Sheikh Hasina - Best PM of Bangladesh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sheikh Hasina - Best PM of Bangladesh

Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina, the joint winner of the latest UNESCO peace prize, on Sunday reaffirmed her commitment to peace at home and abroad and urged her followers to help fulfil her mission.

"I will remain firm in my belief and commitment to peace, and will rise to call for any help I might offer to establish peace anywhere," she told a 50,000-strong reception at Dhaka's Paltan Maidan avenue. The ruling Bangladesh Awami League accorded a reception to Hasina on her receipt of the UNESCO Peace Award for 1998, which was handed to her in Paris on Saturday. Hasina returned home on Sunday.

Awami members and supporters from the capital Dhaka and outside the city arrived at the Maidan chanting, singing and dancing, witnesses said. Many carried large portraits of Hasina and her father Sheikh Mujibur Rahman, Bangladesh's independence leader who was killed in a 1975 army coup, along with most of his family.

The rally was broadcast live on state-run Bangladesh Television and Bangladesh Betar radio channel. Hasina said her prime mission was to fulfil the dreams of her father, and help democracy take firm roots in Bangladesh. She received the UNESCO award for signing a historic peace treaty with tribal rebels in Bangladesh's Chittagong Hill Tracts in December 1997, 18 months after she took office.

The treaty ended a 25-year separatist insurgency in the 5,500 square-mile Hill Tracts, bordering India and Myanmar. Hasina shares the prize with US Senator George Mitchell, a key figure in the Northern Ireland peace process.

Working...
X