Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Woe is me.. woe is me..

Folks,

As the fallout from the Quran-flushing-and-protest story continues, our valued American members have pointed out another fallacy of our times. They are really upset at this, and some of them are bemused and amazed at the blatant unfairness of this all.

Their point is, and I must give it to them for bringing out very reasonable issues forward, that when Muslims do something to irk Christians (like killing them, burning their churches and what not) or when Muslims do something to other Muslims (like killing them, bombing their masjids and what not), there is just not enough condemnation for those acts. But when some poor, low IQ US military investigators flush a copy of the Quran down the toilet, so many people came out in protest, resulting in riots and several people getting killed.

The argument is classic "woe is me"... "why Americans are singled out for protests?" why not others' acts result in so much mayhem???

I must say its a valid argument. So anyone cares to elaborate what is it about these gentle, humane and freedom-loving Americans that rubs the world the wrong way, so any tiny itsy bitsy moronic crap from them is headlines in the world media, while others get away with murder, literally?
    "Let your friends underestimate your virtues. Let your enemies overestimate your faults." - Godfather.

Re: Woe is me.. woe is me..

Originally posted by Faisal
    Folks,

As the fallout from the Quran-flushing-and-protest story continues, our valued American members have pointed out another fallacy of our times. They are really upset at this, and some of them are bemused and amazed at the blatant unfairness of this all.

Their point is, and I must give it to them for bringing out very reasonable issues forward, that when Muslims do something to irk Christians (like killing them, burning their churches and what not) or when Muslims do something to other Muslims (like killing them, bombing their masjids and what not), there is just not enough condemnation for those acts. But when some poor, low IQ US military investigators flush a copy of the Quran down the toilet, so many people came out in protest, resulting in riots and several people getting killed.

The argument is classic "woe is me"... "why Americans are singled out for protests?" why not others' acts result in so much mayhem???

I must say its a valid argument. So anyone cares to elaborate what is it about these gentle, humane and freedom-loving Americans that rubs the world the wrong way, so any tiny itsy bitsy moronic crap from them is headlines in the world media, while others get away with murder, literally?
    You should re-word this, and add when it is "perceived" or "assumed" that some desecrated the Holy scripture.
    Not trying to play with words but your sentence is mis-leading.
    Can you Hear me Now!! Good

Comment

Lets not get too hung up on Newsweek's retraction because a source couldn't remember (or Newsweek couldn't handle the heat). We all have a fairly good idea about what goes on in Gitmo, so lets not be naive about it.

Anyway, this thread is to explore why reaction for American's actions is so severe and not to nit pick on what may or may not have actually happened.
      "Let your friends underestimate your virtues. Let your enemies overestimate your faults." - Godfather.

Comment

You got it! Or at least 1/2 of it.

I think Americans are asking you why the double standard exists. If you want the answer to be that US is a big bad bully that threatens the ummah, then forget it. The murders, madness and mayhem done in the name of the Quran by Muslims themselves has far more to do with the quality of life for Muslims than anything the US does.

The woe-is-me has less to do with "why do they protest against Americans" than "why don't they protest against Muslims." I'm all for protesting against such things as the American military desecrating the Quran, but not in a vaccuum where much more serious attrocities are ignored or even encouraged.

So the question remains, why do Muslims allow their brothers to get away with murder?

Comment

Fasial my friend let me tell you why.

*queue patriotic music*

America is held at a higher standard and have no doubt about it, it should be. America is criticized heavily by so many for the world has seen the great it can do and the great it does. We criticize what we love most to make it better not to tear it down. You see America goes beyond simple geographical boarders as it is an ideal stronger than any man or any one nation and that is why I declare that everyone who loves freedom, justice, and equality is an American! Criticize and protest my friends as it helps build a bigger and better America for tomorrow.

God bless you Fasial, you crazy American!

Comment

Originally posted by Faisal
            Lets not get too hung up on Newsweek's retraction because a source couldn't remember (or Newsweek couldn't handle the heat). We all have a fairly good idea about what goes on in Gitmo, so lets not be naive about it.

Anyway, this thread is to explore why reaction for American's actions is so severe and not to nit pick on what may or may not have actually happened.
            Not me, you might have been invited so may know what goes on. I just read the Newsweek to get the inside scoop.

Comment

americans pointing out double standards? hmm, i think ive heard it all.
              O He whose Name is a Remedy, whose remembrance is a Cure, and whose obedience is Wealth!

Have mercy upon him whose capital is hope and whose weapon is tears!

Comment

Is that any more ridiculous than Muslims pointing out double standards?

Comment

Originally posted by Seminole
                  So the question remains, why do Muslims allow their brothers to get away with murder?
                  Seminole, your argument, thoughtful that it may be, reminded me of an old joke.

A motorist was speeding on a freeway and stopped by a cop. The motorist asked the cop "hey, I was just going with the flow of traffic. Everyone else was going at the same speed. Why did you stop just me?"

The cop smiled and asked: "Sir, have you ever gone fishing?"

The man replied: "Yes!"

The cop said: "Did you catch all of them? :-| "

Comment

Yeah Faisal, but a pig staring in one’s face is pretty hard to miss. Wont you agree?

Comment

Faisal as OG once eloquently quoted muslims as "bunch of lemmings". Are you suggesting the same?

Comment

yes seminole. but thats another story altogether :-)

anyways, you guys are mistaken. we hear horror stories in pak all the time, where mobs mete out their own idea of justice on 'blasphemous' people, based merely on suspicion. So it may be that the story has not got to them yet, who knows, but whatever the case, disrespect the Quran in front of a moderate muslim even, an i assure you, irrespective of your passport, colour or religion, am positive, they'll have your guts for garters.

just for pd who missed the point; there really is no issue of double standards here. so lets now get back to the original topic.
                        Last edited by Ma Mooli; May 18, 2005, 02:21 PM.
                        O He whose Name is a Remedy, whose remembrance is a Cure, and whose obedience is Wealth!

Have mercy upon him whose capital is hope and whose weapon is tears!

Comment

^ good to know..next time we are having quran desecration parties to not invite mod or regluar strength muslims. much props for the heads up Mamoolian.
                          Now repeat after me...."Jeter is the prophet and Rivera is the savior"

Comment

Originally posted by Ma Mooli
                            yes seminole. but thats another story altogether :-)

anyways, you guys are mistaken. we hear horror stories in pak all the time, where mobs mete out their own idea of justice on 'blasphemous' people, based merely on suspicion. So it may be that the story has not got to them yet, who knows, but whatever the case, disrespect the Quran in front of a moderate muslim even, an i assure you, irrespective of your passport, colour or religion, am positive, before you can say anything, they'll have your guts for garters.
                            Well it didnt happen in case of the smugglers now did it?

Comment

^ Yes, Verizon, how thoughtful of you to remind us about your smugglers, lest we forget .... the buggers were not Americans. Dang!

Comment

Working...
                              X