Stories Of Abuse..........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stories Of Abuse..........

They claim the highest virtues in humanity, they are the stewards of the holy places, they export their ideology all over the world and yet they are responsible for the worst atrocities and the vilest human acts, WHY???? In the rare move they just handed death sentence to an employer for killing a maid.
    Female workers returning from Saudi Arabia say they suffered backbreaking working hours and sexual abuse.

Funny that husbands are perfectly okay with sending their wives to the middle east as long as money is involved while 'gairat' takes the backseat. I know South Asian men go to Middle East for construction labor work all the time which isn't easy but sending a woman to earn for the entire family is beyond preposterous.
    "Brevity is the soul of wit." Hamlet, William Shakespeare.

Comment

Originally posted by Cashmere View Post
      Funny that husbands are perfectly okay with sending their wives to the middle east as long as money is involved while 'gairat' takes the backseat. I know South Asian men go to Middle East for construction labor work all the time which isn't easy but sending a woman to earn for the entire family is beyond preposterous.
      Extreme poverty makes humans do unthinkable things, In Thailand parents sell their daughters into prostitution, in Syrian camps parents sell their daughters to old Saudi perverts so other kids can eat. I was watching a documentary which claimed that prostitution is rampant in Lahore. There is a heavy price to pay for poverty. We always had Phillipino nannies and the law here gives them all the rights and protections, I heard of some desi restaurant owners abusing Indian girls on work visas. I think corruption and bad values of society which leads to national poverty is great crime

Comment

Originally posted by Cashmere View Post
        I gather that you're not a proponent for equal rights.

Don't get me wrong, while I abhor the domestic help trade, I believe nobody that comes to the Middle East from South Asia to work menial jobs, is here by choice. Be it men or women.
        "Some people believe that necessity is the mother of Invention, but they're wrong, its War" - James May

Comment

Originally posted by Bobby1 View Post
          They claim the highest virtues in humanity, they are the stewards of the holy places, they export their ideology all over the world and yet they are responsible for the worst atrocities and the vilest human acts, WHY???? In the rare move they just handed death sentence to an employer for killing a maid.
          The pot calling the kettle black.

While Saudi's track record on human rights abuse is nothing to write home about, Qatari's are no saints either, their human rights abuses have been equally as bad, and Al-Jazeera is a Qatari owned news corporation.

This is nothing but a propaganda piece. What sucks is that they are using the plight of distraught & abused people, as a tool to further their own interests.
          "Some people believe that necessity is the mother of Invention, but they're wrong, its War" - James May

Comment

Originally posted by a7mado View Post

Don't get me wrong, while I abhor the domestic help trade, I believe nobody that comes to the Middle East from South Asia to work menial jobs, is here by choice. Be it men or women.
            We have tens of thousands of Filipino families who came in the west as domestic help and were given rights, living wages and went on to become citizens and bring their families in west, our previous nannies are now enjoying middle class status.

Unjustified arrogance is part of many societies, we find the term menial very offensive, even billionaires here will not use that term to describe anyone’s work.

You are right about human rights abuses in many ME countries, there are harrowing stories about domestic workers abuse from Pakistan also.

Societies get punished for collective bad decisions of allowing corruption, rights abuses, not valuing educations, allowing extremists to take control, the ensuing poverty leads to prostitution. Child abuses and all other evils

Comment

It is not about rights, but rather vulnerabilities, I doubt if the male workers have the same risk of getting raped. Those workers are not there by choice but abuse of human rights is a choice those societies make.

Comment

This is nothing but a propaganda piece. What sucks is that they are using the plight of distraught & abused people, as a tool to further their own interests.
                It does not matter who is calling out who, if in the end the plight of helpless and vulnerable people is highlighted in any way or form.
                I'm either at work, in gym, working in the garden, or in my beautiful wife's arms!

Comment

Originally posted by Bobby1 View Post
                  Unjustified arrogance is part of many societies, we find the term menial very offensive, even billionaires here will not use that term to describe anyone’s work.
                  I don't find the term 'menial jobs' to be degrading. It literally translate to unskilled jobs.

You are right about human rights abuses in many ME countries, there are harrowing stories about domestic workers abuse from Pakistan also.

Societies get punished for collective bad decisions of allowing corruption, rights abuses, not valuing educations, allowing extremists to take control, the ensuing poverty leads to prostitution. Child abuses and all other evils
                  I don't know man, people get harassed, assaulted, raped & killed everywhere, be it the slums of Liberia or within the grounds of Harvard.

