Best Universities In Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Universities In Canada

Anyone knows any best universities in Canada..

my brother was thinking to apply somewhr in Canada to do his MAsters in Electrical Enginearinng..

Can anyone suggest me some good universities....

thankss.

------------------
    Zindagi khail hia
    Khail main agar choot lag jayee to roona kaisa,
    Kuch na payee to schakayat kaisi,
    Aur jo kuch paya hia ose khoona kaisa

McGill http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/ok.gif
    McMaster http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/ok.gif

------------------
    The eyelids of a Rajputs eyes are lowered only in death.

Comment

can u tell me whr its located..???

i mean city state??/

Comment

Lahaulwalquwataillahbilla! Please, do tell me that you don't live in Canada!

PP07, for undergrad, do NOT, I repeat do NOT look beyond Waterloo. It's the ultimate ECE undergrad school. Toronto is probably the best Grad school for engineering. McGill is not better than either Waterloo or Toronto in Engineering. McMaster is way down the list in Egineering in both undergrad and grad schools. I'm assuming your brother is looking for good schools and wants more than just to get a ticket to Canada.

Comment

McGill is in Montreal, Quebec.

McMaster is in Hamilton, Ontario.

Toronto is in Toronto, Ontario. (I hope this is obvious)

Waterloo is in Waterloo, Ontario.

Comment

and when you look at Waterloo make sure you remember waterloo is about 2 hours away from toronto and in a remote tiny area called kitchner (cant they think of better names then waterloo and kitchener!!!).

Though the university is great the setting may not be for every persons liking. To spend four years of undergrad in a tiny city can be rather taxing, especially since it tends to be the first experience away from home very often. And at the undergraduate level, social as well as intelectual growth is very very important. Other then that Waterloo is very prestigous - much more so than toronto or the rest - especially in the engineering and science areas.

There is also the University of Western Ontario I believe which is very prestegious as well.

By the way if you can convice your brother about America, the worlds best universities are located here. In EE, my top choice would probably be MIT, Stanford, Caltech, UC Berkeley and Carnigie Mellon.

If he is really up to it MIT and Stanford should be where he should head out it.

And if he is interested in the UK we have Imerpial College and Kings College. Both associated with the University of London and excellent world renouned institutes.

Comment

hmcq

Plenty of other universities in UK which have better engineering programs than kings college.

as far as US undergrad electronics engineering goes, although I am not a huge fan of collegiate rankings..since that is what was asked, here they are.

1. Massachusetts Inst. of Technology
              2. U. of Illinois–Urbana-Champaign *
              3. University of California–Berkeley *
              4. Stanford University (CA)
              5. University of Michigan–Ann Arbor *
              6. California Institute of Technology
              7. Georgia Institute of Technology *
              8. Purdue Univ.–West Lafayette (IN)*
              9. Carnegie Mellon University (PA)
              10. Cornell University (NY)
              11. University of Texas–Austin *
              12. Princeton University (NJ)
              13. Univ. of California–Los Angeles *
              14. Rensselaer Polytechnic Inst. (NY)
              15. Univ. of Wisconsin–Madison *
              16. Virginia Tech *
              17. Univ. of California–Santa Barbara *
              Univ. of Southern California
              19. North Carolina State U.–Raleigh *
              Pennsylvania State U.–University Park *
              21. Texas A&M Univ.–College Station *
              University of Washington *
              23. Johns Hopkins University (MD)
              Rice University (TX)

* denotes a public school.

Below is a link for as site which may prove helpful to anyone looking to get into engineering.
              http://www.asee.org/precollege/finding.cfm

[This message has been edited by X2 (edited May 29, 2002).]
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Comment

The above is from US News.
                http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/col...g/phd/elec.htm

The best is MIT, Berkeley and Stanford. I am surprised that Urbana is in there but generally if you talk to professors or business people these three then to be the most reputable.

By the way Kings was good when I was think about it but like I said Imperial is the best. I am not sure but isnt there a danish institute that is also very well respected in the academic community.

Comment

What is the general view of the University of Carlton? I think the place is ideal for studying, however I've heard mixed things about the universities standard.

For someone doing BCS, which university would be a good choice?

Comment

Some clarfications:

Originally posted by hmcq:
                    and when you look at Waterloo make sure you remember waterloo is about 2 hours away from toronto and in a remote tiny area called kitchner (cant they think of better names then waterloo and kitchener!!!).
                    It's one hour away. It takes exactly 1 hr and 15 minutes if one drives like a good boy.

Though the university is great the setting may not be for every persons liking. To spend four years of undergrad in a tiny city can be rather taxing, especially since it tends to be the first experience away from home very often. And at the undergraduate level, social as well as intelectual growth is very very important. Other then that Waterloo is very prestigous - much more so than toronto or the rest - especially in the engineering and science areas.
                    All undergrad engineering at Waterloo is 5 years because there are two years of co-op experience built in to the program. And you cannot opt out of co-op. No co-op, they kick you out. Plus you have to either work or study throughout the year. This means no summer vacation. Only small breaks between terms.

The city isn't really as tiny as you think. Since a lot of Torontonians are living here, the place is quite lively. I don't know how much it would matter though because engineering is a blackhole for time. It's hard to find time for other things

There is also the University of Western Ontario I believe which is very prestegious as well.
                    NO disrespect intended at all but the above statement is not quite accurate. In terms of prestige, the rankings are sth like:

Waterloo
                    Toronto
                    McGill

The rest are all the same.

Comment

None Taken. I still think Kitchener is tineey weeeny town, with a big goverment block in the center http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/smile.gif. The area is scenic though and it takes about 2 hours if you take grey hound or the train from Toronto.

I have a very close friend in grad school - engineering - may be it was his fault but it was pretty much just taking the bus from the waterloo stop to the rest of the town and thats that.

Is the egyptian resturant right next to waterloo still open? that was the highlight of my trip out there.

Originally posted by sambrialian:
                      Some clarfications:

NO disrespect intended at all but the above statement is not quite accurate. In terms of prestige, the rankings are sth like:

Waterloo
                      Toronto
                      McGill

The rest are all the same.

Comment

Originally posted by hmcq:
                        I have a very close friend in grad school - engineering.

Is the egyptian resturant right next to waterloo still open? that was the highlight of my trip out there.

Yeah, you might be right about the city glamour stuff. I'm not the exploring kind so I wouldn't know.

So, what's your friend's name? Is he a Grad student in Civil eng'g? I should know him.

Yeah, Medina is the name of the resturaunt. Very nice people. The owner of the place passed away when he went to Hajj. I didn't know him personally but heard some very, very nice things about him. So much so that a Gori wrote about how good a friend he had been to her and other students in the University paper. So, yeah the resturaunt is still there.

Comment

Originally posted by sambrialian:
                          So, what's your friend's name? Is he a Grad student in Civil eng'g? I should know him.

Yeah, Medina is the name of the resturaunt. Very nice people. So, yeah the resturaunt is still there.
                          Yeah you should probably know him if you hang around desi people are a grad student. Hes in engineer but not a civilian http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/smile.gif. Are you in buildings or water side?

Ohh well I guess everyones gotta go sometime. Good food and good service. Plus its the closest anything out there came to desi food http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/smile.gif. So exactly how cold does it get in the winter nights http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/biggrin.gif

Comment

Working...
                          X