DOPP - Database of Overseas Pakistani Professionals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DOPP - Database of Overseas Pakistani Professionals

Some time back I had the honour to meet the Pakistani Development Minister Umer Asghar Khan while he was in Denmark. We discussed different aspects of how the Pakistani community abroad could increase the speed of development in Pakistan. Different well-known tools were mentioned, such as FDI (Foreign Direct Investment), establishment of subsidiaries, teaching in Pakistani educational institutions, and so on.

One of the new point raised by the Pakistani Ambassador present at the meeting was the lack of contacts to the younger generations of Pakistanis abroad, in particular Pakistanis born abroad. His idea, which I´m going to share with the rest of Pak.Org, was to create a database of Overseas Pakistani degree holders. The Ambassador mentioned that the Pakistani government as well as Pakistani companies lacked contacts and the network with the Pakistanis working in same sectors and industries abroad. My idea was to create a virtual site, where people in Pakistan as well as us living overseas could put data about ourselves, in a way that the data could be updated and maintained by all of us.

This could be some sort of an Overseas Pakistani Alumni Club. What do you guys think about that?.. Fraudia bhai the ball is now on your side http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Ramis (edited October 18, 2000).]
    hmm..

I think it is a quiet goo idea Ramis, unfortunately nobody thinks on those lines. Pakistani govt's are seemed to be never bothered.

Comment

Ramis

I am in full support of this idea, a database not only of professionals but something searchable by experience, industry etc etc.

As great of an idea it is, a database is only as good as the data in it. what ensures the integrity of that database? what if people start clowning around and enter useless crap in it. if I am a professional or a company trying to look for a professional in a certain type of industry, after how many tries would I give up on the database after it gives me useless results? i email someone and either the whole posting was a hoax or the contact info is not updated.

Additionally, privacy would be another factor.

These are some concerns that there has to be some way to control. the idea is great and I will be willing to help in such initiative.

There also is talk in another thread of creating a pakistani business professionals associations, we have them for engineers and doctors, its time we have them for the business folks as well.

So here are my thoughts. This type of initiative takes a lot of effort and time, currently I am over committed as it is, but InshaAllah I would like to devote more energy to some initiative as such. Who can get the ball rolling now though?
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Comment

I am totally with the idea … I am happy that government is not involved in it .. yep you heard me or read me correctly .. these kind of initiative should be taken on NGO level (non-governmental ) .. Integrity of the data is a legitimate issue .. but that all depends how you collect and how often you update the data .. I am willing to put my knowledge behind the idea .. I work as a marketing analyst .. and part of my job is to analyze customer data from databases .. analyzing their accuracy and performance .. for b2b and lva world …and I bet we will find lot desi-database experts .. in terms of programming and marketing .. and I can personally pull some contacts for website and programming and management .. but I have to get lot of positive responses and help .. not just help solid commitment since this will be a non-profit organization .. we need lot of volunteer work .. thought???
        Email me … I am in Chicago
        [email protected]

------------------
        Hey one more thing
        These things are hard to explain
        For some it seems strange... to swallow
        The frontier of our minds
        Is the last place we find
        But maybe the first place we should go

Comment

Irfan whoa a chi-town neighbour http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/smile.gif
          You familiar with the Pakistan American Chamber of Commerce here? a great place to find people who have connections because if this thing is pursued, its a huge undertaking and more resources you have the better.

Another idea would be to bounce this off of Safi Qureshy and see how he can help or find others that are like minded.

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Comment

This is indeed a great service if it can come together. Rooster, I am not very far from where you are and a couple of other folks here on this forum. I will be more than happy to come on board for this project.

Comment

Cool more windy land people ! Yes I have heard of Pak Chamber of Comm. , do you have any idea how can I contact them (email, website or mailing address? ) .. I am going to write a marketing plan to initiate the process and I would love to see people brain-storm ideas .. the more the better, I have thought of this idea before but never passed the ‘Khiali Pulao’ stage .. but this time I am serious that’s why I am formulating the process, and I would definitely would need lot of help and feedback to put this project to use … email me how, when and who can participate.. the more the better !

------------------
              Hey one more thing
              These things are hard to explain
              For some it seems strange... to swallow
              The frontier of our minds
              Is the last place we find
              But maybe the first place we should go

Comment

Rooster Blues, I am involved with the Pak-Am chamber of commerce so I can be yer contact. Why dont you come to one of the meetings sometime? The best one to attend will be in two weeks.

This is a great opportunity, and we can get tons of publicity via the journalist contacts here.

My parents are in town so busy with that until sunday, lets plan to meet up sometime next week.

Comment

they dont have a website yet, the group was just jump started by Salik bhai who is one energetic guy. They are committed to setting up a website and have events list, contact info etc etc on it.

They are planning to do so much i.e. assistance for students, assitance for new immigrants, assistance for people who want to start businesses etc etc. The group is very non-political in its nature i.e. not divided along party lines or sect etc as some groups suffer from, and they are looking for committed young people to come on board to bring new ideas, energy and impact to the group. (somehow they thought I would be good heheh) but this looks like something of your interest.

will discuss more in person.

Comment

I think "DOPP"....is NOT the best name for it

------------------
                    ME ME ME!!!

[This message has been edited by who---me (edited July 03, 2002).]

Comment

Hi
                      It is brillaint idea to organise a database of preffessionals aboard.
                      One of the things Pakistan is suffering from is skills deficiency. It seems like all talented people are moving out of the country.
                      I would be happy to do my bit if any, all the best.

Comment

Zafar, Ghalib, Rooster, Who-Me and Max thanks for the support guys. I´m looking forward to hearing some more ideas. Meanwhile I´ll be working on a beta version of a web interface. I would love to hear more about Fraudia´s and R-B's feed-back on their meeting with the Chamber of Commerce as well as the other VIPs in Chicago.

[This message has been edited by Ramis (edited October 20, 2000).]
                        hmm..

Comment

That's a great idea! http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/supercool.gif

Would be great if that could be done. Due to lack of time besides work and studies, I can't contribute to this very much. But if you need help, contact me and I'll try my best.

------------------
                          Umer, the Pakistani Brain of Austria

[This message has been edited by Umer (edited October 20, 2000).]
                          The Pakistani Brain of the Austria (formerly known as "The Pakistani Brain of UAE")

Comment

very good idea and you all have my support, I am also willing to spare some time for it (working as volunteer).

I also suggest that we pass this information to over other pakistani friends/collegues who are unaware of such a developments.

Also how we will contact each other, may be park.org ???

Comment

Ramis,

A great idea, I have been discussing the same idea locally which will includes all professional muslims. Privacy is a problem but I guess we should be able to come around that problem.

Also, why only be a maindak in a well. Why not think big and include all professional muslims on the list. Think about it yaar.

Comment

Working...
                              X