Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Job market for new gradutes, how is it?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Job market for new gradutes, how is it?

    Just interested in learning from new graduates how they perceive the current market to be.

    How have people found positions in a down economy, what did they do which set them aprt from others and landed them the job.

    I think all of our new and soon to be graduates can learn from others' experiences and advise.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

    #2
    Well though i have yet to graduate but some of my friends who graduated in spring are finding it hard to get a job.

    Some of them have had a chance to work with ibm and rockwell collins as a co-op for three terms on an average but still no luck.



    ------------------
    I dunno where I'm going. I dunno what for. But I'm making progress.
    I don't know where I am going. I don't know what for but I am making progress.

    Comment


      #3
      I have heard the same, the market is getting tough and to find a job right after finishing studies is getting harder and harder for graduates.

      Comment


        #4
        [i hate to say this but..]
        not to mention that being an international student and on top of that from pak can also reduce the chances of getting a job..but u can't do anything about that

        ------------------
        I dunno where I'm going. I dunno what for. But I'm making progress.
        I don't know where I am going. I don't know what for but I am making progress.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by SaadiaB:
          I have heard the same, the market is getting tough and to find a job right after finishing studies is getting harder and harder for graduates.
          i didn't know same was the situation in europe..i thought conditions were better over there

          ------------------
          I dunno where I'm going. I dunno what for. But I'm making progress.
          I don't know where I am going. I don't know what for but I am making progress.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by heart beat:
            i didn't know same was the situation in europe..i thought conditions were better over there


            Oh they are better in some fields but others are not so good, I was thinking of IT field, the big boom is even over here in europe.

            Comment


              #7
              heartbeat

              what is your major? and when are you graduating? have you looked into getting internships or pro bono work even. Maybe it would be a good idea to talk to your profs to see if they can use their contacts to land you some internships.

              You may also want to talk to Gupsters here, there may be those who are in your field.

              I know of a number of people who have had a hard time finding a job. One guy on an H1 had to go back to Pakistan, there are other fresh graduates who have lowered their expectations on compensation and type of company etc based on the job market.

              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Fraudz:
                heartbeat

                what is your major? and when are you graduating? have you looked into getting internships or pro bono work even. Maybe it would be a good idea to talk to your profs to see if they can use their contacts to land you some internships.

                You may also want to talk to Gupsters here, there may be those who are in your field.

                I know of a number of people who have had a hard time finding a job. One guy on an H1 had to go back to Pakistan, there are other fresh graduates who have lowered their expectations on compensation and type of company etc based on the job market.

                electrical/computer engineering..i will be graduating soon..[i will try to delay it till job market gets better http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/biggrin.gif j/k]
                yup..i have had a couple of experiences..


                ------------------
                I dunno where I'm going. I dunno what for. But I'm making progress.
                I don't know where I am going. I don't know what for but I am making progress.

                Comment


                  #9
                  b/w those who are normally unable to get jobs after graduating, normally go ahead for the grad school..which should always be kept as a backup option

                  not to mention that not only international students are facing such problems but americans tooo[which i think is pretty obvious]

                  it becomes harder for international students cause' most of the companies have a *problem* in hiring intl students..

                  ------------------
                  I dunno where I'm going. I dunno what for. But I'm making progress.
                  I don't know where I am going. I don't know what for but I am making progress.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    yes the problem in general is, how can they satisfy the dept of labor that the talent that they are looking for is not available otherwise.

                    From what I hear, after the head cuts began at motorola last year. they were told by Dept of Labor that they really should not be sponsoring people, because if your basic premise is that we cant find good ppl thats why we have to sponsor, and then you are laying off tens of thousands of people, how does that play out.

                    the option for grad school should always be open in these cases, but make sure that the grad school is a good school, preferably has profs with good industry contacts and pref in an area where you can network in the industry while in school.
                    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      u are right about that..

                      besides i strongly think that in times like this; an enrolled student has more chances of getting an internship

                      i hope u get my point?

                      ------------------
                      I dunno where I'm going. I dunno what for. But I'm making progress.
                      I don't know where I am going. I don't know what for but I am making progress.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        what about u? i can figure that u are not a student. working?


                        ------------------
                        I dunno where I'm going. I dunno what for. But I'm making progress.
                        I don't know where I am going. I don't know what for but I am making progress.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          heartbeat I do understand your perspective.

                          I am one of the old ones here http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/smile.gif finished my MBA in 97 and have been working since then, actually worked during the MBA too.

                          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by heart beat:
                            b/w those who are normally unable to get jobs after graduating, normally go ahead for the grad school..which should always be kept as a backup option
                            But dont the good B-Schools require work experience of between 3-5 years?
                            One other way to give yourself more time to find a job could be to delay your graduation by doing some minor or taking some extra electives.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by seeker:
                              But dont the good B-Schools require work experience of between 3-5 years?
                              i was mainly referring to the engineering colleges..but as far as the b-schools are concerned it depends on the uni u want to go in...

                              business schools in top 5/10 not only would ask for some experience but for a good score too in that hmm i think its GMAT(for business)

                              most b-schools might accept u depending on ur prev. academic record, research, references, gmat
                              Originally posted by seeker:
                              One other way to give yourself more time to find a job could be to delay your graduation by doing some minor or taking some extra electives.
                              but for how long? which in turn might give a neg. impact on ur resume(if u know what i mean)

                              i have heard that hopefully the situation might get better in a yr or so..



                              ------------------
                              I dunno where I'm going. I dunno what for. But I'm making progress.
                              I don't know where I am going. I don't know what for but I am making progress.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X