Speaking in English

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speaking in English

There is something that has been bothering me for a long time now. Living in Europe I don't have so many opportunties to speak in english. As kid and teenager I spoke english very well with american accent, later learned to speak urdu and after that german. Now I have lost contact with verbal english. Even though I know I can speak in english I feel some hesitation in doing so, don't know why I feel I am not good anymore. I need help I want to improve my verbal english, any idea how can I do get my confidence again?

pick up a copy of those ever so famous Wren & Martin english vocab books that were thrust down our gullets back in pakistan.

or, start watching english programs on tv. which im sure you do already.

make some english speaking friends. no better way to learn a language than by conversation.
    Yaad aaiy jo dard ki raat may, jis ki baat ho apni har baat may.

Comment

You could also join a voice chat or chat that offers to teach english at different levels. Friend of mine does that. *smile*

I am also reading books on improving my english and grammar. I will send you a PM of the books I am using. *smile*

------------------
      Learn to love yourself, then learn to love one-another

This is not my Paradise
      "O man! What has seduced thee from thy Lord Most Beneficent?" - Quran 82:6

Sponsor and choose an orphan at alyateem dot com

Comment

<<<pick up a copy of those ever so famous Wren & Martin english vocab books that were thrust down our gullets back in pakistan.>>>

cHEeGUm hmmm reading a book is no doubt a good idea to improve grammer, but I need to work on my conversation skills, means I need to be fluent in speaking without thinking about what I want to say. I doubt that any book will help me there, but maybe its worth a try - thanks

<<<or, start watching english programs on tv. which im sure you do already>>>

already do, like english films, programms, though on tv its limited to CNN & BBC but I am able to lend a movie ect.

<<<make some english speaking friends. no better way to learn a language than by conversation.>>>

yes this would be helpful, but then again I don't have any english speaking friends over here, all my friends even pakistani speak german. But this takes me to the idea of joing a professional english club or doing an intensive english conversation course with native speaker teacher thanks http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/ok.gif

<<<You could also join a voice chat or chat that offers to teach english at different levels. Friend of mine does that. >>>

Munni, this idea is good, but I am not a fan of voice chatting, i'd rather know the person or see the person I am speaking to, don't know why I dont feel good with strangers, bad habit, I know or I am just old fashioned and reserved *sigh*

<<<I am also reading books on improving my english and grammar. I will send you a PM of the books I am using>>>

Thanks so much very kind of you, please do PM those books, I appreciate that very much http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/smile.gif

Comment

Thanx SADI your thread will work more then for me http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/smile.gif i am in same problem too ,even my wrriten is more then worse and Pristine is normally used to talk with me in urdu when ever he sees me on the board. http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/smile.gif

I am too good in Network language and i just speak perfect words when talking about network, cause previous three years i did not even breath other then Networks.And its language look like

Telnet pshgw ,vi blabla file ,eidt line and ctrlx it and restart this.

Now its a complete comprehensive Sentence for a network guy and it can be solve his problem even he is from Mars. I am in company of all over the networkers and they all americans British and Norwegeion etc everyone speak same english.But now i hate this.

But when it come to soultion ,buy luck i got a good English teacher in Graduation and she made me Eglish speaking ,and the way she adopeted was the "presenttaion", it improves ur english to speak ,I was supposed to present before my class and after one or two classes we were able to speak some simple english and then some more and more.

You ll laugh that we were so much afarid of that presentation thing , that i was used to speak in eglish at diffrent subjects with myslef even in toilet ,walking on road ,in kitchen and to animals ,and it was too good experience coz it let u experince use of diffrent words in diffrent enviornment

Best of Luck ,i think we both start here a english here as we have opport .Of Muzna Appi ,she'll better teah us.

------------------
          Sardar Ahmiq Singh
          Hujra Number 4 Nankana saab

Comment

u know what, u should ask one of your english friend to talk to you on phone daily for an hour or so...that would definitely help you improve your spoken english skills http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/smile.gif

Comment

I'd suggest talking to yourself in front of the mirror. Also, if you can get a friend to practice with, you can correct each other.
              22.1 . O mankind! Fear your Lord . Lo! the earthquake of the Hour ( of Doom ) is a tremendous thing .

Comment

Originally posted by SADI:
                There is something that has been bothering me for a long time now. Living in Europe I don't have so many opportunties to speak in english. As kid and teenager I spoke english very well with american accent, later learned to speak urdu and after that german. Now I have lost contact with verbal english. Even though I know I can speak in english I feel some hesitation in doing so, don't know why I feel I am not good anymore. I need help I want to improve my verbal english, any idea how can I do get my confidence again?

Living in a German speaking environment, like here in Austria, really makes it difficult to practice one's English.
                I still think that my English skills are not as good as they should be. But at least I feel that they have improved because of the 6 weeks in Budapest (1998), where I had to talk in English all the time and also because of the 6 months in Pakistan (2001), where I was teaching in English.

So basically you'd have to force yourself into situations where you have to speak English because the other person does not know German, Urdu or whatever other languages you speak.

------------------
                Umer, the Pakistani Brain of Austria
                The Pakistani Brain of the Austria (formerly known as "The Pakistani Brain of UAE")

Comment

Poor Pakistanis thats why they often have problem with their english. Umer you tested your skills on my dear country men, sighs. (no wonder why we have so much problem in communication)

[This message has been edited by lost soul (edited May 26, 2002).]

Comment

memories are treasures that no one can steal, separations are wounds that no one can heal.

[This message has been edited by lost soul (edited May 25, 2002).]

Comment

Originally posted by pumpkin:
                      u know what, u should ask one of your english friend to talk to you on phone daily for an hour or so...that would definitely help you improve your spoken english skills http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/smile.gif

And friend's telephone bill too http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/hehe.gif

------------------
                      Sardar Ahmiq Singh
                      Hujra Number 4 Nankana saab

Comment

Sailor I can understand your dilemma, the education in Pakistan for english medium private schools are very expensive and the normal school do not provide all the requirments for good speaking skills. Where as someone who lived in usa or uk all their lifes it will be a normal thing as someone who is living in a non english speaking country. Learning the grammer of any language is easy but to learn the conversation skills one needs to be with native speakers. Anyway good to hear that you are willing to improve and I do think that your written engish has improved a lot during the last few months here in GS.

pumpkin Good idea, now all I need is a friend with one hour of spare time each day. http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/smile.gif

Hinna Yeah a native english speaking friend would be fine and helpful.

Umer Agree wiht you there, when I am visiting Canada this year hopefully Insahallah I am speaking nothing but english with my cousins there.

Comment

Working...
                        X