Lay Offs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lay Offs

Our company was bought out one month ago by another.

The new firm brought in a hired gun to analyze what's going on and what should be going on.

Rumour has hit the street today that tomorrow morning the company will lay off 20-25 people. For a firm that only has 100 workers total..that's a sizeable chunk.

Can you imagine the mood?

Our company did even worse that that.

They told us Friday afternoon @ 3 that they will be laying off nearly 40% of the department. The worst weekend of all times ...

You may wanna read this thread by Fraudia
    I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    - Robert McCloskey

Comment

Oh and best of luck! Everything happens for a reason and I hope it turns out for the best of you!
      I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
      - Robert McCloskey

Comment

Muzna, I hope you're not among the 25! All the best. http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/ok.gif

------------------
        Umer, the Pakistani Brain of Austria
        The Pakistani Brain of the Austria (formerly known as "The Pakistani Brain of UAE")

Comment

Lay offs are sometimes a blessing in disguise...but yeah it could be a very humbling experience.
          Don't forget to keep looking for better opportunities and keep networking.

btw I thought u were in London?

Comment

So who can better smell it then me .just three month ago i was in same situation ,Our Company one person build and that was my first job ,i spent 24 hours there and our team took the company at top ,When he sell it ,new admin created same problems,they fire some person of my department ,and they was just not a justice ,So i left the place in reaction ,and Thanks to God the very next day i got a very good job.

So the companies do and people suffer it but i think for ladies its more usual to get in pain then boys.Please update ,what ur firm did and i know you are not one of them who are going to be past.

------------------
            Sardar Ahmiq Singh
            Hujra Number 4 Nankana saab

Comment

The big day arrives.

I've never seen so many people keep such a low profile!

Thanks for the encouraging words folks, but as BoSS said, this may be a blessing in disguise if I am in the count.

Agreed....one should always be networking. No matter how secure they are in their position and no matter how confident they feel.

BoSS....I was supposed to spend four days in London but the meeting was rescheduled to late June.

sailor...I don't understand what you mean about the process being more painful for women. Please do explain.

Comment

Kiya Huwa? kisko huwa?

Comment

Respect the topic!

[This message has been edited by hmcq (edited May 24, 2002).]
                  Yaad aaiy jo dard ki raat may, jis ki baat ho apni har baat may.

Comment

20 people were let go.

Some of them had more than 25 years of history with the company.

Sad day.

Comment

well good to hear your still there.

[This message has been edited by hmcq (edited May 24, 2002).]

Comment

Explaination

So the companies do and people suffer it but i think for ladies its more usual to get in pain then boys.

Actully i was talking with ref of Pakistan.Here the reasons as well environment for women to work is diffrent.

Normally Ladies try to be stick with One job and Boys to move on.Cause Ladies prefer the envirnment and stabillity and boys always in search for better opportunties.

I am System Admin of in ISP and my job is not 9 to 5, The ISP need their Network in running condtion everytime, so its my respon .If i am not in office and the Network need soem troubleshoot and Network engineers are unable to handel ,they giveme a call ,either i do it from home using telnet or come to office ,Normally i face problems in night after 10 to morning 5 and this is odd time for women.
                        I never seen a women in networks In pakistan specially doing a Network administration Job.even most of them are more capable then men.

So in this situation ,When women got a job they try to be fix there and if something happens in Company as in our ,Most of women just shutoff their job completly.
                        As nearlly all of my department switched the job ,but no girl try to get a new one.

i do not know much about West. but i guess their every person work , I never understand why it happens.When husband is working and getting good salary then why wives go for work ,at least i have more then 70 family members living in 4 diffrent countries and all' wives work ,even they have deposit more then 20 lakh for each of their kids in paki Banks for future use.

------------------
                        Sardar Ahmiq Singh
                        Hujra Number 4 Nankana saab

Comment

Originally posted by sailor:
                          Explaination

So the companies do and people suffer it but i think for ladies its more usual to get in pain then boys.

Actully i was talking with ref of Pakistan.Here the reasons as well environment for women to work is diffrent.

Normally Ladies try to be stick with One job and Boys to move on.Cause Ladies prefer the envirnment and stabillity and boys always in search for better opportunties.

I am System Admin of in ISP and my job is not 9 to 5, The ISP need their Network in running condtion everytime, so its my respon .If i am not in office and the Network need soem troubleshoot and Network engineers are unable to handel ,they giveme a call ,either i do it from home using telnet or come to office ,Normally i face problems in night after 10 to morning 5 and this is odd time for women.
                          I never seen a women in networks In pakistan specially doing a Network administration Job.even most of them are more capable then men.

So in this situation ,When women got a job they try to be fix there and if something happens in Company as in our ,Most of women just shutoff their job completly.
                          As nearlly all of my department switched the job ,but no girl try to get a new one.

i do not know much about West. but i guess their every person work , I never understand why it happens.When husband is working and getting good salary then why wives go for work ,at least i have more then 70 family members living in 4 diffrent countries and all' wives work ,even they have deposit more then 20 lakh for each of their kids in paki Banks for future use.

My 2 cents:

Sailor bhai, 20 lakh rupees may sound like a lot in Pakistan. But that's "only" 40.000 Euro, which is a big amount, but not enough to quit a good job for it.

Other than that, your understanding of working women seems to be very different to the one here in the West.

Most of the working women and girls I know, do not just work for the money. They work because they like their job, they like to do something productive and to use the skills they have earned in college or university at their workplace.

------------------
                          Umer, the Pakistani Brain of Austria
                          The Pakistani Brain of the Austria (formerly known as "The Pakistani Brain of UAE")

Comment

Originally posted by Umer:
                            My 2 cents:

Other than that, your understanding of working women seems to be very different to the one here in the West.

Most of the working women and girls I know, do not just work for the money. They work because they like their job, they like to do something productive and to use the skills they have earned in college or university at their workplace.

Well said Umer! I agree http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/ok.gif

Comment

sailor,

Thank you for the explanation.

There are several reasons why women outside of Pakistan work....even when their husbands are well-employed.

Some couples decide to work hard while they are young so that they are financially secure when it's time to retire.

Some couples are made up of people that are career-oriented and put much emphasis on what they accomplish in the business world. Both men and women of this type pursue better opportunities whenever they have a chance.

Some couples can't manage their money.....so they both work forever.

Different reasons.

Sometimes I wonder why more women in Pakistan don't work.

Comment

Working...
                              X