'Bin Laden's nightmare' seeks Islamic reformation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Bin Laden's nightmare' seeks Islamic reformation

Any London Guppies going to see her this Thursday?

A Muslim woman author, once described as Osama bin Laden's worst nightmare, is to call for the setting up of an Islamic reform movement to press for a change in the faith's attitudes towards human rights, women and pluralist societies at a public meeting this week.

Irshad Manji, a Canadian-based writer and broadcaster, is to launch her campaign for Ijtihad (independent thinking) with a claim for Islamic pluralism and the aim of setting up a foundation for young, reform-minded Muslims to explore and challenge their faith.

"No community, no ethnicity, no culture and no religion ought to be immune from respecting the universality of human rights," she said.

"This, of course, is a controversial message in an age of cultural relativism. I truly believe we can become pluralists without becoming relativists.

"Through our screaming self-pity and conspicuous silences, we Muslims are conspiring against ourselves. We're in crisis and we are dragging the rest of the world with us. If ever there was a moment for an Islamic reformation, it is now."

Ms Manji is the author of the bestselling book The Trouble with Islam: A Call for Honesty and Change, which as well as being read in the west has been published in Pakistan and is to appear this year in Turkey, Iraq and India.

She has been lionised in North America, where the television host Oprah Winfrey gave her a "chutzpah award" and Ms magazine named her a feminist for the 21st century.

It was the New York Times that described her as Bin Laden's worst nightmare; the Jakarta Post named her as one of three women making a positive change to Islam.

Her message has also produced death threats. "There is no doubt some young Muslims detest me and my message," she said. "They tend to be the vocal and vitriolic ones.

"But everywhere I go I am quietly approached by Muslims, especially young women, who are desperate to know that it is possible to dissent with mainstream orthodoxy while remaining faithful. The challenge now is to help transform that underground hunger for change into an above-the-ground phenomenon.

"There are many more reform-minded Muslims out there, it's just that most of us are working in isolation. We need to develop these kinds of relationships, to rely on each other."

In an introduction to her book, Khaleel Mohammed, professor of religion at San Diego state university, wrote: "I should hate Irshad Manji. If Muslims listen to her they will stop listening to people like me, an imam who spent years at a traditional Islamic university. "She threatens my male authority and says things about Islam that I wish were not true. She has a big mouth ... but then I look into my heart and engage my mind and I come to a discomforting conclusion: Irshad is telling the truth."

· Irshad Manji, 7pm, Thursday May 12 at the Indian YMCA, 41 Fitzroy Square, London W1

http://www.guardian.co.uk/internatio...479419,00.html

Re: 'Bin Laden's nightmare' seeks Islamic reformation

LOL. Reform the word of god - this woman has serious ego issues not to mention penis envy.
    You can't fix stupid. So might as well troll them!

Comment

She's not reforming the word of God CM, where did you get that idea?

And where does the penis envy comment come from?

Comment

First the Quran and the concept of any religion is based on the word of God, any sort of reformation is reforming the word of God. Secondly i do believe she is homosexual.

Comment

First, reformation does not mean you are reforming the word of god CM, It’s about reforming the attitudes of it's followers.

Second, just because one is a lesbian does not mean they have penis envy.

Third, your signature is from a gay friendly band, are you sure you should be quoting it?

Comment

Green Day is gay freindly? hmmm.

Comment

Oh i have no problem with being gay friendily. She still has penis envy. All dikes do.

UTD when one mentions reformation you think directly of the split into protestants and catholics. There is definitely a discrepency between the two when it comes to the issues of religion and its context. That is what people want in Islam. However you can not reform the word of God. It will not happen.

Education will reform attitudes and practices. Reformation destroys a religion.

Comment

Originally posted by underthedome

A Muslim woman author

She is NOT Muslim. She is a munafiq.

Def: a hypocrite, one whose external appearance is Islam (praying, fasting, "activism", etc.) but whose inner reality conceals kufr - often unbeknownst to the person themselves. (See Al-Baqarah: 8-23). A Munafiq is more dangerous and worse than a Kafir.
                “First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.”

Comment

"Reformation of muslims" is a fine concept. I am sure no one will seriously disagree, including both liberal west and fanatic jihadis. They all have something they will like changed about current-day muslims (though usually very different expectations). "Reformation of Islam", however, is a term that is bound to rub people the wrong way.

Secondly, Irshad Manji is "Bin Laden's worst nightmare"? Give me a break! I am sure Bin Laden has better and bigger things to worry (and have nightmares) about. Manji is just an inconsequential post-script to a list of muslim crackpots, that routinely appear in all eras.
                  "Let your friends underestimate your virtues. Let your enemies overestimate your faults." - Godfather.

Comment

Ijtehaad is fine, but there are things that one can try to gauge as to how they apply in the modern day and age, e.g. interest rates and there are things that are quite clear and can not be changed.

she is more than welcome to become a scholar and go about doing ijtehaad in the right way on issues ranging from witnessing rules, to interest to travel without mehram etc. I am all for it.

Agree with it or not, if homosexuality is clearly stated as being disallowed then its disallowed.

Ills that manji talks about from her own life are societal crap which is paraded around as faith by followers of all religions. One would think that she would try to change the societal views and norms so they dont find the excuse of religion to hide behind. But then i suppose that does not generate much press.
                    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Comment

speaking of awards, when would bilquis edhi get some awards?
                      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Comment

I recently read her much publicized book, “The Trouble with Islam – Today” and I must say that she raises some very valid questions. Look at the some of the responses above. A brainwashed follower of Islam even refuses to listen to her, let alone what she might have to say. Let her speak her mind and you make your mind up after she is done.

I don’t know about Bin Laden, but her work sure is a slap in the face of male chauvinists who use Islam to keep women locked behind closed doors. I hope more women in the Islamic world step up to the plate to take their rightful place, a place that’s been denied to them by using Islam as an excuse. She is not here to change Islam (or the word of God) but to ask tough questions, as to what where and when, and also how. She is looking for answers. Looking for answers is not disallowed (or Haram).

Comment

madhanee

she stops at islam, while much of the crap she dealt in her life was because of general idiots she had to deal with.

Does she raise some good points, of course she does, but then she has lame crap there as well.

so now, just as discarding all of her points because some are lame is not right, so is accepting all her points because she has some right points.

I dont see it as an all or nothing package, but rabid suppoters and opposers of her do, maybe because all the concerns and questions are always bundled together that they remind me of the referendum that Zia had, recall his question on the ballot?

Comment

NYA Hitler raised some good points as well. Does that make him right?

Comment

So Fraudz, what would happen if she spoke her mind and believed in what she says that she does? Would that somehow push Islam in the Red Sea? If Mullahs can talk thru their ass without any consequence, why can’t she?

CM, what do you want me to say to that? If you grew 1 inch moustache, you will look like Mini Hitler.

Comment

Working...
                              X