Peaceful NWFP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Peaceful NWFP

Since the MMA took office, NWFP has been peaceful and off the news. No bomb blasts, no riots, no mosque drive by shootings.

Am I right in my observation?
    I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    - Robert McCloskey

Re: Peaceful NWFP

Originally posted by ahmadjee
    Since the MMA took office, NWFP has been peaceful and off the news. No bomb blasts, no riots, no mosque drive by shootings.

true, but look what happened in Sindh and Punjab. MMA is always doing some kinda protest rally, announcing strikes and disrupting normal life by keeping things on the edge. Its exactly what prezidento Bush has done by taking the fight to the terrorists only difference here is its not those terrorists its Sindhi's and Punjabis who hv to suffer because of MMA politicking/badmashi/hooliganism/sectarianism.

Comment

it's very true that the mma has brought peace to the province and the majority of the people in the province are happy with them

also fartguru you can make all the claims you want but one that is clearly false is the last one about mma being a sectarian party... because if you did not no know the biggest shia party in pakistan is part of the mma

Comment

The NWFP rarely had these kind of problems anyway I think since it's pretty homegenous. I remember only one bad case of sectarianism in the past 10 years.
        Muslims are so good at dividing that they can divide the atom. If you see two Muslims, probably they belong to 3 parties.
        Al-Ghazali

Comment

Mad, I have lived in NWFP in the 80s and there was a bomb blast every other day. Sectarianism was a problem in the hills and it still is but lid on it is that at least one side is in office.
          I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
          - Robert McCloskey

Comment

Mad, I have lived in NWFP in the 80s and there was a bomb blast every other day. Sectarianism was a problem in the hills and it still is but lid on it is that at least one side is in office.
            technically, since the MMA includes a shia group, both sides are now in office

PS: I know the 80s were bad, but a lot of that was due to the influence of our active revolutionary neighbours to the west at the time. Hence I said past 10 years ... after about 1993 things generally calmed down apart from the odd minor sectarian tribal war every now and again.
            Muslims are so good at dividing that they can divide the atom. If you see two Muslims, probably they belong to 3 parties.
            Al-Ghazali

Comment

Sectarianism was a problem in the hills and it still is but lid on it is that at least one side is in office.
              I have said this before, not about Pakistan, but about India and BJP, when in opposition they wreacked havoc, but when in power there were no untoward situations, and now I can say the same for Congress.

Bottom line is whoever is in power, wants to stay in power hence they try to make things as smooth as possible, where as the opposition will try to disrupt daily life as much as possible.

Its just common sense. or you may also call it POLITICS!!!!

Comment

Their stay in power is more dangerous for the long term prospects of Pakistan. I can guarantee that with them in power investment will be low, and the Islamisization of Pakistan will continue and make it more and more difficult to be a moderate progressive Islamic state most would perfer.

Comment

khatmal ..you are making a huge exaggeration when you say everyones happy with them..

AJ: NWFP also had a major military operation in Malakand in the 1990's and lets not forget whats going on in Waziristan.. anyway the MMA don't wanna rock the boat they want to consolidate their hold on the province and use that as a sping board for Punjab in particular. So all rallies and strikes are focussed on the other two provinces (karachi being a specific target becase of the JI-MQM feud)
                  How can a man die better than facing fearful odds for the ashes of his fathers and the Temple of his Gods?

Comment

ayaz amir even wrote in his most recent article (he is liberal and anti mulla and military in politics person) about districts that corruption is not as bad in nwfp and is quite controlled compare to rest of country ( u can never get rid of corruption unless your courts are strong), plus i agree with some1 here who said there is harmony among the people there! I lived there when i was a kid and there is a community atmopsphere anywhere u go in nwfp!

Comment

http://dawn.com/2005/06/02/top2.htm

Moulvi needs halwa...as long as he gets it, he is peaceful.

Hindu moulvi or muslim moulvi, all r same. They break mosques and mandirs, and then they embrace each other
                      Compulsory course for fundos: Gitmo Diversity training

Comment

Even during the ANP/ PPP regimes, NWFP was peaceful...

Comment

I agree with most of the comments in the thread. Though, if MMA was in opposition and Pakistan military was doing what it is doing in Waziristan, you would have seen bomb blasts in Peshawar in protest. So, in a way it is a good thing that they are in power in NWFP.

Zakk, do you think they can be in power in Punjab? I doubt it, especially if Mushraff stays in power.
                          - Robert McCloskey

Comment

God, if they get a hold in Punjab, Pakistan is screwed... Completely!
                            We have to strengthen mainstearm liberal parties especially the likes of PPP...

Comment

Well Aj by hook or by crook I am sure the powers that be in Pakistan will work overtime to ensure only the results they want...come election time.

At a realistic level I have a feeling they may make inroads into Punjab because of Nawaz Sharif..his alliance with the PPP is strictly political..when it comes to election time he will definitely ally with the MMA ..and that will help them win more seats in Punjab where Nawaz Sharifs partys vote bank is..
                              How can a man die better than facing fearful odds for the ashes of his fathers and the Temple of his Gods?

Comment

Working...
                              X