Working Abroad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working Abroad

What are the risks and advantages of working abroad? - Would you do it?

Anyone has experience of working / starting off in a new country?

Well, I have done it ... or I should say I am still doing it.

I moved to Netherlands from England nearly three years ago & still struggling to settle down.

Advantages are that being non-dutch & being invited by my employer to work in Netherlands I have TAX relief of 30% - it means I pay 30% less TAX than people who either apply for job themselves in Netherlands & also 30% less than local Dutch people (They usually fume about this). Also the life style & living here in Netherlands is way better than UK.

Dis-advantages are that I miss my family & friends .... I miss living in London. I miss such a petty things with I took for granted & feel them now. Dutch people are the most un-generous people after Germans. Rarely say thank you to you - will never say Excuse me .. just push u one one side & pass over etc etc. Driving is appalling as well as compared to UK etc etc.

But I must admit that it was exciting in the beginging but now I think of moving back to London but then cancel the idea of moving back.

Each & every place has its own advantages & dis-advantages ... so I have to compromise somewhere.

So if u are thinking of moving then move temporarily & check if u like to live & work in the new environment. If feel that u can then u can move & live there. Remember you have to loose someting to get something.

Comment

Thanx Najim for sharing your experience.

Well yesterday I had an appointment in a Telecommunication & Banking company in another country, infact I returned home today early in the morning. The conversation that I had was a good one, the job position consists of almost the same what I am doing over here, plus more responsiblity and much more hard work at the beginning & in return many advantages of a big company.

The fact that I will have to live alone, is causing me trouble, as I am used to having my family around me. but I guess you are right about to gain something, I have to be able to loose something, so I will have live with the situaion if I say yes that I get to see my family only once or twice a month.

The thing isn't fix yet as I asked time to reflect over my decision as well the company will. So who know I might as well not take the offer, but anyway it was a good experience to spend two days exploring two wonderful cities all on my own.

Comment

I'd do it in a heart beat. Few things can be as exciting as the rush of finding oneself in a new environment.

Comment

Or maybe you would miss your home place after some time. http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/smile.gif

Comment

Honestly speaking, the 6 months I lived and worked in Pakistan last year was the best time of my life. I had so much fun, got to know many nice people, went on many exciting trips all over the country...

...BUT...

I also missed my parents, my friends, the part-time boredome in Vienna (I was never bored in Lahore), etc.

If I was in the same situation again, I would definitely go for it again. In fact if I ever get the chance to work abroad for a limited period again, let's say in US/Canada, any European or even Asian country, I might actually consider it. But moving anywhere else for good, would be just a too big step for me. I don't think I could handle that so easily.

------------------
            Umer, the Pakistani Brain of Austria

[This message has been edited by Umer (edited July 03, 2002).]
            The Pakistani Brain of the Austria (formerly known as "The Pakistani Brain of UAE")

Comment

Umer, thanks for sharing, I know you told me how much fun you had in Pakistan during your teaching days there, as you know well that I wanted to work in Pakistan last year for a while too, but unfortunately it did not work out, the reason I never found out, the people there did not bother to send any kind of a reply to me.

Well actually IF I take this job offer(which has to be fully confirmed yet, as there are some details open) I will have to leave my present company and start new over again. This does not mean I am leaving this country for good, as I think it will be good to get some experience in an another european country and maybe come back after 1-2 years. Again this place is not far away from my home town, so I hope to spend my 2 weekends in a month at home, insahallah.

Anyway more later, as I still have not given my answer yet.

Comment

I wouldn't advise you to go to a foreign country and work if you haven't experienced living alone before.
                It is not only the job that consumes your energy but also other responsibilites of taking care of your expenses and adjusting to the new environment etc. For some people it becomes kind of over whelming and you sound like a pampered girl to me :-p I'd say move only if your are not satisified with your present job or you don't see chances of progress.
                Or better yet find yourself a dullah with deep pockets.

