X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

your opinions needed!!

Asalamalaikum my fellow guppees..

I am in a confused state of mind.
    I will inshallah be graduating in December 2002 as a chemical engineer.
    Now
    I can either start working as a graduate chemical engineer and earn basic salary etc plus company benefits
    OR
    I can help my dad running his own employment agency and earn a lot more and slowly take over the whole company once my dad is fed up of it.

Can you folks help me with this one in highlighting the pro's and con's of both and what would you do if you were in my shoes?

thanks

------------------
    When rape is inevitable lie back and enjoy it.
    I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make as they go flying by

unless you plan on doing an MBA or have great social/networking skills chemical engineering is probably a better bet but it all depends on what you want. By the way there are lots of chem engineers who make very decent salaries depending on the company and what area you sepcialized in.

In the current market the trend is to eventually do a masters and that may be another option if you are so inspired.

Comment

I think you should take over your DAD's business. You will be taking over the established business when ur dad gets fed up & you will already know the inside out of it if u work for few years. It means you dont have to work 24/7 to establish it plus you will be your own boss.

Education is great but I have seen several people working in entirely different field from the studies they did in University.

I did BSc (hons) in Physics & started working with Computers. After working with computers for 3 years I decided to do MSc in IT.

Let see what others suggest.

Comment

It all depends on how interested you are in what your dad does and how much you are skilled for it.

if you like it and you are good at it and wanna do it then that would be the perfect setting

Comment

thanks folks,
          much appreciated.
          For now i will carry on with my studies and try to secure a job.
          Once i graduate i will inshallah make up my mind on what i want to do but i am a bit inclined to the business side.

Thanks again

------------------
          When rape is inevitable lie back and enjoy it.
          I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make as they go flying by

Comment

Hi, I am also graduating this year in the summer, i am doing a degree in medicinal chemistry. I am planning to do my masters and then PHD in this subject. cant u do something similar?
            I think u should work within ur own field initially and once u have gain enough experiance and are ready for some change u can then join ur dad's business cuz that something u can always fall back on. But at at the end of the day u should do what you would enjoy making your living from.

Comment

Working...
            X