Dealing with corporate cynicism at the workplace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dealing with corporate cynicism at the workplace

I’m managing a corporate project that involves consolidating a number of business work-streams, and recently, I’ve been faced with each workstream’s management disparaging the work of the other… its like throwing a wrench at the other business and it slows down things quite considerably.

I first had a hard-time creating the initial buy-in for the project by explaining the positive impact on the process workflows for all the involved businesses, and everyone was ecstatic about it… as time goes by, they’re coming back with issues that were already discussed at project initiation and it frustrates me to have to arrange and attend meetings with them instead of getting on with “actual work”…

Any suggestions from Project Management gurus and Change Management maharishis will be appreciated.
    For reason, ruling alone, is a force confining - and passion, unattended, is a flame that burns to its own destruction - Khalil Gibran

is there a corporate sponsor of the project?
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Comment

Post like these make me wish I had completed my MBA education.

Can you translate that now. http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/biggrin.gif

Comment

Fraudia... I'm working with corporate HR and driving their e-Business initiatives. The workstreams I referred to include Payroll, Benefits, Employee Services to name a few.

Saadia, hope that made a lil more sense for you now as well... sowiee if it was a bit vague.

For reason, ruling alone, is a force confining - and passion, unattended, is a flame that burns to its own destruction - Khalil Gibran

Comment

Umar who is the main buyer for your services, who controls the purse strings for this project.

was an issue definition and resolution process set from the get go and agreed upon by the buyer and yourself? is there an escalation process.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Comment

Is there support for it at the top?

Comment

Fraudia & hmcq,

Issues and concerns were addressed at project inititation… constraints and dependencies were clearly outlined in the project charter.

I’m officially leading the project on behalf of my department and am responsible for all decisions driving it forward… hence ultimately all new concerns (genuinely new or seemingly new concerns) get addressed to me and I route them to the appropriate workstream, consult with them and provide feedback.

The reason I’m somewhat perplexed, is that its my first time dealing with internal officialdom within an organization… my prior project management experience has purely been as an external contractor and in that role, I usually deal with a single point of contact within the organization for the overall direction but I’m sure that person himself/herself had to go through what I’m going through right now.

Comment

hmcq,
                yes, the project has support from the top... infact the VP is a direct advisor on the project itself. However, in all meetings thusfar between the VP, myself and the business leaders of the workstreams - everything comes to an acquiescent and consenting conclusion - its only later that I am faced with any individual altercations.

Comment

Umar,

I am currently a lead on a similar project, for the finance organization at my company. We are currently engaged in change management activities with our customers. Key learnings I can highlight are:

1. Gain support from upper management
                  2. Get upper management to reiterate support often, and driver expectations down through their organizations
                  3. Create change networks within customer organizations and have them own the implimentation, and change management aspects for their orgs
                  4. Provide incentives for successful implimentation
                  5. Escalate issues as soon as they emerge

Hope this helps

Comment

Working...
                  X