Opportunity Cost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opportunity Cost

With the economy currently the way it is a lot of my friends have had to settle for less the spectacular jobs to make ends meet. Since guppies here represent a wide variety of fields, locations, etc, I am curious as to what would be the minimum salary (per hour) at which you would continue working and below which you would rather just stay at home.

Please give the salary amount in $/hr, your level (student, investment banker etc) and location.

I think i would stop working if I was earning less then $6/hr as a student.

Well unemployment benefits are for only 20 some weeks and are a paltry sum. The job market situation is what will dictate the decision. Lets say you are making $100K and lose your job, if a job comes around paying you $80K, you may or may not take it depending on how long you think it will take for you to land a job which pays you the same amount you were earning. The unemployment benefits are pretty low, question is..do you feel confident that by the time you exhaust your unemployment benefits and dig deep into your savings that you will find something better? The answer will depend on each person, their risk tolerance, financial picture, industry situation, network etc
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Comment

.. few years back when I came to North America.. a gora Baba told me ..its not important how much u make here - but how much u save.. I didnt listened to him though though have started realizing.. I ignored high offers when market was at peak and was perplexed like so many others when I tried in real life.. though using my under grad degree I landed in an engineering job.. paying less but statble for years..
      Saints are fine for Heaven, but they are hell on earth.

Comment

I agree with both of you .... but what I wanted to know was in the current economic market ... what would be bare minimum with whatever commitments you have in life ... that you would work for..

Comment

I think I can deal with a 30% drop. I had to face this possibility when i was moving out of consulting, because usually consulting to industry has a compensation drop and the decision was my financial commitments as well as how much was not travelling and having more stability worth.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Comment

.. take any offer.. think bout it as a coop or internship.. $ value changes all the time..
            Saints are fine for Heaven, but they are hell on earth.

Comment

Re: Opportunity Cost

Originally posted by hmcq:

I think i would stop working if I was earning less then $6/hr as a student.
              Where you work at?

If you are experiencing job for the first time, that's fine.

Don't worry about the Market condition. It's gonna recover in fall

Comment

Re: Re: Opportunity Cost

Originally posted by Pakistani Tiger:

Where you work at?

If you are experiencing job for the first time, that's fine.

Don't worry about the Market condition. It's gonna recover in fall

Ladies and Gentlemen I think Alan Greenschmuck has predicted the recovery. Can you please provide the basis of such an assertion?

Thanks, Anxiously looking forward to it

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Opportunity Cost

Originally posted by Chaltahai:
                  Can you please provide the basis of such an assertion?

it was that tV psychic lady, sister whats her name

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: Opportunity Cost

Originally posted by Fraudz:

it was that tV psychic lady, sister whats her name
                    LOL Fraudz!! Her links have more credibility.

Yeah MON!

Comment

LOL! Sheesh! PT man... u r something

When, I first read his post, for some reason I read it "its gonna recover after all" and I thought why is CH picking on him again. But "fall"...? shoot!
                      "Let your friends underestimate your virtues. Let your enemies overestimate your faults." - Godfather.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Opportunity Cost

Ladies and Gentlemen I think Alan Greenschmuck has predicted the recovery. Can you please provide the basis of such an assertion?

Wow, first mocking and then looking forward for my opinion

Comment

Originally posted by Faisal:
                          LOL! Sheesh! PT man... u r something

So....if I'm then what....

When, I first read his post, for some reason I read it "its gonna recover after all" and I thought why is CH picking on him again. But "fall"...? shoot!
                          Old Habits Die Hard

Comment

PT: Please provide the right indicators and your analysis why you think the economy will turn around in the fall.

thanks,

CH

Comment

PT: Please provide the right indicators and your analysis why you think the economy will turn around in the fall.

thanks,

CH
                              Nah!

Comment

Working...
                              X