Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

US involvement essential: Nawaz Sharif

US involvement essential: Nawaz Sharif

NEW YORK, July 6: Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif said here on Monday that President Clinton had assured him that he would take
    personal interest in helping to resolve the Kashmir dispute.

Talking to Dawn, Mr Sharif said Mr Clinton had told him that in the next 18 months of his term he would work resolutely to find a solution to the festering dispute which threatens peace in the region.
    The prime minister who reaffirmed the statement at a meeting of PML workers in New York before his departure for London,
    declared that whether India liked it or not the Kashmir dispute had been internationalized. "The American involvement was essential," he remarked. He referred to the resolution of the Kosovo conflict and the Middle East peace process in which the US
    had played a crucial role.
    Describing his meeting with President Clinton as "very successful", he said: "We hope that America will play its role to bring about a
    settlement of the Kashmir issue."
    Mr Sharif's remarks as well as those of the foreign office officials accompanying him were in contrast to reports in the American
    media about the hastily arranged visit and its outcome.
    The New York Times in its report on Monday said the US officials were "baffled as to why Mr Sharif had asked for a rush appointment with Mr Clinton." It said Mr Sharif's desire to come to Washington was probably driven in large part to get political cover from Mr Clinton for the hard job of persuading his 'military' to withdraw."
    Questioning the extent of Mr Sharif's clout with the Mujahideen, the Times said: "Pakistani government's insistence that it does not control the fighters will make it politically difficult for Mr Sharif to live up to the pledge that he appeared to have made to the (Clinton) administration..."
    Responding to these and other reports in the media, the foreign office officials insisted that the conclusions of the American media
    were misplaced. "There is a negative perception being created here which is contrary to the facts as we understand our position has been vindicated."
    Meanwhile, Foreign Secretary Shamshad Ahmed told Dawn that only President Clinton and Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif knew about the unscheduled July 4th meeting. Even the closest confidants of Mr Sharif were not aware of such a meeting until the last
    minute.
    This was later confirmed by Mr Sharif himself while talking to Dawn briefly at the Sony Centre. He dismissed claims by many well-
    connected Pakistani-Americans here who have been making claims about having been instrumental in arranging the meeting. Mr
    Sharif declared: "No one had any idea. Only Mr Clinton and I knew about it."
    He said one of the reasons for the haste in coming to the US was his fear that India was getting ready to launch a full-scale military
    operation against Pakistan.
    The prime minister said: "You see President Clinton and I had been in constant touch over the situation in Kargil and we exchanged
    ideas and at one point I suggested that I could come to Washington to talk to him about new ideas to defuse the situation."
    He said Mr Clinton told him: "I think it's a good idea. Let me call you back in fifteen minutes to confirm this."
    Suggesting that perhaps President Clinton had to alter his July 4th appointments and consult senior aides, Mr Sharif said: "Sure
    enough he called me back in fifteen minutes asking me to come to Washington immediately.'
    "After this conversation I informed my cabinet ministers and foreign office officials and fortunately a PIA flight was leaving for New York from Islamabad late that night. So we hurriedly took it."
    MEETING BLAIR: Mr Sharif who left New York on Monday night for London may meet with his British counterpart Tony Blair, during his 24-hour stay, informed sources told Dawn.
    They said Mr Sharif had requested a meeting with the British premier, but any such meeting was not confirmed till late night.
    A foreign office official responded when asked whether such a meeting would take place, saying: "Anything is possible."

dil..dilseee

There must be secret deal between Pak and US. Why should Pak withdraw? I do not see any reason. Holding IMF money will be catastrophe for Pak. But then Pak can try to play on CTBT. Maybe Pak did not think it is worth. I donno. If I was a Paki primeminister, I would not sign the joint statement as Clinton-Sharif, unless there is backdoor assuarance, i guess there is one.

Comment

I think Nawaz Sharif lacks vision to handle some (inter)national issues.

Comment

I thought Allahs involvement was essential.

[This message has been edited by Fata Morgana (edited July 10, 1999).]

Comment

In the coming time, both India and Pakistan will be bullied into signing CTBT and if possible NPT, India would be bullied into opening insurance sector and other government monopalies to west. Pakistan will be bullied into getting Osama's head on platter. That will be Clinton's 'personal interest'. Pak will get a few million dollors wheich will transit Islamabad before getting its way in Swiss banks. India will get a pat on back. These days Indians seem to be more happy about Clinto's words that hard-earned victory of its soldiers.

New phase of colonization has already come in.

Comment

Hey guys... I am playing the devil's advocate here . it seems to me that we , both pakistanis and Indians, are united in blaming America. Yes they are big hypocrites and all that but if you think about it any country would do that. Each country has to look after its own intersts. sadly the bottom line is what the country can get out of the situation and not what is morally fair and just. i dunno if this is going off the subject( actually yes it is..but who cares) Someone mentioned somerthing about US colonization. For ex. in india conservatives are shouting their heads off abt. western media being vulgar and crap like that but what abt. our own movies? they have more gyrations in them than anything ive seen.

Comment

Well.. by new means of colonization, I meant global economic system. In our childhood, we used to be great fans of Vietnam. Vietnam is a great nation, we thought, Vietnam defeated French, Americans and Chinese, wonderful spirit, we thought. And now what happened to Vietnam. IMF dictates Vietnam much more than Nixon could with his B-52 bombers.

Comment

No US mediation: Report
                Washington: US President Bill Clinton offered “no mediation” with India over Kashmir to Pakistani Premier Nawaz Sharif during their Washington talks on July 4 to defuse the Kargil situation, the Newsweek reported.

“President Clinton offered no mediation, rebuffing Pakistan’s efforts to counterbalance India’s military strength by internationalising the search for a solution,” the weekly reported in its latest issue quoting insiders.

The Americans, said the weekly, “didn’t offer Sharif much in return for his peace deal. They told him that he must not only withdraw the intruders but also resume diplomatic talks begun by Prime Minister A B Vajpayee’s historic Delhi-Lahore bus ride in February.”

Clinton also asked Sharif to sign the Comprehensive Test Ban Treaty, the weekly said. It quoted a senior Clinton administration official as saying that when Clinton received Sharif in Blair House in response to a call from Sharif “begging” the US President for a meeting, he found “a President who was very very clear that there was not going to be any reward for what he had done.”

“What he (Sharif) got was, ‘here is what you need to do’ demand: Pull the invaders out of Indian territory,” the official was quoted as saying in the Newsweek. In return, said US officials, Clinton “vaguely promised to visit” Pakistan if the withdrawal goes ahead and Islamabad signs the CTBT.

US officials, the weekly reported, said pressure from China was critical. “They were not going to stand behind (Sharif) as he precipitated a conflict.”

Comment

Working...
                X