Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suicide bombers kills 8 Iraq civilians, injuries 44

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Suicide bombers kills 8 Iraq civilians, injuries 44

    The resistance continues its fight against the Iraqi people.

    ...........
    BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- Twin suicide vehicle-bomb attacks on a coalition base south of Baghdad on Wednesday morning killed eight Iraqis, U.S. military officials said, the latest in a series of bloody strikes harming civilians, military officials said.

    The attacks injured 44 people, including 12 coalition troops -- ten Polish, one American and one Hungarian, officials said. The two bombers also died.

    The attack happened at 7:15 a.m. (11:15 p.m. Tuesday ET) when a car loaded with explosives attempted to run a gate at Camp Charlie, a multinational coalition base in Hilla, Polish Army Maj. Andrzej Wiatrowski said.

    Soldiers fired on the vehicle, killing the driver. A truck following close behind ran into the first car, causing both to explode, he said.

    Col. Gerardo Layug, a Filipino commander at the base, said he thinks the first car bomb was meant to clear the way for the second vehicle, with the aim of allowing the bomb-laden vehicle to penetrate the heart of the camp before exploding.

    The base in Hilla, 60 miles (90 kilometers) south of Baghdad, is a former Iraqi police academy.

    Meanwhile on Wednesday, in an overnight raid in Baqubah, U.S. forces and Iraqi police detained 22 people who were part of a group of anti-coalition insurgents, U.S. Army Col. William Adamson said.

    Adamson said the military suspects that seven of the detainees have ties to al Qaeda and helped coordinate a suicide car bombing in mid-January in Baqubah.

    Wednesday's assault in Hilla follows insurgent attacks last week in Iskandariyah, Baghdad and Fallujah. Those strikes killed more than 125 people.

    The violence comes at a critical phase, as plans are negotiated for the U.S.-led coalition to turn political power over to the Iraqis at the end of June. The Iraqi Governing Council and the Coalition Provisional Authority are awaiting a United Nations report on whether direct elections before June 30 are possible.

    On Wednesday, the attackers tried to enter through a side entrance near the front of the buildings used to train specialized police units, said Col. Sukarno Ikbala, another Filipino commander. The side entrance is not well fortified and is protected by a sole guard post, he said.

    Had the vehicles entered the compound, troop casualties would have been much higher as troops were eating breakfast in the mess hall at the time of the blast, he said.

    Damage to the base was minor, Ikbala said. Many of civilian houses on the outer wall were destroyed.

    Insurgent rewards increased
    To quell the continuing violence, the U.S.-led coalition said Tuesday it is increasing the rewards it offers for the capture of the insurgents attacking coalition soldiers, Iraqi security personnel and civilians who work with the coalition.

    The reward system puts targets into three categories, with different bounties for each, said U.S. Army Brig. Gen. Mark Kimmitt.

    The coalition will pay:

    $1 million for 10 outstanding members of what the coalition calls the "strategic blacklist," all of whom appear on the Pentagon's list of the 55 Most Wanted Iraqis.

    $200,000 for former 11 regime officials with regional responsibilities.

    $50,000 each for 20 local terror cell operatives.

    Kimmitt also announced a $1 million reward for Mohammed Yunis, whom Kimmitt described as a top insurgent. Coalition officials did not provide any more information about Yunis, except for a couple of aliases: Mohammed Yonis al Ahmed Al Moali and Khadr Al-Sabahi.

    The more the military understands the insurgency's organizational structure, the more officials hear the same names, Kimmitt said.

    "Those are the targets we're going after and that's one of the reasons we're raising the price for rewards," he said.

    He said the insurgency does not appear to be controlled from a central point, but is rather more like a "series of cells with loose association between each other," he said.

    Last week, the military announced $10 million rewards posted for top fugitives Ibrahim Izzat al-Douri and Abu Musab al-Zarqawi.

    Al-Douri, who was a member of the former ruling Baathist Party's inner circle, is the highest ranking fugitive on the Iraqi 55 Most Wanted List, at No. 6.

    Al-Zarqawi is an insurgent of Jordanian descent who the military said most likely wrote a letter meant for al Qaeda leadership in Afghanistan. The letter, obtained with the capture of an al Qaeda courier last month, claims responsibility for several terror attacks on the coalition in Iraq and calls for the fomenting of violence against Shiites to promote civil war.

    The coalition paid a $1 million reward to an Iraqi who provided critical information that led to the arrest last month of Khamis Sirhan al-Muhammad, a Baath Party regional chairman for the Karbala governorate, Coalition Provisional Authority spokesman Dan Senor said.

    Coalition officials said "significant security" is provided to people who have won rewards.

    http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/meast/...ain/index.html

    #2
    what a shame, the tactics against US military have been countered, and have sent NGOs packing and back, so now these "resistance forces" want to attack innocent ppl for what? to bully them and create fear so people are disconent or to get them to revolt en-masse against US forces, since the average ppl do not feel secure?

    lame approach..
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

    Comment

    Working...
    X