GMAT and MBA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GMAT and MBA

I am planning to take the GMAT in a few months and I would like to know if anyone could suggest any good books for reviewing my math. Let's just say that I dont remember much beyond my elementary years. I dont care for the Princeton Review type books.

I would also like to know any good books to review for the introduction MBA courses. I would like a head start.

Thanks!!!

------------------
    Learn to love yourself, then learn to love one-another
    "O man! What has seduced thee from thy Lord Most Beneficent?" - Quran 82:6

Sponsor and choose an orphan at alyateem dot com

Princeton Review provides pretty good material if u sign up with their preparation classes....but seeing how your not interested in them, you might wanna try Arco's "Teach Yourself the GMAT in 24 hours". It starts off with the basics, recaps mostly stuff u already know....very easy to follow. It highlights all the tiny math rules u ought to remember.

Oh and it sounded like u were only worried about the math section.....whatever u do, make sure u get sufficient practise dealing with the verbal section as well. The verbals worse then the math section...u might find yourself yanking out a few hairhttp://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/smile.gif

Comment

Originally posted by Fusion:
      Princeton Review provides pretty good material if u sign up with their preparation classes....but seeing how your not interested in them, you might wanna try Arco's "Teach Yourself the GMAT in 24 hours". It starts off with the basics, recaps mostly stuff u already know....very easy to follow. It highlights all the tiny math rules u ought to remember.

Oh and it sounded like u were only worried about the math section.....whatever u do, make sure u get sufficient practise dealing with the verbal section as well. The verbals worse then the math section...u might find yourself yanking out a few hairhttp://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/smile.gif
      Thanks Fusion!

I have taken the GMAT a few years ago, and I did fine in the verbal, its the math I didnt do so fine in. Hehe. I didn't prepare for it at all, so I know I really need to review the math. I want to study for it over a course of months. Timing is a big issue for me, plus the fact that my concentration goes out the window after two hours of testing.

Any books besides ARCO? I have looked at ARCO, Princeton Review, and Kaplan books but this time I would rather get a hold of a good ole math book to review.

Thanks!!

------------------

Comment

I am guessing you have already tried the CD that comes with the Kaplan books. Those are fairly easy to follow. Other then that the best way is to go is to make notes for yourself as you go through the course.

Try doing a complete test to see how you fare (the best way to do these is using the CDs that come with the books). Reviewing the maths review section is pretty good too though I find it too detailed (the test is actually easier then the review!). Other than that I dont think there is any specific book you could use but you can post your maths questions here or email me if you want.

What universities are you aiming for? Based on these figure out what GMAT score you want to get or need (say for a scholarship) and practice approriately. Also the first few questions on the test are the most important in each section so spend the most time on those. And take the breaks between the sections to relax a bit and get your concentration back.

Good luck!

Comment

What exactly is the GMAT and why do you need to take it before you can do an MBA? I was planning on doing an MBA but I didn't realise I'd have to do maths again!!
          A samurai bares no sign of weakness, even when dying of hunger.

Comment

hey cat,
            the GMAT is the Graduate Management Admission Test. Almost all MBA skules require that you pass the test and there's a cut-off to get in. I did the test last February, although I hardly had a week to prepare for it. Alhamdullilah I did good enough to get into all the schools that I applied to.

I come from a Comp Sci background and what I found the hardest was the Reading Comp part. Personally, I found it a little distracting to read a whole page on the comp screen and go back and forth to answer the questions that are asked later on.

The analytical writing section was the easiest although your essay scores don't get reported right after the test unlike the rest of the sections. The math section was easy but you're very tight on time. I think I missed 3 questions on the math.

I know a lot of study guides go in depth to teach you the tips and tricks on doing good on the exam. These are methods that would allow you to do better on the test itself rather than polish up your math or verbal skills. I think they'd be good to learn if you're thinkin seriously about the GMAT.

Munni, I can tell you the books that I've used in my first semester of the MBA, but I'm pretty sure it depends on your school and the courses you'd be taking. For the required courses, there are some standard books that are used across the schools - e.g. Marketing Management by Kotler is one book that I've seen being used at almost all schools for the first marketing course. Its a must have resource - I had an older edition of the book from my A-Levels and I reviewed the material from it.

If you know about the courses that you're gonna be taking, lemme know... I may be able to suggest some more.

[This message has been edited by Umar Talib (edited January 05, 2002).]
            For reason, ruling alone, is a force confining - and passion, unattended, is a flame that burns to its own destruction - Khalil Gibran

Comment

On a second note, yep cat, you hafta do math again for the MBA.

Prolly again, depends on the particular skule, but we had to either take the Math workshops and pass the Algebra and Calculus tests or pass the waiver exams before we started other MBA courses.
              For reason, ruling alone, is a force confining - and passion, unattended, is a flame that burns to its own destruction - Khalil Gibran

Comment

catwoman

if you were planning on doing an MBA and were not planning to do math again make sure you dont take any courses in finance, statistics, economics, market research or accounting.

errr on a second thought. MBA may just not be for you then http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/smile.gif
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Comment

Thanks all for the advice!

I am skimming a book of elementary algebra for college students, and will be doing the same for geometry. I'm guessing that should be enough to prepare me for the math portion, correct? It's basically algebra and geometry?

Is it true that if you are doing an MBA you really need to go to a good school or else it wont count for much? I read that somewhere. I will be lucky if I can get into a mediocre school at this point! *sigh*

I hope to focus on International Business.

------------------

Comment

I used Kaplan's study guide for my GRE & it was pretty helpful! They do have one for GMAT!

All standardized tests need practice. Practice to solve the kind of questions they ask. Itís not a measure of your knowledge, but your test taking skills. So, pick up any study guide and practice till the very last minute!
                    I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
                    - Robert McCloskey

Comment

In today's world unless you do a top-20 MBA, it is probably not worth it. Good luck with your efforts.

Comment

Top 20 do make a HUGE difference but it is not the only thing that matters. Some companies do not hire from anywhere else other then the top 10 or top 5 schools, however they have a lot of people who are not hired on campus but are not from the top 10/20 school. Pick a school that has what you want to do, has an effective career service, a large network of alumni. Also pick a school that is likely to move up the rankings rather than down in the future (you can generally tell this from talking to people at the school and employers)

Comment

Job placement is not my concern with the MBA. I pretty much know where I can be placed once I have the degree, Insha'Allah. For me its getting a degree that will help me understand the business economy and how it works. Thats what is most important for me in obtaining this degree. Thanks all!

------------------

Comment

What aspects of the business do you want to learn about? Are you thinking the purely financial or the operating or management. You can either aim for an MBA or you can also just take courses in economics, accounting to get similar results. The importance of the career service people is that if the school is not well known by reputation, then the career service people are the first contact with the outside world and hence the image of the school is formed from this.
                            How well the school is liked by the outside world literally depends on how nice the career service people are.

Comment

Munni you said International Business, there are other designations around such as MIM which is masters of international mgmt from thunderbird. great school for international business. But even within Int'l business what aspects are of interest, that may drive your selection. A business school may have a great marketing program e.g. Kellogg but not as good as the finance program somewhere else e.g. Wharton. You know whatI mean..so u just have to decide what you need to do, what interests you, and find out more about careers.

It is a very good idea to have some work expereince before getting into an MBA program, #1 broadens your perspective so u get more out of the program #2 most good schools require atleast a few years work experience prior to MBA
                              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Comment

Working...
                              X