Behavioral Interviews

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Behavioral Interviews

I guess all new grads have to go through these at one time or another. I am sure many of us have been through one already. As they are becoming more and more popular, I guess being prepared for these is important.

I read somewhere:

From an employer's standpoint, the philosophy behind behavioral interviewing is simple and straightforward: Your past behavior predicts your future behavior. In other words, if an employer wants to know how you'll respond to a future situation in the company, he or she can get a pretty good indication by figuring out how you've responded to similar situations before.
    Another thing I have been told is that behavioral interviews are based on performance and interviews with already successful employees.

Now I am sure we have many successful people here . So how do (or did) you guys tackle these interviews? How do you answer questions like "Tell me about a time when…" or "Give me an example of a case where you had to...."? How long do you make your answer? What do you include and leave out? What are the absolutely essential points to keep in mind to perform well in behavioral interviews?

Comments, stories, articles, advice,…..everythings welcome.

[This message has been edited by who---me (edited May 13, 2002).]

read the job requirements colsely, understand the company culture better and state your experiences which are in line with what the requirements are.

a behavioral interview for a research assistant for teh same company is going to be very different from one for a sales agent.

The common factors they always look for is an ability to solve problems, working with people in good and bad situations, communications skills, team work etc.

There are some good resources on teh web, mostly provided by university placement centers. Look them up
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Comment

I have found that just being yourself helps you alot during an interview than putting on a show.

Employer is not looking for a heroic thing that you did in the past but they wanna know how you got a positive outcome from an odd situation. They wanna see if you can think out of the box and how u utilize ur resources.
      Make sure u have a couple of examples/stories handy which u can relate to the behavioral type questions. Also, when you r giving the employer example of how u handled things difficult situations, make sure u follow the 'star' approach i.e explain the situation first then the actions u took followed by the results...keep them interested in your story and try to sell those skills which are written in the job description.

ciao
      BoSS

Comment

I'v found out that having another job lined up and secure helps the most.
        JaddoN kaddya jaloos ghareeba tay shehr ich choatalee lug gayee

Comment

Apply the STAR principle

S - Situation
          T- Tasks
          A- Actions
          R - Results

So when asked a question such as tell me about a time when you did something creative; start by describing a situation, and the task at hand, then talk about the actions you took (this is the bulk - about 30 secs) and then briefly mention the result (eg led to a new way of doing things).

If you need more details let me know and I will explain it further. Having a job does help though- it shows that the employer that you are a desireable person.

Comment

I think the STAR principle is nice. Being ur self helps a lot, but don't forget to prepare...

Be Informed about the company.

Try to make a list of ur Strengths and Weaknesses...Try to think of example during ur study and other jobs when u got the opportunity to develop ur Weaknesses or develop ur Strenght further.

I really helped me during my interview. http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/smile.gif

Comment

Working...
            X