Medical school in the Caribbean

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Medical school in the Caribbean

Does anyone attend medical school in the Caribbean here? Someone I know has some questions regarding it. Thank you!

------------------
    Learn to love yourself, then learn to love one-another
    "O man! What has seduced thee from thy Lord Most Beneficent?" - Quran 82:6

Sponsor and choose an orphan at alyateem dot com

I know someone who had. Does that help. What kind of questions did you have.

Comment

some of my freinds were in dominican republic for their med degreees, I can ask them if u want. from what I know theya re doing well in residencies in US now.
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Comment

hmcq,

If I could contact them that would be great!

MrFraudia,

Would it be possible for me to email them?

Thanks you two!

It would be good if I could talk to someone who will be attending there soon. *smile*

------------------

Comment

Munni

If you email me your questions, i can get responses from them. They may not be comfortable being contacted by people they dont know.

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Comment

Okay, will do so later this week. Thanks Fraudia. *smile*

------------------

Comment

Munni, when you get your questions answered, do you mind posting the Q/A's here if they're not of personal nature or sth. If you don't feel comfortable, just forget it.

I'm also considering the Carribean option but I've got some time before that. Plus, I don't have any direct questions right now but would like more info though

Thanks a lot!

Comment

Munni,
                sorry for bringing up such an old thread...if by any chance you happen to see this...or if someone else has some info on this...and can post...it would be awesome...
                thanks

Comment

Oh good thread, i've always wanted to know why students opt to go the Carribean medical schools? Is it easy admission, or cost?

Comment

Originally posted by belle:
                    Oh good thread, i've always wanted to know why students opt to go the Carribean medical schools? Is it easy admission, or cost?
                    cost is not all that diff from the US med schools when u take in account the living expenses and all...by the time u r done in the caribbean (i.e. the 2 yrs theory, as well as the 2 yrs clinicals) u would've paid on avg bout $200,000 to the univ...

ezier admissions yes, in terms of having lower GPA requirements and a lower MCAT score...lowest cut-off GPA for med schools in the US is around 3.3/3.4...med schools in the caribbean accept ppl with GPAs as low as 2.7...

same with the MCAT score...u should have a 24 or more on the MCATs to be even considered for med schools in the US...

heres the detailed breakdown for the top 5 univs there:

Other than St. Georges univ in Greneda (the hardest one to get into in the caribbean in terms of avg GPA and MCAT scores...thats on par with the US schools, avg GPA of 3.3/3.4 and MCAT score of 24 to be considered), and AUCmed in St. Marteens (less stringent than St. Georges, requires only a 21 on the MCATs and an avg GPA of 3.1), no other univs requires the MCAT scores for someone to be considered for admissions...its nice to have, but its not a req...

Ross Med. in Dominica has just started requiring the info, but they are only collecting it for stats right now...perhaps next yr, they'll use it in part of the admissions process to consider the candidates...same with SABA (on the island of saba) and MUA at Nevis, they are only requiring the MCAT scores at the moment for statistical purposes...

all of the med schools in the caribbean are goin to standardize the admissions requirements, thats why they've started askin for MCAT scores...just to be on par with the US med schools...

and that rounds off the top 5 schools in the caribbean...i dunno bout the rest

Comment

irem, belle, and anyone else,

One of my bhai's went to school there (Mash'Allah), so if you have any specific questions, just PM me and Insha'Allah I will ask him, and get back to you ASAP. *smile*

Comment

thanks so much DM and Munni...
                        thanks a lot

Comment

Wow the requirments are pretty fair and easy to meet.

Is it safe to study there? I know I sound like a granny.

Comment

Originally posted by belle:
                            Wow the requirments are pretty fair and easy to meet.

Is it safe to study there? I know I sound like a granny.
                            belle, it depends on the requirements. The school my bhai went to is becoming a lot more stringent in their requirements, and many students end up leaving or failing out, from what he told me. He said its due to their wanting to have a better reputation and the like.

Regarding safety, atleast with the school bhai went to, he said it is safe if you are careful, otherwise, it is not a safe place to study. One of his friends was beaten with a baseball bat as soon he left the airport to go to his apartment and had to leave the uni and ended up studying in Mexico or something. This is a rare occassion but it happens. I think he told me something that happened to a girl studying there but I'd have to ask him again. He said there are a lot of thieves there because the people are so poor, and they sometimes watch the students. Also said there are huge crabs that walk the streets and big bulls and cows that can stampede you if they feel threatened. He said the food is awful in that you have to check it for insects everyday and often you will be eating insect parts.

However, he said there is a large muslim population at these schools and they help eachother out for the most part. He got through it but is very very glad to have left the islands. Therefore, if you are careful, dont walk alone, live very near campus, then insha'Allah you should be fine.

I think St. Georges is a better campus from what he was telling me, i.e. safer/more comfortable in living than the school he went to.

Comment

The above post was from my recollections of conversations with bhai.

This here is something bhai wanted to add for those interested:

There are no scholarships to go to Caribbean Medical schools. [Try to get into St. Georges or Ross preferrably.] MCAT has nothing to do with medicine and the subjects are completely void of any pre-medical requirements. USMLE is not like the MCAT, since the schools actually teach you what is on that exam (for the most part). Grading on the USMLE for foreign medical students is alot more difficult. Pass the MCAT (score of 28 or higher) if you can, but if not, then St. Georges or Ross are the best options. Classes are very competative so stay on top. Alot of ppl fail because the schools over-admit students for $$, remember its a business as well. So far, I have no regrets going to school there. 90% of the people I know did not regret their experience either. There are always minor complaints here and there, but I'm sure they're the same complaints as in US schools.
                              Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
                              X