Comment

<<<I wouldn't advise you to go to a foreign country and work if you haven't experienced living alone before. >>>

BoSS,

How will I learn to cope with living alone, if I don't go and try it out, there is allways a first time in everything. I know I will miss somethings but then I will gain other things, so a compromise somewhere is the best thing, anyway I will try to make the best out it, hope to learn to adjust myself in many new situations, that may come.

<<<it is not only the job that consumes your energy but also other responsibilites of taking care of your expenses and adjusting to the new environment etc.>>>

I agree, but I have been partly taking care of my expenses from the age of 18 onwards, so this is not fully new for me, I think this should be most least problem that I will face in a new environment.

<<<For some people it becomes kind of over whelming and you sound like a pampered girl to me :-p>>>

Should I take this as a compliment. http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/wink.gif

<<<I'd say move only if your are not satisified with your present job or you don't see chances of progress.>>>

Actually! I am satisfied with my present work but see very minor chances of a progress in my current situation, and I don't A$$ kiss my superiors.

<<<Or better yet find yourself a dullah with deep pockets.>>>

Believe me finding a new job is way easier as finding a suitable dullah, but here I am open for any kinds of proposals.

[This message has been edited by SaadiaB (edited July 05, 2002).]

Comment

With reference to experience, I don't see myself as someone who has done it... although I've worked on transborder contracts in Canada and the U.S. and even though the two countries have major parallels in society and customs, there are evidently conspicuous differences in the
                    way of life.

Having lived in Toronto, I couldn't see myself settling the States for good although the thought has crossed my mind several times. I still contract my services across the border but that's just a way of making quick bucks and that's all there is to it.

Having this experience with two such similar countries, I often think if I would be able to make it somewhere else. The Middle East being my childhood homeland often seems very magnetizing and inviting, but then I have to rethink it just cuz of what I've now habituated with...

NEWays, that's just a propos' my personal experience... may not apply to everyone out there, and yes, I do think I'm gonna give it a shot anyways... I may be pleasantly surprised - who knows http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/smile.gif

Ciao.
                    For reason, ruling alone, is a force confining - and passion, unattended, is a flame that burns to its own destruction - Khalil Gibran

Comment

lol, I have just re-read what I wrote previously, stupid me, don't get me wrong, I did not say I am open for proposals in GS but in real life... hehe sorry!

btw, I might be posting my pics from the trip as they turned out be stunning beautiful, so watch out for them, till I get em scanned.

Comment

lol, I have just re-read what I wrote previously, stupid me, don't get me wrong, I did not say I am open for proposals in GS but in real life... hehe sorry!

Why aren't u open for proposals in GS....are the guys here any less than real? I agree that half of them are gadhas and khothas but still it doesn't make them unreal eh..

btw, I might be posting my pics from the trip as they turned out be stunning beautiful, so watch out for them, till I get em scanned.
                        You bet! stunningly beautiful person inside those pictures and ofcourse Switzerland is breath taking...

Well, as for your job...go ahead! take on the challenge. You didn't get discourage by my post and thaz what it takes to keep the motivation going. I wish you best of luck in you future endeavors

[This message has been edited by BoSS (edited July 06, 2002).]

Comment

Why aren't u open for proposals in GS....are the guys here any less than real? I agree that half of them are gadhas and khothas but still it doesn't make them unreal eh..
                          lol, that was funny BoSS, why am I not open for proposals in GS? hmm because I would rather be realistic, as to live in a fantasy world and I don't want to marry someone just by knowing him on the net, not really, I hope you understand my way of thinking.

You bet! stunningly beautiful person inside those pictures and ofcourse Switzerland is breath taking...

I am so speechless, thank you so much. Have you ever been in Switzerland BoSS ?

Well, as for your job...go ahead! take on the challenge. You didn't get discourage by my post and thaz what it takes to keep the motivation going. I wish you best of luck in you future endeavors

Thanks for the well wishes and the encouraging words, I am sure by God, that whatever decision I'll make, it will be the right one, Insahallah. And I give my best prayers for your future also.

Comment

Working...
                          X