c.v's......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

c.v's......

Does anyone have any good CV writing tips? I'm trying to do mine and am totally stuck, can't get a professional service to do it as they can only do it in french.
    My main problem is the order that everything needs to be in.....do your qualifications go before your employment history etc etc
    Any advice would be helpful.

Originally posted by shahreen:
    My main problem is the order that everything needs to be in.....do your qualifications go before your employment history etc etc
    Any advice would be helpful.
    Put the section that you are stronger in first. If you have more work experience, put it first. If you have taken lots of courses, put that first. Basically you want to highlight your strengths and give them ample exposure. Normally, I think people put work experience first.

Comment

MS Office is very good http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/smile.gif go to start--> new office document-->other document ( i believe this is it.. correct me if i am wrong guys) .

They have really nice resumes there.. samples http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/smile.gif
      Life became all Gray! But NOW i have decided to paint it all over again.

I Tawt I Taw A Puddy Tat

Comment

Moved from General to Careers Section.

Comment

it really depends on how many jobs have you had, of what levels, how much experience etc etc.

For newer grads its recommended to highlight the education fist and then go to experience and add info on leadership and extra curricular awards etc.

for people with work expperience, that aspect is more important and that goes first.

Inceasingly people are adding a section on skills so recruitersd dont have to read the whole resume to understand what skills the person really has. especially true for our techie brethren. Additionally sometimes even before expereince an expertise section which highlights major skills is a good idea.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Comment

thanks for the good advice guys.

I'm hestitant to highlight my employment history much as I am trying to get a job more related to my degree whereas all my jobs have been fitness related. any advice?

Comment

it also depends on how much experience you have had. However if you have been working for the last three years and suddenly you put your education first it might give the wrong message since the first date on there would be like 3 yrs old.

In this case since you want to change careers, a section at the bottom specifically with the skills that meet your new job, even if they are skills that you learnt a couple of year.

Also highlight all the managerial stuff and the things that can be crossed over to the new career.

Also start making contacts in your new field either from school or your social/professional circles and find out what these people look for when hiring employees. Use this as a check list to ensure you are highlighting the right items on your resume and if you have any gaps to fill them up with classes or continuing education credits etc.

Hope that helps.

Comment

Working...
              X