President Musharraf calls for debate on 'Hudood' laws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

President Musharraf calls for debate on 'Hudood' laws

President Musharraf called for a debate on the country's Hadood or Islamic laws which mostly deal with crimes of adultery or rape and are widely considered to be discriminatory towards women. Introduced by General Zia ul-Haq in the 1980s, the ordinance requires four male Muslim witnesses to a rape before a conviction can be secured. The president said that the Hadood Ordinance was a "very touchy and thorny issue" which required more public debate.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/3475189.stm

Once again President Musharraf is taking the lead on initiating a debate on the persecution of women in Pakistan by a small extremist minority of men. Let's hope that there is an open debate, without the usual name-calling and these laws can be reformed to better protect women rather than be used to abuse them?

Good move! Its hard to get rid of the damage Mr. Zia inflicted upon the nation. From Ojhri Camp to Hudood... Musharraf being a daring and a broad minded person alone has the ability to transform this country and get rid of the idiocy and jahalat that sometimes prevails in the country.

Comment

In light of the way most of our esteemed parliamentarians are behaving these days over this issue, I think President Musharraf should supsend parliament. Then he can push through reform of the hudood laws and other discrimnatory laws by Presidential decree, instead of going through the elected jahils, who would block such moves.

Comment

I think this thread is completely misleading. 'Honour killings' are not Hudood and have no basis from Islam. This is not the same as the hudood for example such as chopping the hand of the thief or lashing the fornicator. Honour killings highlight the dangers of man made legislation because the whole concept stems from the mind of man. It is tribalistic and a Jahil practice - which the media have enjoyed portraying as Islamic.

The Islamic system honoured woman by giving them rights in marriage, voting, inheritance and divorce over 1400 years ago. It is the lack of implementing Islam in Pakistan which has caused these problems today. I fail to see how this current discussion has anything to do with the hudood. Islam resolves, not causes, this problem of honour killings.

This only highlights Musharraf's ignorance about Islam and his relentless crusade against it.

Comment

Now even the son of Maulana Maududi seems to be backing President Musharraf...

http://www.dawn.com/2004/04/02/nat8.htm

Maudoodi's son terms Hudood laws un-Islamic

Haider Farooq Maudoodi, son of Jamaat-i-Islami founder Maulana Abulala Maudoodi, has emphasized the need for reforming the Hudood Ordinance, which he termed un-Islamic. In a statement issued here on Thursday, he appealed to the PML-Q leadership to table a bill in the parliament for reforming the "cruel" Hudood Ordinance without fear of reaction from the religious parties. The chief of his own faction of Jamaat, Mr Farooq, said the ordinance promulgated by Gen Ziaul Haq prosecuted the victim instead of the oppressor. He said since the law required the complainant to produce four witnesses, it made it impossible to punish the rapists. The requirement of so many witnesses in rape cases was un-Islamic, illogical and cruel, he said, arguing that no rape was ever committed anywhere in the world in the presence of four witnesses.

He termed the standard of honesty of witnesses required in the Law of Evidence unrealistic, adding that even pious leaders like Qazi Husain Ahmad and Senator Maulana Samiul Haq could not fulfil these requirements. He said the laws related to Qisas and Diyat also dated to the tribal era. The situation created by Zina and Qisas Ordinances was demoralizing as culprits of honour-killings got released from police stations by striking a deal with the victims. He said the state was responsible for the security of life and property of every citizen, but it prevented the victims from becoming complainants, which amounted to encouraging the killers. He said the Federal Shariat Court had also completed its review of Hudood laws, which should be repealed forthwith.

Comment

All i say is that Pakistan should move one, all the muslim countrys paint a view that they are islamic but their laws trample their peoples rights and the world knows it. Mabye if pakistan sets a precident we just might show that we are truly heading towards a developing world! Pakistan Zindabad!

Comment

i am not surprised! after all he is MUNAFQ. it is every munafq's duty to get rid of anything that is islamic or even has word islam in it.
              now i believe if dajjal becomes pakistan's president, there will be people supporting him and saying he is the best thing ever happened to pakistan.

Comment

Originally posted by Spock:
                Good move! Its hard to get rid of the damage Mr. Zia inflicted upon the nation. From Ojhri Camp to Hudood... Musharraf being a daring and a broad minded person alone has the ability to transform this country and get rid of the idiocy and jahalat that sometimes prevails in the country.
                Yes Musharraf is daring and broad minded, but what changes and who remains is in the hands of Allah. I pray hudood law's implementation which needs review is improved and then implemented well across the board. And also, may Allah grant Musharraf the vision to change the old, stinking judicial system which gives no justice and serves the rich only.

Comment

About time. But why a debate? It is time to amend or repeal this barbaric so called law. Any law that says "Women is not equal to Man" is no law.

Comment

Originally posted by xguru:
                    About time. But why a debate? It is time to amend or repeal this barbaric so called law. Any law that says "Women is not equal to Man" is no law.
                    if muslim what a jark, if not then sorry
                    now i believe if dajjal becomes pakistan's president, there will be people supporting him and saying he is the best thing ever happened to pakistan.

Comment

Originally posted by Islamabad:

Yes Musharraf is daring and broad minded, but what changes and who remains is in the hands of Allah. I pray hudood law's implementation which needs review is improved and then implemented well across the board. And also, may Allah grant Musharraf the vision to change the old, stinking judicial system which gives no justice and serves the rich only.
                      Exactly. All religious and political parties need to look past their biases, and work together reform these laws and restore equality in Pakistan.

Comment

Working...
                      X