Where are you from...asks the employer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where are you from...asks the employer

I have been asked this question in countless interviews the past few months. "Where are you from?" The way its usually asked is, "How do you pronounce your last name?" and then, "Whats the origin of that name?" I dont know how to avoid it. I feel compelled to tell the interviewer due to feeling that if I dont tell him/her, I wont be hired. *sigh*

How to handle this question? Thank you.

------------------
    Learn to love yourself, then learn to love one-another

This is not my Paradise
    "O man! What has seduced thee from thy Lord Most Beneficent?" - Quran 82:6

Sponsor and choose an orphan at alyateem dot com

id think those are really dumb questions. especially the origin of the name.

ive been asked countless times about how to pronounce my surname but never the origin.

just tell them you're not sure whats the origin of your name. or get back at the interviewer with a witty comeback like 'naam may kya rakha haiy, kaam batao' http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/tongue.gif
    Yaad aaiy jo dard ki raat may, jis ki baat ho apni har baat may.

Comment

Ask them back!!! I bet they don't know whats the meaning of their name and where are they from originally! :-P

Personally I enjoy all these cultural questions in an interview. Kinda gives me something to grind them about, that they mostly have no idea about.
      I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
      - Robert McCloskey

Comment

Munni

in some cases its an innocent question, in others its a way to find out origins and although that cant be used to not hire u, they can build up other reasons. Even when it comes to HR depts, sometimes the low level HR clerk admin who checks incoming resumes can toss/delete yours if she has some issue with people of a certain background etc.

I have at times played back the ignorance at them. Like " I am not quite certain" the name is used in various regions, or just joke and say I believe its russian or chinese, and then say I am not quite sure of the origins.

In most cases I am straight forward and tell them, cuz if they are going to not hire me due to my background, I would not want to work for them anyways.
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Comment

Fraudz,

Please check your PM. Thanks. *smile*

------------------
          Learn to love yourself, then learn to love one-another

This is not my Paradise
          "O man! What has seduced thee from thy Lord Most Beneficent?" - Quran 82:6

Sponsor and choose an orphan at alyateem dot com

Comment

Since the question is illegal, if it comes up in an interview set up by school, you should mention it to your school. Generally schools will colate results such as these and pass them to the companies involved at the end of the year so that supicion is not placed on any sepcific students and the HR dept can fix the problem.

As to answering it: you can either just say you are not sure as a joke just like Fraudia mentioned, even adding, since I grew up here I have never considered that question.

There is also the: perhaps if you could show how this related to the position I may be better able to answer the question. (useful especailly if you dont want to work for the firm and want to make the recruiter tense/protective)

Here are some answers from Adams Job Interview Alamanac:

A1) This question makes me uncomfortable. I would really rather not answer it.

A2) I am not quite sure I understand what you are getting at. Would you please explain to me how this issue is relevant to the position?

Comment

Working...
            X