Confused!!!!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Confused!!!!!!!!!!

i am doing bsc (hons) in Computing from APIIT www.apiit.edu.my its a MaIaysian Franchise and has a branch in Iahore its a nice PIace to study in...but here in Iahore there are few jobs avaiIiabIe for IT and if there are FAST ,IuMS or NUST peopIe get it UsuaIIy,

when i thinK of my Future i get scared becuase i know that after compIeting my graduation i wiII get a Job of Max 10,000 Rupees through Jacks and AII stufff...and to grow in Pakistan is a tough job...right now i am 19 years oId what i am pIanning is that ... tiII i get at the age of 30 i shouId be earing
    and respectabe amount of money having a nice smaII house a nice car and stuff......but to me i think this can be onIy done if i am Iiving abroad ,
    not here in Pakistan, my father was in Pakistan Airforce. so peopIe from forces dont have that kind of money, and i know that education is onIy
    what i have thats it ... there is nobody who is going to support me in a bussiness or after graduation my father wiII open me a nice SOFtware house
    and BLa BLa BLa .....

what i think that i shd go aborad now ..Iive there and compIete my graduation from there....to a job on my Degree earn there for 10 years
    and then come back to pakistan .. and then marry here when you are have enough amount of money to support yourseIF and your Wife and Kids...
    or come back marry and then again move out.. to Abroad....

what PIan i have is to come back after 10 years and have a respectabe job here ....

What do u think ??????

AM i going on a Right Track ? give me some of your views? is it right to go aborad.. ? get education there?
    workk there?

at this age? beucase what i feeI that if i stay in Pakistan ... it wiII take me atIeast 10 to 15 years to rise up to a Respectabe job ..Iike from 10,000 Rupe
    es to 25,000 thats it! PIUs abroad there are more Opportunities than in Pakistan
    share your view with me....
    basicIIy i need heIp.. in this regard i am IittIe confused...http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/confused.gif

------------------
    Yeh Dosti hum nahi Toray Gay, toray gay daam magar tera saath na choray gay!
    JAAN par bhi Khalein gay , teray liye lein lein gay, saab say dushmani !
    Yeh dosti .....

[This message has been edited by icesaadi (edited July 19, 2002).]

[This message has been edited by icesaadi (edited July 19, 2002).]

I would suggest this, if your institute is accredited, complete your Bsc there. Check if Bsc there will allow you to get in a masters program abroad. otherwise do the Msc there and then apply to US/UK/canadian universities for a masters, as well as a reserach assistantship which will take care of your expenses.

Once that is done you can start work abroad, and then return to Pakistan.

As far as jobs in general go, you can start at a lower salary but make sure your work performance is excellent. Thats what matters in the end, what can you do, how much do you know, how well do you work with the team, do your bosses respect and trust you. In some cases it may even require you to stay at a place 2 years and then jump to another opportunity with a higher pay etc.

Other things you can start doing right nwo are to start taking part in industry symposiums, network, find people in the industry who can serve as mentors to you and guide you, maybe introduce you to others. Do not approach it as you just want to meet someone who will help you in getting a job but someone who will give you advise and guide you etc.

I have seen people from even mediocre schools do very well due to their personal effort and knowledge, and people from good programs do just ok.

The reason people from better institutes do better in general is due to 4 reasons

1) The schools are competitive and pick the best candidates.

your strategy: maybe you did not go to the top school, but if you think you are as bright as those people, you should have that sort of effort to match it.

2) The schools alumni network very well with one another

your strategy: start networking on your own. You would be surprised to find that especially in Pakistan, how happy some professionals are when students ask them for advise and mentoring. you can build your own network and meet people on your own.

3) Cutting edge curriculum

your strategy: keep on top of industry needs and make sure your skills align with the current and predicted needs

4) The school has a good rep and industry looks to these schools to get candidates

your strategy: if people in the industry know you due to networking then even if your institute is not as well known, now they know you.

This is just to get your foot in the door at the right opportunity and compensation level. After that its just the work and interpersonal relations which will determine how quick you will rise and how quick your salary will.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Comment

I believe there is not much difference in doing your bachelors from a mediocre school or a top school as TA’s mostly teach the classes there. The professors are much more focused on their research and the higher-level students. On the flip side actual professors holding doctrol degrees in their respective fields teach classes in other “not so top” universities.
      Also layoffs do not make a distinction between Harvard and non-Harvard graduates. And in the long run work experience counts a lot more than an Ivy League degree. But without a doubt the top universities have a snob appeal attached to them and give you a much better chance to network with future “leaders”.

Comment

THankx peopIe for repIying what i wanted to know was that shouId i go abroad or shouId i stay in Pakistan for studies .. i think PIease read my post .....again carefuIIy
        and give your VIews

------------------
        Yeh dosti .....

Comment

Originally posted by icesaadi:
          THankx peopIe for repIying what i wanted to know was that shouId i go abroad or shouId i stay in Pakistan for studies .. i think PIease read my post .....again carefuIIy and give your VIews
          Can you afford to study abroad? If the answer is yes, then GO by all means.

Comment

ya man i can!

------------------
            Yeh dosti .....

Comment

im sorry to stray from the topic but actually i was replying mr. fraudia http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/smile.gif
              If you can afford to go abroad then there is little reason not to. Also you can transfer to GIK/LUMS, graduate from there and then go abroad for work/higher studies.

Comment

well let me clear one thing , this isnt true that after graduation you ll get only 10,000.
                It all depnds on ur work and commitments.
                One of my friend after BSC double Math Physics,got an internship in an ISP.and then job with starting pay of 2500 rs.After one year two months when he left he was getting 22,000 +his mobile phones bills residence etc etc.
                He is the man who setup ur Dell server for Linux network , when Majid was Lab incharge of ur college, if ur college is next to paktel building.

Many more examples , in my personal view you can start from 5 to 6000 and in two year can easily touch 25,000 when working as a Programer.and next two years totally ll decide ur feild in pak markeet.
                normally IT profesional's salaries are starting from 35,000/40,000 with phone and other facilities and goes to 90,000/150,000 in ten years.BUt all depends upon ur will.

Only one aspect which enforce me to go abroad is good education , pak still dont have good IT education which make us limited when developing,so when you have work expereince and enough amount you can go abroad for stduing and then either work there or back to home ur choice.

------------------
                Junnon se Aur Ishq se Millti hay Azadai-- Kurbani ki bahoon mein Millti hay ...

Comment

Originally posted by icesaadi:
                  THankx peopIe for repIying what i wanted to know was that shouId i go abroad or shouId i stay in Pakistan for studies .. i think PIease read my post .....again carefuIIy
                  and give your VIews

I was giving you a more comprehensive answer since you are not just concerned with education but the salary as well.

Going abroad will not guarantee a high pay in itself. Maybe higher than Pakistan but there can be a huge gap in earnings of ppl with the same degree even working at the same company.

But I guess you just wanted to know if you shoudl go abroad.

if that is the only thing that you want to know the answer is " if you can afford it, go"

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Comment

He is the man who setup ur Dell server for Linux network , when Majid was Lab incharge of ur college, if ur college is next to paktel building.

hey do u know Majid?

------------------
                    Yeh dosti .....

Comment

Working...
                    X