PML-N, PPP want favourite COAS to escape graft cases: Imran

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here I agree with Imran Khan. Pakistan needs a very honest and brave leadership at the top which is crucial to Pakistan's survival. Present Pakistani coalition government, CAOS and courts should support this statement instead of going against Imran Khan. PPP is a great sufferer of this pick and choose CAOS mantra in past. Zia-ul-Haq and Musharraf were chosen by Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto and Nawaz Sharif ignoring seniority and competency. Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto was hanged and Nawaz Sharif was kicked out by their hand picked CAOS.

"Once bitten, twice shy"

LAHORE: Pakistan Tehreek-i-Insaf (PTI) Chairman Imran Khan on Sunday lashed out at the Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP) and Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) — major coalition partners in the incumbent government — saying both parties were opposing snap elections, because they wanted to “appoint an army chief of their choice” in November to save their skin in corruption cases.

Addressing a rally in Fais­alabad, the former prime minister said PPP leader Asif Ali Zardari and PML-N supremo Nawaz Sharif were making all-out efforts to bring their “favourite” army chief after the retirement of the incumbent chief in November this year. The new army chief should be chosen on merit, he said, adding Mr Zardari and Mr Sharif were “traitors” and should not be trusted with the fate of the country.

“They want to bring their own army chief…they are afraid that if a strong and patriotic army chief is appointed then he would ask them about the looted wealth,” Mr Khan said, adding that the PPP and PML-N chiefs were sticking to the power because of the fear of accountability.

“They are sitting [in the government] because they want to bring in an army chief of their choice through joint efforts,” he added. Imran Khan said the army chief should be “appointed on merit…whoever is on the top of the merit list should be appointed” to head the institution.

Gen Qamar Javed Bajwa, who was appointed in 2016, is set to retire in the last week of November. The army chief’s appointment is meant to be for three years, but Gen Bajwa was given an additional three-year term in 2019 after a bit of political drama.

Imran Khan further said the opposition leaders were afraid of holding snap elections because they know they will be wiped out from political arena when elections are held in the country.

He also bashed the coalition government over the state of the economy and quoted a report by the International Monetary Fund which, according to Mr Khan, had warned of unrest in Pakistan due to precarious economic situation. He added that early general elections were the only option to bring political and economic stability in the country.

Published in Dawn, September 5th, 2022

IK is saying lot of right things, but to achieve the wrong goal. IK is saying no one allowed him to work. From IG, DIG to judiciary, to COAS to bureaucracy to Election Commission to parliament to whatever, IK has not spared any one except those who are benefiting him such as KPK assembly these days. It is impossible for me to explain how this strategy works to someone who is unfamiliar with it but let me try.

Few years ago I was interviewing contractors for some kitchen and bathroom renovation work. One of the contractors seemed super honest. He pointed out many flaws in the work past contractors had done, he hated stealing, he just knew every concern I had and addressed it with his sales pitch. I was floored with his honesty and values, so gave him the contract. Within just 3 days I realized what a blunder I had made by giving him the contract ! For example, he was missing so many key tools and skilled helpers. When I tried to cancel the contract, he threatened me and created a scene in the neighborhood so I backed off. His excuses and arguments brilliantly made it all my fault. In short, when I look at IK, he too appears just like that contractor. From his sales pitch in the past, up till his brilliant arguments these days.

Comment

Originally posted by decentGuy View Post
      In short, when I look at IK, he too appears just like that contractor. From his sales pitch in the past, up till his brilliant arguments these days.
      You may be right, as Imran Khan's 3 and 1/2 years rule was not what he claimed before coming to power. I am just agreeing to his wisdom regarding appointment of CAOS purely on merits and seniority. However if Sharif/Zardari joint venture choses to follow ZAB and NS's mantra of appointing CAOS of their choice, their fate will be no different than ZAB and NS's. Mark my words. Change in the thinking is very much in need.

Comment

Originally posted by Sachaydino View Post

You may be right, as Imran Khan's 3 and 1/2 years rule was not what he claimed before coming to power. I am just agreeing to his wisdom regarding appointment of CAOS purely on merits and seniority. However if Sharif/Zardari joint venture choses to follow ZAB and NS's mantra of appointing CAOS of their choice, their fate will be no different than ZAB and NS's. Mark my words. Change in the thinking is very much in need.

Because of Covid choosing to wreak havoc soon after IK came into power? He still managed the economy as best as he could while the world was busy being shut down

If it were upto the PPP or PMLN, we'd pretty much be doomed already
        Last edited by Exoduss; 2 weeks ago.

Comment

^^^ That is factually incorrect. Pakistani economy under PTI had already started faltering before COVID19. The indecisiveness of PTI's Aristotle aka Asad Umer about going to IMF right after 2018 elections only created more problems. I cannot share the link of Financial Times story here, but search it with "Pakistan finance minister resigns over IMF deal criticism".

Covid19 actually helped Pakistani economy because loan re-payments got rescheduled, crude and LNG prices plunged. Many textile contracts from India were shifted to Pakistan due to massive lockdowns in India. Those were the days when Pakistan should have secured long term oil and gas supply contracts. Instead PTI's Aristotle criticized PML-N's 15-year LNG contracts with Qatar signed in 2016, which by the way are still suppling Pakistan with the cheapest LNG than any other contract signed by PTI. Still Shahid Khaqan Abbasi was sent to jail along with just about every other opposition leader. Just goes to show where were the priorities of PTI and how incompetent they were.

Comment

Working...
          X