bo bo for US in Afghanistan: Anti-U.S. Riot Turns Deadly in Afghanistan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bo bo for US in Afghanistan: Anti-U.S. Riot Turns Deadly in Afghanistan

students??? for Islam???? This is no good for Amreeeka, becoz war against Osama good, against Taliban okay, but Islam oh noooooo not in Afghanistan very bad. This no Iraq, this Afghanistan, once united very very ugly. ask ruskiess and brits..

------------------------

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050511/...han_us_protest

JALALABAD, Afghanistan - Shouting "Death to America!" more than 1,000 demonstrators rioted and threw stones at a U.S. military convoy Wednesday, as protests spread to four Afghan provinces over a report that interrogators desecrated Islam's holy book at the U.S. prison at Guantanamo Bay.

Police fired on the protesters, many of them students, trying to stifle the biggest display of anti-American anger since the ouster of the ruling Taliban militia 3 1/2 years ago. There were no reports of American casualties, but the violence left four dead and 71 injured in Jalalabad, a city 80 miles east of the capital, Kabul.

Mobs smashed car and shop windows and attacked government offices, the Pakistani consulate and the offices of two U.N. agencies in Jalalabad. Smoke billowed from the consulate and a U.N. building. More than 50 foreign aid workers were reportedly evacuated.

The protests may expand into neighboring Pakistan, where a coalition of hard-line Islamic parties said it would hold nationwide demonstrations Friday over the alleged desecration of the Quran.

Many of the 520 inmates in Guantanamo are Pakistanis and Afghans captured after the Sept. 11 attacks. Despite both governments' support of the U.S.-led war on terrorism, suspicion lingers in the conservative Muslim nations about the American military.

Growing urban unrest could pose another security challenge for the U.S.-backed Afghan government, which is already battling a reinvigorated Taliban insurgency. About 18,000 U.S. troops are in Afghanistan, fighting rebels and searching for Taliban and al-Qaida leaders, including Osama bin Laden.

President Hamid Karzai, who travels to Washington this month for talks with President Bush, played down the violence.

"It is not the anti-American sentiment, it is a protest over news of the desecration of the holy Quran," Karzai told reporters after talks with NATO officials in Brussels, Belgium.

"Afghanistan is now a democratic country, people can come out and protest and demonstrate and express themselves," Karzai said. "It also shows that Afghanistan's institutions, the police, the army, are not yet ready to handle protests and demonstrations."

The source of anger was a brief report in the May 9 edition of Newsweek that interrogators at Guantanamo placed Qurans on toilets to rattle suspects, and in at least one case "flushed a holy book down the toilet."

Pentagon spokesman Lt. Cmdr. Flex Plexico said the U.S. military was investigating. "This allegation is contrary to our respect for cultural customs and fundamental belief in the freedom of religion," Plexico said.

Last weekend, Pakistan's government said it was "deeply dismayed" about the report and registered its disapproval to Washington. Many Afghans read Pakistani papers and understand Pakistani broadcasts; access to satellite TV has mushroomed since U.S.-led forces toppled the Taliban in late 2001.

The report of the alleged Quran desecration at Guantanamo has had little impact in the Arab world, however. The news stations Al-Jazeera and Al-Arabiyya reported the protests in Afghanistan and said the U.S. was investigating, but no mention was made in Islamic Web forums where militants often comment on news reports.

Aid workers in Jalalabad suggested conservative clerics had been agitating for days in the mosques of the city, which lies in a Pashtun-dominated area that once welcomed the Taliban and al-Qaida.

"They take things like that (reported abuse of the Quran) and link it to the U.S. presence here," said Phil Halton of the Afghan NGO Security Organization. "It's a familiar theme."

The unrest in Jalalabad began Tuesday, when protesters burned an effigy of Bush. It flared again Wednesday, when more than 1,000 university and high school students marched through the city and stoned a convoy of U.S. military vehicles.

The American troops fired into the air to force the crowd back and quickly left the scene, provincial intelligence chief Sardar Shah said.

U.S. military spokeswoman Lt. Cindy Moore said American forces were ordered to their camps but had no information on whether any of them were caught up in the unrest.

Associated Press Television News footage showed Afghan troops firing dangerously low over the heads of fleeing demonstrators.

The Interior Ministry said four people were killed and that the 71 injured included six police officers.

Deputy provincial health chief Mohammed Ayub Shinwari said most of the injured were students. He said two of the dead had been shot and many of the injured also had suffered bullet wounds.

"There is a lot of damage to the city, they have burned a lot of things," Shah said. "These are the enemies of peace and stability in Afghanistan who don't want people to be able to get on with their lives in peace."

