Moderate Enlightenment Or Farce?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moderate Enlightenment Or Farce?

Whatever Musharraf seems to project is being contradicted, opposed and scuttled by his PML-Q Government in Punjab and the centre. The inclusion/exclusion of religion column in passport, Hudood Ordinance, Blasphemy law, registration/regulation of Madaaris, curbing of religious extremism and the mixed marathon debacle, issues raised by Musharraf under his moderate enlightenment policies DOA (Dead on Arrival). One gets the impression that either President Musharraf has been relieved of his domestic responsibilities or what he projects is not what he is. Or, has the right-wing fundamentalist started to assert themselves against Musharraf and all liberal forces?

P.S. Note to Mods, didnt know where to put this...so its upto u guys....

Take a look what happned in Lahore:

http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default...5-5-2005_pg1_3
    Mixed citizens rally violently dispersed by police

* About 40 arrested, later released
    * City government to blame

By Waqar Gillani and Aayan Ali

LAHORE: A police contingent laid into a gathering of women and men organised by the Human Rights Commission of Pakistan and the Joint Action Committee for Peoples Rights which had congregated on the Main Boulevard in Gulberg to stage a “mixed-marathon” to test the enlightened-moderation” claims of the government, and swept about 40 of them to the police station.

Asma Jahangir, the chairperson of the HRCP, and Iqbal Haider, the secretary-general, were among those who were brutally dragged into police vans and held for a couple of hours at local police stations. The police action against the congregation was taken on the orders of the Lahore Nazim, Mian Amir Mahmood, who claimed that he had disallowed the rally after receiving “negative reports” from the police. In turn, the police claimed that it had received information of an impending assault on the mixed rally by activists of the Shabab-e-Milli, the youth wing of the Jamaat-e-Islami. But eyewitness reports confirmed that a handful of such activists arrived on the scene only after the police had dragged away the women and broken up the event.

Ms Jahangir told Daily Times: “I received a threatening call on my cell phone from someone claiming to be the president of the Shabab-i-Milli, Ahmad Salmaan, but when I later returned the call to check its authenticity, the person at the other end told me that the police had come to his tyre shop and called her from there”. Among the others who were briefly detained were Hina Jillani, Shahtaj Qazilbash, Tahseen Ahmad, Farooq Tariq, Joseph Francis, et al. Asma Jahangir was roughed up and her clothes were torn in the melee. One policewoman was heard abusing her: “We have orders to strip you in public and teach you a lesson”. Three other women were slightly injured.

The mixed-run was scheduled on Saturday at 5:00pm from Qadafi Stadium to Kalama Chowk. When the run started, the police started chasing the runners and bunging them into vans. Journalists were abused and shoved aside. The police contingent had gheraoed Ms Jahangir’s office at 5:00pm and sealed it, compelling those who had gathered in it to exit via the back door and spill over into the streets. Most of the women were taken to the Race Course police station where they chanted slogans against the “military and mullah government”. Ms Jahangir said she would file a First Information Report against the policemen who tore her clothes and manhandled her.

When the attention of the Chief Minister of Punjab, Chaudhry Pervez Elahi, was drawn to the incident, he expressed shock and dismay. “This is the City government’s mishandling”, he said, “I shall immediately order everyone’s release”. A spokesman for the district government said that it would have allowed the run if women participants had put on “suitable dress”, and that the run was held inside the Qaddafi stadium.

Re: Moderate Enlightenment Or Farce?

As if all the ASP's and SP's of Lahore are under the city's Nazim control, I wish the city Nazim had such powers. Along with Moderate Enlightenment the local government (District Nazim) system introduced is a teeth less Farce produced by the current establishment.

The whole thing was such a disgrace, no surprise that the current military government is not willing to listen to any one and doesn’t believe in the concept of peaceful protest.
    بِن دانا پانی میں جی لواں
    بِن انَک میں جی نہ سکاں

Comment

fartguru is finally comprehending Musharraf games. Thanks Allah mian !
      Compulsory course for fundos: Gitmo Diversity training

Comment

Originally posted by lostsoul
        fartguru is finally comprehending Musharraf games. Thanks Allah mian !
        LostSoul,
        Now isnt that just dandy, here Iam criticizing Mush and Lo & Behold Lostsoul thanking Allah mian....both first timers....three cheers to freedom of thought and expression...

Comment

Working...
        X