Top US general claims Guantanamo a model facility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Top US general claims Guantanamo a model facility

Top US general Richard Myers has described an Amnesty International report on Guantanamo Bay as "absolutely irresponsible".

The human rights group last week described the US detention camp in Cuba as "the gulag of our time".

Speaking on the US television network Fox News, Gen Myers said the camp was "essentially a model facility".

He said 1,300 Korans had been handed out to detainees in 13 different languages and that prison staff had served up "the proper Muslim-approved food".

"I think I'd ask them to go look up the definition of gulag as commonly understood," he said of Amnesty's report.

Guantanamo Bay has received much attention recently as the result of a Newsweek report this month which said US guards had flushed a Koran down a toilet.

However, the US military has admitted to five incidents in which the Koran was mishandled by staff at the camp.

Gen Myers said the prisoners at Guantanamo were dangerous and the US was doing its best.

"How do you handle people who... who aren't part of a nation-state effort, that are picked up on the battlefield... that if you release them, or if you let them go back to their home countries, that would turn right around and try to slit our throats, our children's throats?" he said.

"The president said we'll treat people humanely and in accordance with the Geneva Convention. We're doing that."

He said the International Committee of the Red Cross had had access to Guantanamo "from the day we opened the gates".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4592517.stm

Yeah you take good care of them alright giving them black water to drink and out of date food and when the xstian red cross visit do you just happen to start trying to behave human beings instead of savage dogs to them? and the interview was on Fox news the most balanced news service available folks that is if your a redneck from alabama

Re: Top US general claims Guantanamo a model facility

Its a concetration camp.
    You can't fix stupid. So might as well troll them!

Comment

Cheney offended by Guantanamo and Koran abuse facts

In an interview with CNN's "Larry King Live,"U.S. Vice President Dick Cheney said that he was "offended" by Amnesty International's comparison of the U.S. detention facility at Guantanamo Bay with the Soviet gulag.

Cheney claimed that reports of Qur'an desecration at the U.S.-run prison in Cuba were groundless.

Asked about Amnesty's description of Guantanamo as the "gulag of our times", Cheney said "Frankly, I was offended by it".

"I think the fact of the matter is the United States has done more to advance the cause of freedom, has liberated more people from tyranny over the course of the 20th century and up to the present day than any other nation in the history of the world," Cheney said.

"Just in this administration, we've liberated 50 million people from the Taliban in Afghanistan and from Saddam Hussein in Iraq, two terribly oppressive regimes that slaughtered hundreds of thousands of their own people.

"For Amnesty International to suggest that somehow the United States is a violator of human rights, I frankly just don't take them seriously," Cheney said.

"Guantanamo’ s been operated, I think, in a very sane and sound fashion by the U.S. military," he said. "I think these people have been well treated, treated humanely and decently.

"Occasionally there are allegations of mistreatment. But if you trace those back, in nearly every case, it turns out to come from somebody who had been inside and been released to their home country and now are peddling lies about how they were treated."

And about the Newsweek report, saying that the U.S. interrogators at Guantanamo had flushed a Qur’an down a toilet, Cheney said It was "totally bogus."

"They've checked every allegation about mistreatment of the Qur'an," he claimed.

"They found that nearly all of those reports were not true, and especially the one about the Qur'an having been flushed down the toilet.

"The fact of the matter is it's, I think, basically been a bum rap. I think our guys have dealt with the Qur'an with respect in nearly every case," he said.

"I think a lot of these stories have been promulgated by our adversaries, that is, people who were held at Guantanamo, stories they peddled after they left Guantanamo or after they got out in order to try to discredit the United States."
      http://www.aljazeera.com/me.asp?service_ID=8665

Yeah we belive you cheney as much as we belive pigs can fly! Nice of the nazi US administration to come out with their big wigs to spin and come out with propoganda wholesale to deny things that everyone else knows is fact. Even the newsweek comical situation where they arm twisted and forced a magazine to retract a story is silly as for newsweek talk about cowardice.

Comment

No wonder Dick Cheney is a big pain in the US arse, he truly goes by his name
        I raced @200kph, crashed & survived. If you havent seen God, your not driving fast enough.

Comment

Working...
        X