Students held similar protests in three other provinces Laghman, Khost and Wardak but there were no reports of violence.

Wednesday was not the first time Pakistan's diplomatic missions have been targeted in Afghanistan. The two countries' bilateral relations have historically been strained by border disputes.

An Afghan opposition leader claimed the demonstration reflected frustration at the role of the United States and Karzai's plans for military ties, which could include long-term U.S. bases.

"From the beginning, people have disagreed with these things, but when the government makes one announcement after another, people lose patience and explode," said former presidential candidate Mohammed Mohaqeq.

Afghan leaders have long complained of heavy-handed search operations and the deaths of civilians in U.S. operations. They have also called for the release of those still held at Guantanamo, the naval base on Cuba where the United States is detaining more than 500 prisoners from its war on terror.

Some men who have been released from Guantanamo have accused their American jailers of defacing Qurans as part of the alleged psychological and physical abuse they endured during interrogation.

"They did everything to us they tortured our bodies, they tortured our minds, they tortured our ideas and our religion," former prisoner Mohamed Khan told The Associated Press a year ago when he was among two dozen Afghans sent home.

State Department spokesman Richard Boucher said Wednesday that U.S. personnel assigned to Guantanamo go through training to ensure they understand the procedures for protecting the rights and dignity of detainees.

"There is an opportunity to worship. People can get copies of the Quran. They get prayer beads," he added.

"The call to prayer is played over camp loudspeakers at the appropriate times every day. And the detainees have stenciled arrows pointing in the direction of Mecca so people are afforded the opportunity to pray as they wish."
    "I despise the man who does not guide his life by honour. The very word honour drives me mad". Khushal Khan Khattak

Re: bo bo for US in Afghanistan: Anti-U.S. Riot Turns Deadly in Afghanistan

I love how this makes you happy. Are you wanting kaos? Are you thirsty for more blood?

All I saw was some misguided Afghans ruin there own city, really smart.

4 of them died too.

Just ask the Ruskies and the Brits? Your a fool.
    Last edited by lexiconavenue; May 11, 2005, 08:17 PM.
    Be master of mind rather than mastered by mind.

Comment

[Edited]
      The incident spoke volumes of how vulnerable majority of muslims are to religious exploitation by a few. Instead of lodging a protest, or talking to their representitive elected officials, they take it to street. Bravo.
      What further amused me was the fact that they all heard it on Voice of America /BBC LOL. That alone is sufficient enough for me to believe that America's clandestine organizations are winning the war on terror.
      Step 1: Broadcast inciting news
      Step 2: Watch the crowds gather around a few
      Step 3: Identify/ profile/ scan the few.
      Step 4: Nab 'em (the few) one by one. They all come to papa to eat the bagels and drink menstrual blood at Gitmo.
      Step 5: Repeat step 1 at a later date.
      Last edited by Ma Mooli; May 12, 2005, 01:25 PM.
      Can you Hear me Now!! Good

Comment

Plus I wanted to add. Not to long ago (20-25 years), Some muslim smugglers from Jalaabad filled a truck load of qurans; they ripped the guts of quran and stuffed it with heroin and hash. No protests took place, even though the smugglers were caught.
        So is it OK for a muslim to stuff Quran with illicit drugs?

Comment

Mash'Allah, Afghanistan Forever!

Man look at the state we are in, and look at what we are doing, mash'allah, impressive to be honest.

No matter what, but Afghans will tolerate not even a WORD in disrespect to ISLAM! Allah o Akbar! Once the Super Power of Islamic Civilization, now economically and technically weak, but we never give up! Such is the spirit of PashtunWali - The Great Law of Afghan Tribal Confederation.

I see no other SO called MUSLIM nations voicing their anger over this incident, what's happening? Are we - Afghans - the only Muslims in the world? Are Afghans the only people that should care about Islamic affairs? Where is the brotherhood? I feel the world has come to an end, from the things that happen within Islamic society, i can surely say that the world will end in a short time, Allah SWT knows the best.

LONG LIVE AFGHANISTAN!
          .:: Aryan = Afghan = Pashtun - : PriDe ::.

Comment

^^ How is the islamic Poppy trade nowadays, whats the rate. Oh and did prostitution start again? Last time I checked it was booming as well.
            Long Live the beauiful women of afghanistan (just remember to bring air freshner).

