The Problem with Charity in Pakistan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Problem with Charity in Pakistan

Ok, I know this is going off the subject a bit from current events in Pkistan, but it is a continuation of the How to help Pakistan topic.

I feel that when people send money back to Pakistan it creates a false economy and you get whole communities who think that money grows on trees and that regular windfalls are their God-given right. They lose the desire to create and earn their own living and you end up with a lazy society. This doesn't apply to NYA's sterling efforts with his co-operative scheme which from what I can gather promotes self-sufficiency, but to those who think they are helping Pakistan by regularly sending back money.

In my opinion, if we really want to help Pakistan we need to teach people in Pakistan how to become self-dependant more than anything else. Simply throwing money at the problem isn't going to solve it. I know someone (UK based) who set up a leather factory in Sialkot which is now exporting all over the world. This is what I call real progress. I am sure that with all our differences here on this forum there are not many of us who will disagree with that.
Working...
X