Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grad School

Hey,
    I need some info about attending good business grad school(Kellogs,Tuck etc) in the states.To be precise how much work experience is desirable and what are the chances of getting a fellowship etc.

Scholarship depends on the school you are applying to. For MBA programs it is generally very difficult cause the school tends to make a lot of money of its candidates and excepts the candidates to take out loans that they will pay off later on in the future when they are making thier millions (hopefully). If you are limiting your search to the very top schools then you would have to be extremely competitive both in terms of your previous studies, your essays, your gmats and your future career plans to even be considered for fellowships. Have you already taken the GMAT or are you planning on?

Work experience for most schools tends to be in the neighbourhood of 3-5 yrs, depending on how well you have done. Some people get in with a 2 yrs while others have over 10 yrs. But as a general rule of tumb if you have 5 yrs of experience you are pretty well set. Also it depends on the field you are pursuing cause in the consulting circles its almost expected that you get an MBA after working for 3-4 yrs while in the industry people go for MBAs much later in life due to the slower career path growth.

if you really need the fellowship then I would suggest that in addition to focusing on the top 10 list, also focus on the top 50 MBA schools. There is not great deal of difference between the 20th and the 35th school but you are more likely to get a fellowship from the 35th ranked school. What would define your career path and pay later on in life will not neccessarily be your school but rather what you do with it and pure luck.

Hope that helps. If you give some more details about yourself,eg work type, experience, undergrad, GMATs etc then I may be more specific with what I say.

Comment

seeker u are looking for a regular MBA or an executive MBA. Kellogg's executive program requires 10 years of experience, but with strong recommendations from sponsoring company they will accept 8 years of experience.

fulltime 4 quarter MBA usually looks for about 4-5 years of experience, the 6 quarter MBA a little less than that.

Goodluck. Hope you give Kellogg serious consideration.
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Comment

Mr. F,

what's the difference between an Executive MBA and a plain vanilla MBA in practical life terms?

Plus, how many years of undergrad as in marks do most business schools in the States look at? And how heavily do they weigh the GPA? Does the undergrad school that you went to make a difference?

Comment

executive MBA is usually for people who have been in the industry, meets over weekends and you have to be sponsored by your employer for the program.

regular MBA is your 1-2 year MBA, depending on which uni you are going to, whether u had an undergrad in business, and if so whether yer undergrad school was AACSB accredited etc.

the first hurdle for MBA programs is a mix of your undergrad GPA and the GMAt score. The way its works is that they multiply your GPA by 200 and then add the GMAt score.

for example if you have a 3.0 GPA, and a 660 in GMAT. your total score is 600 (3.0X200) + 66= = 1260. Some universities set the initial hurdle at 1100 some at 1150. once that bar is cleared, which school u went to is a factor. as well as work experience, strngth of references and recommendation letters, other leadership and activities etc.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Comment

Never heard of that Fraudia...My experience has been that essays tend to count for a lot and your references especially since that shows how you have been doing in your past.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies.I would imagine that company sponsorship for MBA's would be pretty low these days but I hope it would pick up in the next few years.

Comment

hmcq if you dont meet the minimum gpa and gmat requirements, they usually will not get around to reading the essays.

essays are important, but you only get there after you pass the fist hurdle.

Comment

Agreed Fraudia. What I meant was I have never heard of that formula been applied for MBAs.

Comment

when i had started my MBA it was widely used as the first hurdle. many universities still use it. many use it but dont necessarily say that on their admissions requirements, however when you see the GMAT range of the most recent class and GPA averages of most recent class that gives the same basic idea.

Comment

Originally posted by seeker:
                      Thanks for all the replies.I would imagine that company sponsorship for MBA's would be pretty low these days but I hope it would pick up in the next few years.
                      Yes, unfortunately sponsoship is on a low ebb. I was lucky to have 65% coverage, while some of my senior colleagues had gotten the full ride.

I would suggest a route of restraing your spending while your working before you apply to Business Schools.

------------------
                      The eyelids of a Rajputs eyes are lowered only in death.

Comment

Working...
                      X