"One stop shopping" for nuclear weapons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"One stop shopping" for nuclear weapons

Regardless of how problematic the nuclear proliferation turned out (or can turn out) for Pakistan, when you read the dossiers of information compiled by the international agencies, it makes for fascinating reading. Without offering any personal views of "right" or "wrong", I'd say one thing. I always thought Dr Khan as a brilliant scientist. Turns out he is not only that, but he is also a enterpreneur who'd set up such a vast network of suppliers and provided all the help anyone would need to build a nuclear weapon. Quite interesting.

The story was reported in many newspapers in US. Quoting from one source. Read on
    • Source

U.S. and U.N. investigators say Khan's nuclear trading network represents one of the most egregious cases of nuclear proliferation ever discovered. Using suppliers and middlemen scattered across three continents, the network delivered a variety of machines and technology for enriching uranium, a key ingredient in nuclear weapons. In the case of Libya, at least, it provided blueprints for the bombs themselves.

Khan's network provided "one-stop shopping" for nuclear technology and parts, said a senior U.S. official, who described how supply met demand in what amounted to a centralized ordering system.

Diplomats familiar with the Pakistan operation say Khan and his closest associates were the "salesmen" who filled orders for Libya and other customers. In the case of Libya, representatives of Libyan leader Moammar Gaddafi contacted the Pakistanis, who relayed the requests to middlemen.

The middlemen, in turn, found suppliers to produce the necessary components. Finished parts were then shipped to a firm in Dubai, which arranged for delivery to Libya. The interception of a significant shipment of components in Italy last fall led to Gaddafi's decision to eliminate his nonconventional weapons programs, U.S. officials contend.

Companies or individuals in at least seven countries, including Pakistan, were involved, knowledgeable officials said. Among the countries known to be involved are Malaysia, South Africa, Japan, the United Arab Emirates and Germany. A company in another European country was also involved, two diplomats said.

The commodities produced for Libya ranged from electronics and vacuum systems to high-strength metals used in manufacturing gas centrifuges, which are used in making enriched uranium.

"It was a remarkable network that was able in the end to provide a turn-key gas centrifuge facility and the wherewithal to make more centrifuges," said former IAEA inspector David Albright, a physicist who has studied the nuclear procurement networks of Iran and Libya. "The technology holder was always Khan. Suppliers came and went, but Khan was always there."
    "Let your friends underestimate your virtues. Let your enemies overestimate your faults." - Godfather.

Maybe itís not the scope of this thread but could someone open another thread and list down the accomplishments of Dr. Khan? Please. Like his discoveries as a scientists, published papers regarding his work and you know all that good stuff.
    I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    - Robert McCloskey

Comment

Interesting comments coming from the Indian Foreign Minister (although we all pretty much know it already). Is there any other source for this statement, other than this

[thumb=E]Indian_FM12080_4949086.JPG[/thumb]
      "Let your friends underestimate your virtues. Let your enemies overestimate your faults." - Godfather.

Comment

Working...
      X