If the world could vote...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If the world could vote...

...in this year's US presidential elections, it's clear who the winner would be ;~)

Astonishing: 74% of polled Norwegians would prefer Kerry, against 7% for Bush... But don't lose heart my Bush-lovers; in the Phillipines, 57% of those polled would prefer Bush to be re-elected, the highest support for him in any country outside of the US. i wonder about other countries such as Israel.

World 'wants Kerry as president', BBC, 9 September 2004

A new poll in 35 countries suggests that people around the world would prefer Democratic challenger John Kerry as US president over George W Bush.

Global research company GlobeScan Inc and the University of Maryland found clear leads for Mr Kerry among those polled in 30 of the countries. Only Filipino, Polish and Nigerian respondents clearly backed Mr Bush.

Most said Mr Bush's foreign policy had made them feel worse about the US since his election in 2000.

Meanwhile, a new survey of American and European public attitudes also suggested there had been a dramatic leap in the latter's criticism of US foreign policy. More than three-quarters of Europeans surveyed in 10 countries by the German Marshall Fund of the US said they disapproved of President Bush's international actions, 20% more than two years ago. The survey also showed sharp differences in how governments should respond to potential threats from terrorism and weapons of mass destruction.

More than 80% of Americans thought war could achieve justice - more than twice the proportion of Europeans.

The GlobeScan/Maryland poll, of 34,330 people, was conducted mainly in July and August.

POLL RESULTS (KERRY-BUSH)
    Norway: 74%-7%
    Germany: 74%-10%
    France: 64%-5%
    Italy: 58%-14%
    Spain: 45%-7%
    UK: 47%-16%
    Canada: 61%-16%
    Mexico: 38%-18%
    Brazil: 57%-14%
    China: 52%-12%
    Japan: 43%-32%
    Indonesia: 57%-34%
    India: 34%-33%

~ ~ ~

Philippines: 32%-57%
    Nigeria: 33%-27%
    Poland: 26%-31%
    Thailand: 30%-33%
    Source: GlobeScan Inc/University of Maryland PIPA

"Only one in five want to see Bush re-elected," said Steven Kull, the director of Maryland's Program on International Policy Attitudes (PIPA). "Though he is not as well known, Kerry would win handily if the people of the world were to elect the US president."

Mr Kerry scored best in traditional US allies, such as Canada and Western European countries. The highest margin was in Norway, where 74% of respondents backed Mr Kerry compared with just 7% for Mr Bush. The strongest negative views about US foreign policy appeared to come from Germany, where 83% said their view of the US had got worse.

Respondents in all the Latin American countries polled, including neighbours Mexico, also went for the Democrat, with the biggest majority - 57% to 14% - in Brazil. The picture was more mixed in Asia. Only respondents in the Philippines clearly backed Mr Bush, but there was an almost even divide in India and Thailand.

Organisers of the poll attributed the Philippine result to US aid to a military campaign against Islamist rebels in the south of the country.

Living proof that the average person doesnt know jack about American politics. Someone please explain to me what they think will actually change under Kerry?

The Patriot Acts wont be revoked. The immigration laws are here to stay. Draconian laws will be enforced at random.

On the international front: Do people think that Kerry would actually not go to war or attack another country if the safety of the US depended on it?
    You can't fix stupid. So might as well troll them!

Comment

It recently occurred to me that OBL most likely wants Bush to win the election. That's the main reason why I'm considering voting for Kerry.

As far the rest of these countries, I don't give a shet what they think.

Comment

Originally posted by CM:
        On the international front: Do people think that Kerry would actually not go to war or attack another country if the safety of the US depended on it?
        Yes he would, but Iraq was not a threat to safety of the US.
        “First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.”

Comment

Then in senate why did Kerry vote for the war on Iraq?

http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/08/09/kerry.iraq/
          You can't fix stupid. So might as well troll them!

Comment

Originally posted by Stu:
            It recently occurred to me that OBL most likely wants Bush to win the election. That's the main reason why I'm considering voting for Kerry.

As far the rest of these countries, I don't give a shet what they think.

And then they ask why.......
            who stole the sun from the sky

Comment

Originally posted by CM:
              Then in senate why did Kerry vote for the war on Iraq?

http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/08/09/kerry.iraq/
              Because he was mislead like all of us by White House that Iraq had WMD. I supported the war too at that time.
              “First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.”

Comment

Originally posted by skhan:
                Would you care what Americans think about the next caliphate or dictator of Pakistan?

Comment

Saari duniya bewaqoof, aur aik aadmi ko pata hai ke kiya hona chahiyay.

Anyway, I think the whole world, just as many in the US is suffering from ABB syndrome. They are not sure if Kerry would be better or worse, but they are just sick of Bush and his policies and are willing to see anyone replace him. If their wish is granted in 8 weeks time, we'd then know if they were right or not.
                  "Let your friends underestimate your virtues. Let your enemies overestimate your faults." - Godfather.

Comment

Originally posted by Seminole:
                    Would you care what Americans think about the next caliphate or dictator of Pakistan?
                    Pakistan is not a self acknowledged leader of the free world and it does not go about invading other countries under the facade of liberation and freedom.
                    who stole the sun from the sky

Comment

Pakistan is not a self acknowledged leader of the free world and it does not go about invading other countries under the facade of liberation and freedom.
                      So, because the US became the leader of the world through hard work, ingenouity, perseverance, entrepreneurship and following the principles of human rights and democracy, their leaders are to be picked by others that haven't? Sorry, but you if you play for the Tampa Bay Devil Rays you don't get to pick the coach of the Boston Red Sox and I don't think the Red Sox players give a crap if that bothers you or not.

Comment

Actually, I don't because I couldn't give a sh!t about that either jr.

Go Red Sox BTW!

Comment

This was posted as a light-hearted thread, people. sheesh. Does the concept of humour mean nothing in this forum ? yes i know some of us hate the weasly French and we don't give a "shet" about their opinion; some of us hate Bush and would like to see the end of him. That's fabulous, let's all continue to live in our mutual hatreds of each other. i'm certain that will get us very, very far.

uff! Lighten up folks.

Comment

If the world gets to vote in our elections, then we get to vote in theirs?

Any votes for Chirac? Anyone?

I'll send some hanging chads to Canada, "Freedom for Quebec!".

Benazir was 'kinda cute, vote for her in Pakistan.

And Manny for MVP! :biggthumb
                            Boycott Venezuelas State owned Citgo.

Buy Royal Dutch Shell gasoline!

Comment

Originally posted by Ohioguy:
                              Benazir was 'kinda cute, vote for her in Pakistan.

:yukh: And i thought you had good taste!

Thank you, OG. At least someone around here has a sense of humour! whoa... i am shocked. i hope that little smile that peeped out from between everyone's lips didn't injure anyone i know we're not used to smiling around here in this uptight forum.

eh, and who's Manny?

Comment

Working...
                              X