Happy Defence Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Happy Defence Day

To all Pakistanis, today is Defence Day. The day the '65 war started. This short lived war eventually went on to have very long term implications for both Pakistan and India, but in any case, Id like to keep this thread void of such politics. I just wrote to encourage all to take a minute to read about this day/war if possible, and pray for all the soldiers who laid down their lives in the path of Allah SWT so we today, can still call Pakistan a free country.
    I have heard a few stories about the Chawinda battle from my folks, and will share them later.
    Thanks to all the Defence forces of Pakistan, the Army, the Navy, and the Air Force for their services.

My family has a long tradition of military service in all the three services, with a long line of retired and serving officers - I salute them all.

And I salute all those brave Pakistani's who sacrificed their lives for the survival of our nation back in 1965. May they rest in peace and Allah grant them paradise... http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/smile.gif

Comment

Akif Thanks for posting this thread – Happy Defense Day to you too. For all of those who wants to read about 1965 war, www.pakdef.com has some good stuff.

Many thanks to Pak forces for fighting for our freedom and nation, may they rest in peace ameen http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/smile.gif

Does anyone know the tarana of this war, was it ’Ae puttar hataN te nai wikde’ or that ’Allah hu Akbar’ one or some other?

Comment

I salute everybody who put down his or her life for the creation of pakistan.
        Those in the military and others who fought side by side with the arms forces.
        We owe our freedom of life and religion to these People.
        I hope they are in Jannat.

------------------
        CROIRE A L'INCROYABLE
        You can't fix stupid. So might as well troll them!

Comment

Originally posted by sabah:

Does anyone know the tarana of this war, was it ’Ae puttar hataN te nai wikde’ or that ’Allah hu Akbar’ one or some other?
          Saba ji...i dont think it was either of these. Definitely not the punjabi one, cause i cant see a national song being made from a regional language. I dont know if there was any particular tarana for this war. Lots of song were written, and the one that i always remember is "aye watan kay sajeelay jawano, merey naghmey tumharey liye hain" by noor jehan.

I have personally known a few Pak army vets who have participated in the '65 war, and their stories always get my adrenaline going. Who can forget the biggest tank battle after the 2nd world war, fought in the chawinda sector, Sialkot, where Pakistani forces, despite being outnumbered and outmanned, were much more organized and fearless, and managed to push back the enemy before they could physically enter the vicinity of the city. The one story that brings tears to eyes, is one of Pak infantarians tying bombs to their bodies, and laying down, playing dead, cause the Indian tanks thought it was 'fun' driving tanks over the bodies of shaheeds. Knowing this fact, lots of Pak army soldiers went ahead and tied explosives to their bodies, and played dead, and when they were run over by tanks, the bombs went off, taking the whole tank with them.

Then who can forget Squadron Leader M. M. Alam. He still holds the record for shooting down the most planes in the shortest amount of time. What a shot. Well done sir. I think it was 6 planes shot in 11 minutes? or the other way around? Will have to look into it.

On a lighter note, a cousin of mine was born in the first week of the war, when the tank battle was in full swing, and the minute he was born, a bomb landed right outside their house, causing extensive damage, but thankfully, no loss of life. To this day, my cousins nickname is "bum" (bomb).

[This message has been edited by Akif (edited September 06, 2000).]

Comment

Thanks Akif I’ve heard this tarana too http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/smile.gif

>> The one story that brings tears to eyes, is one of Pak infantarians tying bombs to their bodies, and laying down, playing dead, cause the Indian tanks thought it was 'fun' driving tanks over the bodies of shaheeds. Knowing this fact, lots of Pak army soldiers went ahead and tied explosives to their bodies, and played dead, and when they were run over by tanks, the bombs went off, taking the whole tank with them. <<

I’ve read about 1965 war, I’ve even read made-ups, but never heard that our soldiers have done this much for us – and all this happened at a time when we were at our lowest, no moral, unity or matching weapons. I think my grand father was in Sialkot sec. during the war I wish he still was a live – so I could have asked him about the war. Could you tell us more about those we never hear or read about, please?

Happy birthday to you cousin bum, btw. http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/smile.gif

Comment

Sabah,

They were not soldiers but ordinary citizens from Sialkot area. However I do not dispute their heroic act. It went down the drain when Ayub Khan declared cease-fire and returned all the lands to India won in the War.

Sincerely,

FARID

Comment

Farid......they were soldiers, alongwith citizens. The citizens did take a passive part in the war on the sialkot front, but the chawinda battle was fought by our jawans, and thats where the famous tank battle was fought.

Comment

Working...
                X