Are we always right

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are we always right

Are we "the Americans" always right? In other words we can do no wrong. We never have, nor are we, or nor will we ever.
    Obviously I am talking about it from a world/political/foreign policy perspective. The reason I ask is, after I read the Syrian co-operation thread and how Syria stated that US is conducting a media war against Syria while demanding more and more on terrorism efforts.

Most other countries complain about our hard handedness with them. So is it that all countries are wrong and we are right or should we look into our policies and refine them?
    Can you Hear me Now!! Good

Re: Are we always right

So what if I say yes ?
    Yours is neither a question nor a suggestion seeking opinions. what you want ?
    I'm the heat seeker bogie buster arrowhead - Watch your tail >

Comment

Sarge you can say whatever you want. My question is a very simple one.

Are we always right? We=Americans. The rest is explanation on why I ask the question.

Comment

The US has rarely been right..but in the 20th century even when it was wrong ..it was humble and formed alliances..now it is arrogant and intoxicated in the belief of it's own superiority.

p.s: Verizon I'm almost always right
        How can a man die better than facing fearful odds for the ashes of his fathers and the Temple of his Gods?

Comment

^^ Well I wouldn't call it "intoxicated with its own superiority". We are superior (as in worker productivity) and few other arenas.
          Now you say that US has been rarely right, so why is it that other nations have failed to convince US and its government that we are wrong. Is it that other nations are scared of us and I am not talking third world nations rather developed nations that can sort of (in a convoluted way) stand up to US.

Comment

^ Verizon the US has a more effective system which shows in worker productivity..but that is very different from being right or wrong..being powerful does not make a nation right.

As far as other nations go...the neoconservatives view Europe as dominated by "soft" secularists who firstly in their eyes are worse than far left democrats ..secondly their preference of diplomacy is seen as appeasement. The United Nations and other transnational organisations are seen as a threat to US superiority..so who does that leave?

Even empires need friends..the day an Empires leaders convince themselves they are the superior race/nation ..they pretty much have started the process of their own fall..
            How can a man die better than facing fearful odds for the ashes of his fathers and the Temple of his Gods?

Comment

^^I think you are talking more along the lines of We as in Republicans, rather than we as in Americans. Not all Americans are neocons.
              I agree with Emipres needing friends and hence my question instead of appeasing US why not tell us when we are wrong. after all they are our friends, unless they have hidden agendas.

Comment

^ the ascendancy of one democratically elected group to power in a democracy means a collective responsibility (hence you Americans not neo-con Republicans)

I already answered the friends bit..many people and nations have tried telling the US government when it is wrong..the rest have been bribed or see it in their own interests to not waste their time..(thats what you get when you deal in "with us or against us" ).

Comment

^ As long as you call us "you americans and not "neo cons" I am fine. Give me an example of where we bribed a government.
                  "With or without us" is a phrase not US Foreign Policy. On the same token "Axis of Evil" somehow has been incorporated into FP, and that is wrong.

Comment

Neoconservative are followers of an idealogy Verizon..if you believe that Arabs only understand force, Islam is essentially a fascistic religion which must be defeated like Communism and that America is not accountable to any International Laws (because Pax Americana knows best)..you have a neo conservative outlook on the world.

Comment

I believe we (as a country) have become very arrogant. We push our belief system on others whether they want it or not and if they don't politely go with the program, we cram it down their throat.

In the US there are checks and balances for the way we treat our people and the policies we impose on people. Outside the US we just take the tyrants road.

This is how it seems. But it also seems that whenever there is a problem, everyone cries, what is America doing about it if we do nothing or if we get involved then we are sticking it in where no one wants it. Catch 22.
                      "Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names." - John F. Kennedy

"Someday we gonna rise up on that wind you know
                      Someday we gonna dance with those lions
                      Someday we gonna break free from these chains and keep on flyin'" - flipsyde

Comment

Are we "the Americans" always right?

Yes.

But then again.....I may be wrong.
                        "I met the surgeon general - he offered me a cigarette. " --Rodney Dangerfield

Comment

Every country acts in its own best interests (or at least what appears as the best interest at a particular point of time) - not whether things are right or wrong - Right from Americal to Trinidad & Tobaggo. America is highly visible and hence its actions are easily commented upon.

If America attacks a people who attacked it, it is wrong; if Musharaff's army attacks the tribals, it is ok - he is just showing the power of the state? If America sides with a dictator in spite of its 'commitment to democracy' it is wrong; if Pakistan cozzies up with India, inspite of it being its 'worst enemy', it is ok?

Mind you, I am not supporting America on either of these two instances, but just to illustrate a point....

Tough fact of life - Nobody likes a big brother be it America in the world, India in the subcontinent or the Punjab within Pakistan. Tough luck. Would they cut down their sizes just to please the others?

Comment

Raja Jee, using your examples no one can ever do any wrong. Since Pakistan started the Kargil insurgency "in its best interest" it was right. Similarly India supported rebels fighting in Sri-lanka they were right as well, Iran-Iraq war was fought because Iraqis wanted it and then the Kuwait incursion also should be justified.

My question is "Are americans always right".

Comment

No.
                              You can't fix stupid. So might as well troll them!

Comment

Working...
                              X