Ethics of Food Aid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ethics of Food Aid

When any exceptionally bad dictatorship is in charge, a country fails and becomes utterly incapable of even providing food for its population. If this situation went on, millions would starve to death, the country would grind to a total halt and some form of revolution would be the sole outcome.

Providing food aid prevents the starvations but thus also prolongs the dictatorship.

Is it unethical to not be proactively giving aid, with the intent of letting a country's government cause its own collapse?

The specific case I have in mind is that of North Korea, where someone expressed horror at my view that food aid should be stopped to North Korea (though NK should be allowed to purchase food at normal market prices - I'm not proposing an embargo).

The NK's government's current economic and commercial policies lead to mass starvation, which is currently prevented only by food aid (much of which is going to the Army anyway to stop soldiers from being unhappy). In this way, the West is prolonging Little Kim's rule.

I suggested that letting his people and army starve is the only way to depose him without risking a devestating war, because eventually the starving masses, or someone with some power and influence who cares about them, will replace Little Kim with a more competent ruler. Either that, or the communist north will become so depopulated as to basically become incapable of functioning as a country.

A similar problemis occuring in Zimbabwe with Robert Mugabe, who's policies of seizing white-owned farms has caused agricultural output to plummet below that needed to support the population. Again, I expressed the view that only when his supporters starve is there any chanc that they will be dissatisfied enough to turn on him and replace him.
    Muslims are so good at dividing that they can divide the atom. If you see two Muslims, probably they belong to 3 parties.
    Al-Ghazali

Re: Ethics of Food Aid

There is no such thing as food aid. After all ask the US and EU. Malawi is in a constant state of Famine, but the US demands the Malawi govt pay for their food aid at market level prices when the damn country is not even a HIPC. Heck its an LLDC. BBut i guess everybody in the US govt forgets that the US produces food stuffs at a surplus and with extremely high subsidies.
    You can't fix stupid. So might as well troll them!

Comment

Re: Ethics of Food Aid

Chris Rock put it perfectly: the US is the only country where obesity/anorexia/bulimia is a "disease." American culture/media si the only one that will make you feel like a worthles piece of crap because you can't fit into a pair of jeans the size of your wrist.
      The grass ain't always greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

Comment

Working...
      X