Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another career question

Salaam!

I would like to hear from working guppies, so please do enlighten me with ur personal point of view.

My question:

If you have an interesting and secure job would you still change your work just to get some more experience and to broaden your horizon or would you not take any risk and stay at your job till the rest of your life?? What would you do and what are the advantages and disadvantages of such moves ? Anyone ever been there???

As with most things in life, it would depend on the individual, i guess, so can't really give any comprehensive pro's and con's list.

I myself never lasted in a supposedly good and secure job simply because I felt I did not receive any self-satisfaction and mental enjoyment from it. For me it was the most brain-dead thing anyone could ever do. It wasn't challenging. Not to mention the fact I don't tend to stick to one thing for too long.

It's probably down to how much priority you give to routine and job security and how much you "need" a job and whether you can really afford to change it. At present, none of those matter much to me.

Always a rolling stone. :--)

Comment

It depends, if i have around 15+ years of experience then obviously i wouldnt just switch job for thrill...but ofcourse if i am in my earlier years of career i would definitely go for the new more exciting job rather than sticking to the same old. But again, its not advisable to switch your jobs too often...one should stick to one organisation for like 2 yrs before moving on to the next one (this usually gives you advantage while negotiating your perks)

Comment

First of all there is no such thing as secure and if you want a good career then just remember this saying "harkat meiN barkat hai"

Comment

i have got a work experience of 6 yrs in marketing and only last year i secured a `safe' job.safe job in terms of salary but i had to wait for another six months to secure the safety of the job in the form of confirmation of the job.

i think i am happy and satisfied.but there is an important thing to deal with .even if u bag a safe job as in my mind natuarally ur employer will expect more out put from it,and as a subsequent factor u have to deal with a great deal of work like targets,business and more profits.these can prove burden for u.i m talking through the prism of marketing and each job has its own forms of vriations.

as far as marketing is concerned,and looking through the angle of indian management concepts people go on chaning their tracks and a the new options open up.in marketing field chances will never wait for u..

but i do not know which field u r representing....

thank u

Comment

If you have an interesting and secure job would you still change your work just to get some more experience and to broaden your horizon
            I think u answered your question urself...if u r looking for more 'experience' then there is no point of living in a comfort zone...change and better equip urself before it is too late.

or would you not take any risk and stay at your job till the rest of your life??
            There is no 'job for life' these days. This concept is outdated (if it ever existed to begin with). Companies want you only if you are making a difference and if ur company goes through a rough cycle and ur services are an overhead then consider ur job to be in jeopardy.

Comment

Working...
            X