Comment

Originally posted by navzzz View Post

It does not matter who is calling out who, if in the end the plight of helpless and vulnerable people is highlighted in any way or form.
                    It does. This is straight up exploitation.

Comment

The exploitation of migrant workers is not limited to Saudi Arabia, however oftentimes the sympathy is. As a migrant worker myself, I’ve always been told to shut up or go back whenever I complained. So it makes me kind of envy those exploited in Saudi Arabia who at least get a fanfare when they talk of their mistreatment.

I dislike those who habitually exploit a migrant worker regardless of the country. Let me talk a bit about the plight of migrant workers in the US to add some perspective to this issue. This country had the largest slave-system in history. There are many lessons in the institutional memory of this country. The long term cost of slavery is the main highlight. The huge black population in the US now is what is actually regretted, not the slavery. South America is the South Asia here. So the various migrant worker programs aimed at bringing in workers from South America are designed to keep the ‘good’ parts of slavery without the ‘bad’ parts. Saudi Arabia is 500 years behind in this sophisticated approach so looks worse than it actually is, and the US looks better than it actually is for such workers.

Comment

Yes we can blame most of the Abuse of Domestic Servants and Laborers or for that Matter all foreign Workers on the Iqama system in Saudi Arabia!

Well now I hear from a friend in Saudi that the Kingdom is doing away with the need for Iqama i.e. or the Sponsor who holds your Iqama....

so Like MLK said free at last! free at Last! thank God Almighty the Foreign Workers are free at last!...

So what is the situation on the ground inside Saudi Kingdom I can not say!
                        Balaghal-ula bi-kamaalihi / Kashafad-duja bi-jamaalihi / Hasunat jameeu khisaalihi / Sallu alaihi wa aalihi

Comment

Originally posted by decentGuy View Post
                          The exploitation of migrant workers is not limited to Saudi Arabia, however oftentimes the sympathy is. As a migrant worker myself, I’ve always been told to shut up or go back whenever I complained. So it makes me kind of envy those exploited in Saudi Arabia who at least get a fanfare when they talk of their mistreatment.
                          Dude, no offense but verbal abuse hardly qualifies you to compare yourself to the beaten and the downtrodden, lol. Life is difficult if you're a migrant worker in the middle east. especially if you have no trade skills. Unlike in the west, where people doing "dirty jobs" get remunerated handsomely, a garbage man in Kuwait earns less than $200 a month, has his passport confiscated upon arrival, is forced into a 3 year contract with his employer, is crammed into a roach infested studio apartment with about 19 other people all of whom share the same toilet, has no say in when he gets to go back home, gets routinely mistreated by his superiors, etc... and $200 is not even remotely enough to survive here, let alone be sending money back home to your family.

Unless you're working upper management or run a successful business, life in this region can be very, VERY difficult.

Comment

Originally posted by decentGuy View Post

I dislike those who habitually exploit a migrant worker regardless of the country. Let me talk a bit about the plight of migrant workers in the US to add some perspective to this issue. This country had the largest slave-system in history. There are many lessons in the institutional memory of this country. The long term cost of slavery is the main highlight. The huge black population in the US now is what is actually regretted, not the slavery. South America is the South Asia here. So the various migrant worker programs aimed at bringing in workers from South America are designed to keep the ‘good’ parts of slavery without the ‘bad’ parts. Saudi Arabia is 500 years behind in this sophisticated approach so looks worse than it actually is, and the US looks better than it actually is for such workers.
                            Sometimes playing victim is easier than taking responsibility of our bad attitude, CEOs of corporations like Google, Microsoft, Master Card are Indians, Obama was son of an African immigrant, Kamala Devi is of Indian decent. The world owes USA the debt of gratitude for forcing the world to abolish slavery. We are not talking about past but present.

Even in present the Ssudi influenced ISIS and Boko Haram took little girls as slaves and gang raped them.

There are laws against discrimination and no employer can use those words.

It really is obvious that you hate this society so why do you find it offensive when people question why you are here? We just had PIA
                            disappear here, is it because they hate us?

Trouble makers of any ethnicity are not appreciated in any organization they like to hire people who cooperate and are not insubordinate and don’t bring the morale of the entire team down.

Comment

US didn't force anyone to abolish slavery. It was the British that played a major role.

Comment

Working...
                              X