• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vomit!

Dino-Era Vomit Fossil Found in England

National Geographic News
    February 12, 2002

British scientists have discovered the world's oldest fossilized vomit, believed to have come from a large marine reptile 160 million years ago.

The vomit contains the remains of dozens of belemnites—squid-like shellfish that lived in abundance in the seas around what is now Britain. The belemnites were eaten in great numbers by ichthyosaurs, large marine reptiles (related to land-dwelling dinosaurs) common in the warm seas of the Jurassic era, similar in size and shape to dolphins but with pointed snouts full of sharp teeth.

The vomit fossil shows the remains of dozens of squid-like shellfish that were eaten in great numbers by ichthyosaurs, large marine reptiles (related to land-dwelling dinosaurs) common in the warm seas of the Jurassic era.

The technicolor yawn was discovered in a clay quarry in Peterborough by the University of Greenwich's Peter Doyle and Jason Wood of the Open University.

Having eaten dozens of belemnites, an ichthyosaur would regurgitate their indigestible bullet-shaped shells in much the same way that an owl does after eating a mouse whole, the scientists announced Tuesday. It is these shells that have been discovered in the fossil vomit.

"We believe that this is the first time the existence of fossil vomit on a grand scale has been proven beyond reasonable doubt," said geologist Professor Doyle. "The Peterborough belemnite shells, viewed under a powerful scanning electron microscope, have revealed 'acid etching' marks caused by digestive fluids from the gut of a marine reptile, proving that the belemnites had been eaten by a predator. The fact that most of these belemnites were juveniles reinforces our view that they did not die of old age."

------------------
    Learn to love yourself, then learn to love one-another

[This message has been edited by Munni (edited February 23, 2002).]
    "O man! What has seduced thee from thy Lord Most Beneficent?" - Quran 82:6

Sponsor and choose an orphan at alyateem dot com

All that hangama over vomit???
    :yuck:

------------------
    May The Madness Be Upon You!!!

Comment

was it a stag night?

or just a weekend piss up?

Comment

Interesting aspect into the eating habits of marine reptiles. I wonder why we don't see simliar behaviour in marine reptiles or mammals in the present day...maybe we do.

However recognising acid etching from specifically stomache acids in 160 million year old samples is dubious.

But good stuff nonetheless.

'Jurassic Barf' http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/rotato.gif I see a movie series coming on.

Comment

Ewwwwww!
          I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
          - Robert McCloskey

Comment

I bet the dino had haggis for dinner...or a shawarma from that wanna be shawarma punk by oxford circus station across from topman.h
            Your friendly neighbourhood fraudiya loafer luccha lufanga awara ayaash aubaash ghunda badmaash man

Comment

Originally posted by Munni:
              Dino-Era Vomit Fossil Found in England

National Geographic News
              February 12, 2002

British scientists have discovered the world's oldest fossilized vomit, believed to have come from a large marine reptile 160 million years ago.
              'Tis vomit found in England. Just goes to show that the english food would make anyone puke, even poor ol' Dinos.

Comment

Originally posted by Munni:
                The vomit contains the remains of dozens of belemnites—squid-like shellfish
                I thought he ate at Red Lobster.

Comment

Working...
                X