• Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are facilitation skills?

Well..?

^
    try this one!

Comment

In I.T industry this term is normally used along with leadership skills.
      Systems analysts use it for demonstrating their skills in JAD - joint application development or Rapid application development phases. You invite end users, managers and programmers and facilitate these sessions....basically, bring everyone on the same page and lead the team.

Comment

JAd sessions or express sessions, leading brainstorming sessions, consensus building exercises. There are many flavours of the facilitation activity types and needs, the skills are almost the same. being in control of the discussions, keeping them on track, ensuring every item gets addresses, knowledge shared etc to an appropriate level, without missing stuff or getting mired in minutia.

Are you getting in a rolw where you need to start leading facilitated sessions?
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Comment

Originally posted by Fraudz:

Are you getting in a rolw where you need to start leading facilitated sessions?
          Well no, but I was talking to a manager from a propective employer and he kept reffering to facilitation skills etc etc. Now if it ever comes up again maybe I can relate to them in a better way.

Comment

If you want I can send you some information on planning and leading express sessions and some general frameworks for other facilitated meetings usually decision making oriented ones.

The key is planning ahead, understanding personalities involved, laying out the modus operendi at the beginning of the session.

The toughest challenge is when you are facilitating a session with many of your seniors involved and they want to go of on tangents, your role is to keep it moving along, either by nudging them back towards the flow of the discussion, but at the same time sometimes the dynamics of the session can change and have a positive impact due to something coming up which was unexpected but cant be placed on a parking lot, and you have to go along with it still ensuring that you reach the objectives of the session

Some companies offer training in facilitated sessions to managers etc and in some cases you just have to learn by being involved in some of these.

Confidence, ability to speak and interact with large crowds, and a sense of humour is very important.
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Comment

Working...
            X