Pakistanis upset by an Indian kiss.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pakistanis upset by an Indian kiss.

"It is the stupidest thing I have ever heard," declares 84-year-old writer Khushwant Singh about the reported Pakistani reaction to the kiss he planted on the cheek of the young daughter of the Pakistani High Commissioner to India at the launch of his new book. Singh's "grandfatherly peck" has snowballed into a controversy in Pakistan with High Commissioner Ashraf Jehangir Qazi having to explain to his government why he allowed his family to attend the function in Delhi held to release Singh's first book in 10 years. Referring to the latest controversy Singh told India Abroad, "It speaks poorly of the Pakistani press, but one can't brand the entire press because this has to do with only a few fanatics. The Pakistani press is making a laughing stock of itself in the eyes of the world." Pakistani dailies have reproduced a photograph of Singh kissing Qazi's daughter and termed it as "highly objectionable" which "lowered Pakistan's head in shame". Qazi has slammed a section of the press in his country for giving a "shameful interpretation to an innocent gesture" and charged it with pursuing "opportunistic gutter journalism."

After Junoon and Najam Sethi it's time to brand Ashraf Jehangir Qazi as an Indian RAW agent.

[This message has been edited by sabah (edited September 29, 1999).]

Comment

I read the same account in a local Pakistani Paper in New York. My reaction was a no-reaction. What may appear as an innocent gesture to some may be perceived stepping out of bounds for some other. If we are ever to make our points understood, we must aim for the same for ‘everyone’ else. Trying to understand the press’ reaction rather than ridiculing is the answer. Press in Pakistan leaves a lot to be desired, but this particular incidence is not a press upshot, but a cultural paradigm. The hate relationship of both nations towards each other brings out the worst in both.

Was it a French Kiss or an Indian?

Comment

I think this is another example of how media/press(in general) moulds people's opinions acoording to what it sees is right or wrong.
        Khushwant Singh is/was a man of nasty fiction ideas always...he is in his 80s right now and may be gone in another few years.... I have seen the picture of what is descibed above and it looks like a simple peck on the cheek by a very old grandfatherly figure to a very young woman(probably in her 20s).... It is a common thing in our culture sometimes to give a peck on the cheek to youngters....

Now press plays it in a negative way adding to the hostility between the two countries....when it could have played it in a positive way....and bring people together.... Khushwant Singh is well known and relativly well respective in both countries.....The presence of Pakistani High commisioner's family in this event indicates that although Govt's are on war people in general are not...even high officials like high commisioner.

Khushwant Singh's kiss to this young woman was probably in a affectionate way and a gesture of friendship to the Pakistani people.....obviously both families know each other very well and this is not the first time they met and is not like Khushwant Singh came to know that this woman is Pakistani and said ok I am going to kiss her and insult Pakistani people......my guess is it was probably meant to send the opposite singal to people.....
        I have many diagreements on Khushwant Singh's political and some other views but I think he is innocent in this case......

The real question is if Pakistani High commisioner's family is enjoying in the company of other Indian people, talking to them, mixing with them etc, why common people of both countries think they are at virtual war with each other? The enemity is the brainchild of political estabilshments of both countries....and may be people should see it that way and discard it......kiss each other with brotherly affection and freindship.......
        NYAhmadi...come over here I wanna kiss you

CM

Comment

Yar Channmahi,

You don’t need an excuse to give your Yar a Chumma, you can Chumma me anytime, any place.

A big Chumma to you my Yar!

Comment

This is the first time I have come across an uproffessional comment made by NY on this page. Hoep this not repeated again.

Comment

Dear Yetanotherindian,

Could you please be a little more specific. I don’t believe that I made any unprofessional comment. If I did, I am sorry. But I am curious to know what made you say that. Please tell me. Thanks.

Comment

Lo.. and here u have an indian offended by pakistani kiss.

Comment

Well said ZZ.

Comment

[This message has been edited by sabah (edited October 01, 1999).]

Comment

Working...
                    X