Careers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Careers

Why did you pick the career that you did? How did you know that this was what you wanted to do for the rest of your life? Did you play on your likes and strengths or just the need to work?

------------------
    "Allah extends His Hand at night so that He can forgive the sinner of the day; He extends His Hand in the day so that He can forgive the sinner of the night. He will continue to do so until the sun rises from the West (the Day of Judgment)"

[Related by Imam Muslim]

22.1 . O mankind! Fear your Lord . Lo! the earthquake of the Hour ( of Doom ) is a tremendous thing .

I'm still in the process of choosing. *sigh*

------------------
    Learn to love yourself, then learn to love one-another
    "O man! What has seduced thee from thy Lord Most Beneficent?" - Quran 82:6

Sponsor and choose an orphan at alyateem dot com

Comment

Well i chose chemical engineering as a career and am actually in university final year.
      I chose it becoz it has good career prospects in the UK aswell as in the rest of the world
      the money is quite good too with chemical engineers being regulrly paid higher than their other engineering counter parts.

------------------
      When rape is inevitable lie back and enjoy it.
      I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make as they go flying by

Comment

Hmmm , I choose Aeronotical Engineering, because i like to design and i am into space.
        Its has also great money, but its hard work though, harder then I thought.

I actually wanted to become a fighter-pilot, (I passed all exams/tests for pilots) but my parents dis-agreed, so it was acrtuaslly without mutch thinking
        There is no salvation for the soul, But to fall in Love.
        It has to creep and crawl, Among the Lovers first.

Imam Jallal-u-Din Rumi

Comment

I'm as confused as Munni is http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/frown.gif

------------------
          "Allah extends His Hand at night so that He can forgive the sinner of the day; He extends His Hand in the day so that He can forgive the sinner of the night. He will continue to do so until the sun rises from the West (the Day of Judgment)"

[Related by Imam Muslim]

22.1 . O mankind! Fear your Lord . Lo! the earthquake of the Hour ( of Doom ) is a tremendous thing .

Comment

I chose something and ended up doing something totally different..

four years of college down the drain .... ah well.. whatchoogonnado http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/frown.gif

------------------
            This Space For Rent
            JaddoN kaddya jaloos ghareeba tay shehr ich choatalee lug gayee

Comment

Well, im still confused...

I started to study nutrition, then i started to study technology... and didnt finish anything...now i study Portuguese Language and i hope being a good teacher...

When i was 16 old i used to love everything linked to Arts. i tried to be sculptor like my father, but... guys, i known that here it means dont have enough money or balanced budget. I known security is a nonsense word, but i had forced myself to enter in a jail of pragmatism... http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/confused.gif my standart of choosing is not the best...

Comment

Am doing Computer Engineering! Why? Because didn't know what else to do and that is the program with the highest pre-req marks in Canada, so I went for it.

Am thinking about going to med school afterwards but the required GPAs are tough to get. Still trying though, Inshallah, I'll make it!

Comment

Originally posted by Hinna:
                  I'm as confused as Munni is http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/frown.gif

Hinna Arent you a CS major? I would suggest that you take a summer or fall semester off and work in the industry that you think you want your career in. That will give you a good feel for what you like and what you dont. Also talk to alums from your college who are in the same sector to find out what they are doing after leaving school and their day to day work involves. Thats one of the best and easiest way to get a feel for the industry. Just call them up and ask them if they are willing to spare a lunch break for you, that would like to get thier feedback on thier career tracks and then take them out to lunch. you would not believe what people would do for a free lunch (as well as getting the chance to talk about themselves).

If you dont have an idea at all of what you want to do in life take two sheets of paper.
                  On one write all the courses that your liked and what kind of things your enjoy on the other write down all the courses and things you dont like.

To each of these sheets add what you have gotten good grades in or praise from people and then compare what you have on the would like to do paper with the possibilties in terms of jobs.

On a third sheet write down your life plan of sort (as in what you want out of life, any acheivements you hope to make, family-career balance) and try and put number of years or age by which you wish to achieve these realistically. This piece of paper with the first two should give you an idea of exarctly what sector/field you want to work in. You can then draw up a fourth paper on which to write down all the possible jobs that you can get based on your narrowed list of career choices and for each put pros and cons and then figure out whats the nest on - make sure you keep an eye on where each of this job will lead you to in the future (10,20,30 yrs) and if that meets with your expectations and also if there is a limit to the career growth in that position.
                  if all this does not still help, let me know and I can give you some more tips on figuring out your career http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/smile.gif.

Munni - she said career not rishta http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/biggrin.gif
                  and you can apply the above as well and see where it takes you. it requires some patience (do it over a 4 day period just so that you have time to think) but I think its a great tool.

Comment

I chose engineering because it was expected of me. Family expected me to turn into either a doc or engineer. I chose the latter. Now that its been some years, it has grown on me.

If I were to go back to college now, I'll probbaly choose journalism or political science (maybe both http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/smile.gif)..

Comment

I gradjuated in engineering. But for the past several years I am a software engineer. I have had a chance to go abroad. I worked in Sydney for 2 years and presently am working in the UK for almost 3 years.
                      So far I've never had a reason to look back.

Comment

Because of my dada and daddi jan http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/smile.gif
                        Like many of you, it was expected of me too! Family pressures. You know what I mean.

Comment

Picked finance and economics as a subject to study. Got an MBA and am in Banking. Went about the Management consulting route but learned a lot along the way.

CHose it for the financial prospects and energy of the job

Comment

Working...
                          X