Comment

Yeah i heard the news yesterday as well.. on one side iam angry at those ppl who were distroying the buildings and were killing innocent ppl.. goshh come on they were young students...
              and on the other hand i can't hear a word against islam... if these American people really did tat.. gosh i pray that they get such a punishment that No one ever in this world has ever seen.. as far as i can see pakhtoon ppl will never take it simple.. they are going to do worst than this... .
              I've kissed millions of frogs, but still no prince charming...
              Åchi ßachi Çlub

Comment

Such a ruckus over a book. If there was any desecration, it was done to a 'book', not the Quran. It seems Afgahanis would be more upset with the terrorists that used to run their country that used the Quran to justify the murder of innocent people more than the symbolism represented here.

Comment

Gosh do you suppose this protest was "organized"? Do you think someone has figured out what buttons to push to get Muslims angry? You know what gets me angry Afghans? Hiding Bin Laden gets me angry. Protecting a murderer. So maybe I should organize a violent street protest and kill four people.

And I agree with Seminole. A book is a book. The strength of the book comes from God and the believers in him. You can burn a lot of bibles before it becomes worth the deaths of 4 people in riots.
                  Boycott Venezuelas State owned Citgo.

Buy Royal Dutch Shell gasoline!

Comment

Originally posted by Verizon
                    Plus I wanted to add. Not to long ago (20-25 years), Some muslim smugglers from Jalaabad filled a truck load of qurans; they ripped the guts of quran and stuffed it with heroin and hash. No protests took place, even though the smugglers were caught.
                    Yeah that is right, this piece of news is brought to you by VBS. Verzion Broadcast Systems.(It needs no confirmation, because what VBS says must be the truth).
                    Weather forecast for tonight: dark.

Comment

Originally posted by Verizon
                      Why do you have to resort to the lowest denominator to justify or defend American actions? Face the issue on the facts. Admit the facts and apologize or refute the facts and disclaim responsibility, or just wait for the investigation to complete. Why put actions of American soldiers at par with two-bit smugglers?

And secondly, we have been through this same kinda discussion many times. When you know muslims don't tolerate dishonor of Quran or allow pictures of their religious figures and generally have a short fuse about blasphamous text against honorable Islamic personalities, they why keep harping about "its just a book" defence. It goes no where.
                      "Let your friends underestimate your virtues. Let your enemies overestimate your faults." - Godfather.

Comment

^^ Sure Kaleem I made that up. Why dont you go googling for it and see if it is VBS or truth. I am sure you will find it right next to the BS about USS Liberty that you have been using so lavishly.
                        The incident happened in Zia's time. Prior to that no one had heard of Heroin in Pakistan. It was after the soviet invasion, when we opened our border to let our Muslim brothers in from Afghanistan that they brought haffeeem/opium and heroin.

How they got caught was interesting, cause the Quraan were published in Karachi by Taj (I think that was the publisher), and when the truck was stopped, the smugglers told the checkpoint folks that they were taking the quraans to Karachi......
                        Read up before embarrasing yourself or accusing of someone of BSing.

Comment

Originally posted by Faisal
                          Why do you have to resort to the lowest denominator to justify or defend American actions? Face the issue on the facts. Admit the facts and apologize or refute the facts and disclaim responsibility, or just wait for the investigation to complete. Why put actions of American soldiers at par with two-bit smugglers?

And secondly, we have been through this same kinda discussion many times. When you know muslims don't tolerate dishonor of Quran or allow pictures of their religious figures and generally have a short fuse about blasphamous text against honorable Islamic personalities, they why keep harping about "its just a book" defence. It goes no where.
                          Excuse me. I am not justifying anything, just educating you with a bit of history, that muslims while claiming to be all nice and good aint. The same Fkers now *****ing in Jalabad were the same fkers shipping heroin.
                          Figuratively speaking.
                          Last edited by Verizon; May 12, 2005, 01:07 PM. Reason: wanted to add

Comment

Your last two words refuted your entire argument, actually. There is no basis to extrapolate the acts of a few two-bit smugglers to shift blame on the protestors in Jalalabad or, worse, suggesting that muslims all over the world are just waiting for the opportunity to stuff a quran with hasheesh. This is just a pretty lame line of argument.

So lets get back to the events (alleged, ofcourse) that happened in Guantanamo Bay, and if proven what should be the punishment of the culprits. Rather then talking about some inane smugglers. Or may be you can talk about US relations with Afghans, in general, and/or how Afghans perceive America.
                            "Let your friends underestimate your virtues. Let your enemies overestimate your faults." - Godfather.

Comment

Originally posted by Faisal

Probably becuase it is perplexing and exasperating as to why something unharmful to others ignites these short fuses. The symbolic desecratation of a book or a cartoon of a religous figure will cause fanatics to start riots, burn shops and kill bretheren, but important stuff like terrorists using their holy book and country as a launch pad to kill civilians world wide is ok. Talk about going nowhere.

Comment

Working...
                              X