in need of a suggestion...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

in need of a suggestion...

I need to decide on a major... and i still havent decided yet...
    what major do you think has a lot of potential?
    Good universities... around the world?
    and what do you actually do in aerospace and civic engineering?

thanks...

Top 10 majors sought by employers according to poll conducted by National association of Colleges and Employees (Spring 2002):

1. Accounting
    2. Mechanical Engineering
    3. Economics/Finance
    4. Business Admin./Management
    5. Electrical/Electronics & Communications Engineering
    6. Chemical Engineering
    7. Marketing/Marketing management
    8. Civil Engineering
    9. MIS/Business data processing
    10. Computer science

*smile*

------------------
    Learn to love yourself, then learn to love one-another

This is not my Paradise
    "O man! What has seduced thee from thy Lord Most Beneficent?" - Quran 82:6

Sponsor and choose an orphan at alyateem dot com

Comment

^ thanks
      i am studying marketing/ business and was looking into electrical eng and civil eng.
      http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/smile.gif
      but what bout my second question

Comment

I am against marketing/business studies for idealistic reasons http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/smile.gif. I would say engineering or any of the sciences...we as Muslims and Pakistanis really need PhDs/researchers especially in the natural sciences

Comment

^ thanks for ur input... guess nobody else cares to answer my question...

Comment

here is something you will not hear from many people and it is the path that is difficult and not taken by many but I hope to tell my kids (when I have them http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/biggrin.gif) about it.

become either a teacher or a social scientist. Why ?

well because we all talk about how pakistan is wasting away and how we need to do things to change that, yet we refuse to make any sacrifices. we all want to be big people and become doctors and engineers , who later go on to complain about how bad the politicians and teachers are. So heres your chance to make your mark and make a change. I am an engineer as well so I know how much easier it is to be an engineer and doctor but if any of you have seriously thought about making a change then we need to start with ourseleves.

So become a social scientist or a teacher. it may be a hard journey but it is the right journey.

Ok now I will get off my soap box.

Comment

hmcq don't you think we have enough Social Scientists? In a lot of the universities in the UK and to some extent the US the faculty almost always consists of Pakistanis in the Social Science faculties. However, research labs directed by Pakistanis are rather rare. Maybe I am entombed in my own ivory tower but don't you think we need to have transfer of technology and benefit from emerging research before we can make social theories/models of our own? Just my opinion.

Comment

i do like socail science, and teaching... nice idea

Comment

Originally posted by mufakkar:
                  hmcq don't you think we have enough Social Scientists? In a lot of the universities in the UK and to some extent the US the faculty almost always consists of Pakistanis in the Social Science faculties. However, research labs directed by Pakistanis are rather rare. Maybe I am entombed in my own ivory tower but don't you think we need to have transfer of technology and benefit from emerging research before we can make social theories/models of our own? Just my opinion.
                  Actually thats not true. Count the number of engineers and docters and compare them to the social scientists. And dont do that only for Academia but overall. There are very few comptent social scientists as far as I know in the US, but there are virtually thousands of top notch engineers here. The fact that they refuse to help in transfer of technology is a different issue but there are plenty of them out here.

Comment

Hi,

Well aerospace engineering is mostly about rocket functionalities, like how to build propeling engines, how to optimize rocket fuel injection etc, its quite technical so if u have a very mathematical and physics mind. go for it. You can also get further information (and there is a set of module description in the website) i cant recall the address but search for "Institute of Aerospace Engineering" in USA and ull get all you want on this topic.

Take care,
                    Neo

------------------
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~
                    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources." --
                    "If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." --
                    "I never think of the future. It comes soon enough." --
                    "It's not that I'm so smart , it's just that I stay with problems longer ."--
                    "Watch the stars, and from them learn. To the Master's honor all must
                    turn, each in its track, without a sound, forever tracing Newton's ground."--
                    "Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts."--
                    "Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." --
                    "True love doesn't have a happy ending, because true love never ends. "

--ALBERT EINSTIEN--
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~

Comment

Thanks http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/ok.gif
                      wat bout civil eng.?

Comment

tipz since you live in California i'm sure you know about the UC's (university of california) Davis,Berekely,Los Angeles, and San Diego are all outstanding. They have great websites to keep you on track for what you need to do in order to gain admission ucpathways its called i believe.

Now there are private ones as well such as UCS(University of southern california) and UOP(university of the pacific).

State ones are less costly and the one that i actually visited and found to be leading in its teaching of science is Cal Poly San Luis Obispo.

When i was in high school the only way i got through all the desision making was by visiting the universities with my parents. I always had one prospective of what the campus would be like, the people, the living or even the surroundings however when you visit the campus its another story.

Since summer is coming up i would tell your parents to take you to all the campus you are thinking about.

And lastly study for your SAT'S, the vocbulary part is killer.

Take care feel free to ask questions http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/smile.gif

Comment

^ yah i know 'bout the colleges and all
                          am i just confused bout the major... what should i major in... i got a 1360 on the SAT's and am getting ready to take the SAT II's in june...
                          I need to know about the majors and the carrers and i started another post, asking bout carrers in Pakistan... i plan on moving back...
                          thanks for ur suggestion http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/ok.gif

Comment

Originally posted by tipz:
                            Thanks http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/ok.gif
                            wat bout civil eng.?
                            As a civil engineer, I would not recommend it. It is a steady job but with limited growth potential. Probably in another 20 years the field come back but till then most of roads and water supplies have already been built.

Ghalib you want to add more http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/biggrin.gif

Comment

tipz, I haven't really followed this thread but I would like to offer you some advice hopefully you'll find it useful.

When I was picking a major, I did a similar survey as you are conducting and I came to the conclusion that a career in XYZ would be good because the grads made good money and had tonnes of potential. But I have realized a couple of years into it that it really isn't my thing. Why? because I like to diversify and want to do a whole more stuff. But I ended up doing it because it had potential and would gurantee me a good pay cheque.

I asked tonnes of people for advice when I was deliberating over my choices. And I got all sorts of irrelevant advice. So I have concluded that the best advice to give if asked for my opinion is that study what you enjoy doing.

It might seem simple and redundant but trust me it works. Don't worry if something has potential or not. If you like it, go for it and everything else will fall in place. The point is to excel in whatever you choose!

Comment

Working...
                              X