medical college in pakistan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

medical college in pakistan

i am looking for help on how to get into medical colleges in pakistan.
    are there any ppl here that know how to get into DOW or SMC or AKU.
    what are the requirements for foreign students.
    i heard of Al-Shifa in islamabad, is that good?

------------------
    Pyaar Bhi Zindagi Ki Tarah Hota Hay.
    Hur Mor Asan Nahin Hota, Hur Mor Pay Khushi Nahin Milti;
    Pur Jub Hum Zindagi Ka Saath Nahin Chortay To Pyaar Ka Saath Kyon Chorayn
    "maybe u weren't born to scale mountains, or stop wars, or draw a masterpiece. maybe ur purpose in life is greater than that, you'll touch a heart, make a friend, and give someone so much happiness, u'll feel like u've lived your life." -dewani teri

Check for the following
    Medical Colleges
    Baqai Medical College
    Hamdard Medical College
    There is a private medical college in islamabad I forgot its name
    in NWFP there is Frontier Medical College
    and Gandhara
    I think almost all have web sites
    How can a man die better than facing fearful odds for the ashes of his fathers and the Temple of his Gods?

Comment

Salam dewana tera jee,

The best medical college in Pakistan is, in my opinion, Aga Khan University Hospital in Karachi. It is very competitive. There is also King Edward medical college in Lahore and DOW medical in Karachi which are also excellent.

The atmosphere in government and private colleges is very different, and the atmosphere in government colleges depends on which city they are in too. There is things like the teachers never being there for lectures, student politics and absence of lab facilities etc in a lot of govt colleges.

There are government colleges in a lot of cities like Peshawar, Rawalpindi, Jamshoro, Sukkhar, Larkana etc, (I think), and some of them are not so competitive but that have their own specific admissions criteria.

Then there are many other small private colleges, which are not that competitive to get into, for example as Zakk jee mentioned Hamdard, Baqai etc in Karachi.

The criteria for AKU is merit and it is a little bit expensive. For government colleges, merit and contacts are both useful I think. Then for private colleges, minimal merit but ability to pay is required.

Most people go to medical college in Pakistan after doing Pre medical in FSc, or having passed A levels with biology/chemistry, that is basically, after high school level. However, I think separate colleges have separate criteria.

Your best bet would be to do a lot of web searches on google.com and go to the homepages of whichever medical colleges have websites and gather info from there. They alo might contain email addresses of current students or alumni whom you could contact and gather info from.

Best of luck. Feel free to ask any other questions you might have and I will try to answer them to the best of my knowledge inshallah, though I must admit I am no expert.

Comment

In regards to foreign students in particular, I think all the requirements for local students hold, but I think they have to pay a little bit more.

Comment

Well i was looking into paki med school, dental to be specific, as somebody had already said that KE and AKU and the best to get in, y dont u go a head n search on this website to look at the paki-med-school websites, they give u all of them, n then u get go there n read the addmission requirements for foreign student, for HS graduates i think u just have to go to pak, give an equivlant FSC exam if u pass it, they will charge u in rupees otherwise dollars mein fees dayni hogi, n then u can always try to get into some unregcognized school like in multan n stufff, n then after a couple of months u can transfer into the big popular medschools, like jinnah, quaid-e-azam n many others.......... hope this helped!

------------------
          I do not love you because I need you; I need you because I love you.

Comment

Hi.... as the private medical colleges have started, it's not difficult to get admission in medical if you have money. But take care of one thing ,,,,,, that the college you get admission in should be listed in the world Directory of Medical Colleges ...coz after graduation you can appear in the foreign exams only on this conditions....Waisay AKU ka to koi muqabla nahi... otherwise all the Punjab University Colleges are fine...and there is an entry admission test ..... i hope u know bout it..... if you have any othery qs let me knowhttp://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/smile.gif best of luck.....
            Waisay meri kind suggestion yeh hai k just forget bout this field and try to do some other..... believe me u'll always be happyhttp://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/smile.gif
            anyways, it's upto u.... take care

Comment

Deewana....most of the info provided by Nurmah is alright.I wud like to add something to it.
              First of all to get admission into a med.school you should have completed your high school with subjects like biology,chemistry and physics.There are certain marks criteria but now most of the colleges are taking aptitude tests and for that you have to have knowledge of high school level.
              in Karachi,the best med school in pvt sector is AKU and govt,DMC.There are many private medical schools in town but better not go for them as most of them are not registered with PMDC (Pakistan medical and dental council) which means they wont certify you to work as a physician in Pakistan.right now,only DMC,SMC,AKU And baqai medical colleges are registered with PMDC , not even hamdard university.
              So i would advice you to join Authentic and recognized med. schools and better not waste your money and time while running for pvt med. schools!!
              best of luck towards ur career.http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/smile.gif

Comment

Originally posted by *kashish*:
                Deewana....most of the info provided by Nurmah is alright.I wud like to add something to it.
                First of all to get admission into a med.school you should have completed your high school with subjects like biology,chemistry and physics.There are certain marks criteria but now most of the colleges are taking aptitude tests and for that you have to have knowledge of high school level.
                in Karachi,the best med school in pvt sector is AKU and govt,DMC.There are many private medical schools in town but better not go for them as most of them are not registered with PMDC (Pakistan medical and dental council) which means they wont certify you to work as a physician in Pakistan.right now,only DMC,SMC,AKU And baqai medical colleges are registered with PMDC , not even hamdard university.
                So i would advice you to join Authentic and recognized med. schools and better not waste your money and time while running for pvt med. schools!!
                best of luck towards ur career.http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/smile.gif
                I amnot sure if Physics is also required in getting admission in State owned Medical Colleges/Universities of Pakistan!
                I agree with the rest of the advice except that lot more Colleges are enrolled with PMDC than just those you have written inyour post.

Comment

Adding a bit more (even tho it may be too late now) http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/smile.gif

You need to contact the Pakistani Embassy in your area if you want to apply to Gov't colleges like DMC, SMC.

They'll have you fill out some forms they'll endorse it as an official document.

Afterwards, they fwd your application on to the Economic Affairs in Islamabad where your equivlance certificate is made. This is basically a conversion of your marks. I think they have this 10% deduction rule for foreigners, I'm not sure though. My overall percentage was reduced by 10% automatically and another 2 or 3 was taken off later on. Yes, the courses you take affect they way they convert your marks. I had all my sciences and maths but I don't think they even considered my math marks for once. Chemistry (OAC-if canada or AP grade 12 if states) should be taken because a lot of the organic part of it is necessary in the first year.

If your percentage, converted is higher than their borderline (I think it's 75%) then you are put on PTAP (Pakistan Technical Assistance Program) where you pay the same as a Pakistani student on merit. (CHEAP!)

If it's lower, than you are put on a self-finance seat where you pay 3-4 lakhs.

For the private institutions, I am only familiar with Agha Khan as I applied there. You need to give your SAT's (I and II) with 1250 minimum on your SAT I. SAT II score is 750, I believe with the subjects being Physics, Bio/Chem and an optional choice.

If you don't score well on the SATs, you are eligible to give their own admission test in Karachi ( I think the only advantage is that it is a bit easier on the English part).

I hope this helped - if you are still looking into med schools in khi. If you have any more questions, contact me.

------------------
                  There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Comment

Working...
                  X