Successful Project Management

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Successful Project Management

I believe there are many project/human management gurus out there on GS, so why not just share our views about project management.

For now i have a few questions, and would appreciate your valuable input:
    • Is there any set pattern for the project management, i mean is there any widely accepted model that one should follow for planning?
    • What is the efficient way of introducing check points in your project plan to monitor the progress without affecting its normal flow?
    • and last but not least, What should be done to keep the team members focused, committed and motivated?

<<<and last but not least, What should be done to keep the team members focused, committed and motivated? >>>

Sixpack http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/biggrin.gif

(sorry couldn't resist yaar)

Comment

For 1) and 2) do you mean something like CPM/Pert?

3) Tie outcomes to inputs. so say bonuses or raises/promotions are tied to the project's completion.

Comment

There are quite a few methodolgies out there...it really depends on the industry, size, scope and goals of your project.

Is there any set pattern for the project management, i mean is there any widely accepted model that one should follow for planning?
        Usually for a simple generic project you follow seven basic steps i.e concept development, planning, Design, Assembly, Testing, Development and Turnover to operation.

I have used systems development life cycle methodology and my project management style has pretty much been based on SDLC phases. It makes it easier for me to identify deliverables and get sign offs from clients.

What is the efficient way of introducing check points in your project plan to monitor the progress without affecting its normal flow?
        I recommend that you check and monitor your project every day. Your check points are ur sub-milestones to achieve your final one. But you don't wanna get carried away with sub division. Make it clear, simple and minimize overlapping of tasks here, however you can't ignore overlapping /parallelism of tasks to accomplish your main milestone.
        I have used MS project and Excel for montioring and I have found Excel to be more user friendly for volatile projects, however, MS-project gives u more tools and reporting facilities.

and last but not least, What should be done to keep the team members focused, committed and motivated?

Use an open door policy. Your team members should feel comfortable in approaching you. Also, make sure you give status report to the team (without getting into too much details) and keep them focused towards ur final goals. If you are managing different teams then let every team know about other team's progress and ur stance on dealing with risks and constraints. Don't forget to appreciate those who do well, be firm with those who don't and make sure you don't get drained yourself in the process.
        Hope it helps.

Comment

if project management is an area of your work or goals, you may want to go for the Project Management Professional (PMP) designation by the Project Management Institute (PMI). the Project Mgmt Body of Knowledge (PMBOK) should be like a holy book for project managers.

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Comment

Fraudia
            how useful is the PMI certification in consulting ? One of my friends has been suggesting I take it to add to my resume but I am not sure.

What other project management or consulting certifications can really show a persons fit for the business? I sometimes wish there was something like the CPA or CFA exams for consultants so that there would be way to differenciate people?

is there consultants organization by the way?

Sorry if I am detracting from the original thread topic.

Comment

Hmcq

you can get certified consultant designation but it is mostly used by independent consultants. If you are working as a consultant or have worked as a consultant at one of the major consultign companies then its kinda understood that you know how it works.

as far as PMI certification goes, they have made it harder over the years. You need a certain number of hours of project mgmt experience in various different categories, planning, executing, controlling, managing etc. The exams are fairly tough, and yes, they are useful in consulting. As a matter of fact IBM global services is making it mandatory for people above a certain band (band = level), or people who are trying to get promoted above a certain band to have the PMP designation.

as far as designations go, there are so many, i dont know where to start, e.g. if you are in supply chain u can get APICS certification. it just depends what sort of consulting you do. sometimes the work liek strategy type work doe snot have any real certifications, but the fact that u have an MBA and then some targeted courses can help you. In past I have attended certificate courses at Wharton and Kellogg just to bulk up on a specific topic.
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Comment

Working...
              X