Telephone Interviews

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Telephone Interviews

Have any of you had telephone interviews?

I have a telephone interview with ICI soon ans would really appreciate any advice you folks could give to me.

thanks in advance guys/girls

------------------
    if theres one thing i can't stand it's intolerance
    I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make as they go flying by

yes i had once, For a job!!!
    Try to stay calm, and DONT talk to loud in the phone. Also try to control your voice so it doesnt jumps up and down.
    There is no salvation for the soul, But to fall in Love.
    It has to creep and crawl, Among the Lovers first.

Imam Jallal-u-Din Rumi

Comment

Rizwan, I have had and also carry out many telephone interviews. One thing to remember, the telephone interviews are just a way to get the initial screening done to make sure the employer and the candidate are not wasting each other痴 time.

Please do the following prior to the telephone interview:

Make sure there is minimal background noise when on the telephone (no children running about or family members calling you).

Have a copy of your CV handy - spread on the table, so that you have minimal noise of rustling paper.

Have questions ready and important areas of your CV highlighted.

Have a glass of water handy, as the noise from dried mouth can be exaggerated over the phone.

Use hands-free phone if possible, and also avoid using a mobile phone if at all possible.

Rizwan, without the body language it can be difficult to convey your enthusiasm. This will obviously be done by the tone of your voice. So please speak clearly.

Don稚 worry about asking the interviewer to repeat the question. They do realize it is a phone interview and the phone line is not always clear.

Rizwan, good luck, and do let us all know how you get on.

Comment

thanks a lot for the advice, i appreciate it..

i will inshallah let you know how it went on wednesday or thursday

thanks once again

------------------
        I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make as they go flying by

Comment

Rizwan

in addition to your resume. think and write down some answers to typical questions...why this company, why did you leave last job, major strengths, major weaknesses..

Make sure that if there are ppl in the house that you tell them not to pick up another extension..to be on the safe side just pull the other extension, if you have problems with people forgetting or with kids in the house. If there are kids in the house, you may want to send them out for a treat dueing that time so you dont have to hear kids fighting, and falling down in the background.

handsfree phone is good, speak clearly. and even for questions that you ahve answers, dont start answering as soon as the interviewer is done asking, a little silence is good a pause before answering the question, seems like that you are really putting thought into it rather than just reading it from a paper or using a pre fabricated answer.

ask questions...ICIs future, strategies, how the impact would be on the area you are going to work at. make sure that the question is not too general like "how will the company strategy impact this group" but something more like "What have teh challenges been in assimilating the newly acquired entities, and if this is the part of corporate strategy, how do you see that as evolving the role of this group" etc for example.

Lastly relax and take it easy, sometimes out of the blue things serve as a good ice breaker. I was interviewing with a company once and the guy was calling from his home too, and one of his kids fell so he had to go and see what happened, and we started talkign about the challenges phone interviews sometimes pose..a number of years before that I was on a telephone interview with Zeneca (which had just split from ICI a couple years ago) and right outside my apartment there was a major accident, tires screetching..the slam and all, soon sirens..I apologized and asked if I could call the person back from soemwhere else or to schedule a later time, we had been speaking for a few minutes and she just said no its okay, I think I ahve all that I need and will look forward to seeing you when you come by our offices.

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Comment

Thanks once again, mr. fraudia,
            i'll work on the advice given to me

http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/smile.gif

------------------

Comment

Working...
            X