Let the business community run those enterprises in an entrepreneurial way.

He should open greater trade and economic links with China, as it will offset the balance of payments with industrialized countries.

One of his top priorities should be education. People are dying for education. The price of ignorance that we are paying now is much greater than the price we would have paid, had we been educated.
        What we have to ask ourselves is; why didn't our civilian governments (BB or Nawaz) do any of this? Wasn't that the whole point of having a civilian government?

Then;

He should let a civilian face represent our foreign interests. And should not appoint an army guy to be a foreign minister. It will make the Army make a bigger fool of itself. This should be done even in the presence of smart mind in the Army, but the global community does not trust dealing with armed forces
        Then how come during the original Gulf war between Iran and Iraq, most western countries had no qualms about supporting Saddan Hussein despite the fact that his chemical weapons were wiping out whole villages and changing the genetic structure of those who were the unfortunate victims?

I repeat, words like 'democracy' and 'freedom' have great appeal, but unless they actually provide us or our people with some benefit they are meaningless.

Prosperity comes through force as has been shown so aptly by the USA with it's armies prepared to go to all parts of the globe to 'protect it's interests'

Perhaps our values and honesty are a barrier to this 'progress'. This is what we need to ponder.

Comment

Giving example of US does not make sense. US forces may have butchered people in Vietnam and Korea and may have used undue force, they have not pounced upon its own citizens.

As far as civilian govt. not being able to solve issues is concerned, military rulers were no better. Ayub and Zia were lucjky that during which times some money came in from abroad. but still post 65 war phase of Ayub was a major disappointment. Power went to Yahya who managed to break the country. Zia has left legacy that is not easy to remove.

Change in govt. can not solve problems. Problems are deeper than that. Let us wait 2-3 months and see.

Comment

Dear Mr. Xtreme,

I was just trying to be pragmatic here my friend. Pakistan is no Iraq or Iran. Pakistanis don’t pee enough to fill up American cars. Gulf is altogether a different planet. USA has lot bigger interests there than they have in Pakistan. With the cold war over, Pakistan is not even in the CIA “sensitive areas” profiles. It is time to recognize that we have lost our geopolitical card blanche (buffer between USSR and the gulf), and the only card we have left is “sympathy to terrorists” that might play a little with the Global powers, but not for long. It is time that we play the right cards – democracy, freedom, and a desire to bring our level of living and education up. If we can show that to the world, they will listen. Higher literacy rates were the “main” factor in the development of the emerging economies.

In terms of you saying why didn’t the Sharrif and Bhutto governments do the things that I mentioned. Well, they are no longer here. And I am personally not a fan of either one of them. I just like the idea of an elected representative. It is the process that I find appealing and not necessarily the faces. I think Clinton is the biggest certified [email protected]@@@le in the world, but I like presidency as an institution. With the same token, I hate dictatorship even though Musharraf may be the most wonderful human being on the face of the earth. But now that we have a dictatorship, I think we should try to look for ways to improve our country and hope that it wont last for very long. We can certainly hope.

Comment

Good posts NYA, I think you make a lot of sense and most people have the same hopes. Lets pray that we are not all dissapointed.....again.

Comment

Pakistan may not have the importance of the middle east but judging by the coverage given to the coup there is still plenty of interested parties in that country. Even today some days after the event there are still articles on 3 different pages of the UK Times including the editorial.

Comment

Working...
                X