Is this a wrong decision?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this a wrong decision?

That is moving back to Pakistan after doing MS in computer engineering.

I came here to Purdue only last year for Masters in telecom (graduating next year), but realized that studying probability and random variables was not something that I terribly enjoyed. So, quickly switched over to compEng., since I do have interest in this field.

Now the problem is, theres absolutely no scope in Pakistan of compE, but I have to go back due to some family matters and cant stay here, unlike all my friends here, who have decided to stay here for good.

Any ideas/suggestions/comments?
    I'm cold seed, I'm your sweetest leaf
    I'll ease your mind, I'll set you free

what family probs? if it's that serious of a situation...then how can you stay here? that's what you need to figure first.

but since you are already here and if you want to stay here then try to do so. but don't stay just for a job if that mean's you'll miss home too much (unless that's not a concern). good luck.
    Got Gup?

Comment

scratch

try working in one of the companies that does military systems work, they use all sorts of electronic and computer engineers. Depending on which city you are at, you may be able to find companies that need such people.

arfin international is one that I can tell you off the top of my head, there are others as well.

Depending on how mauch time u have until your graduation, you may be able to do a dual degree or pick other courses which will broaden your scope a bit.

One thing you can do is to contact professors in Pakistani engineering universities and get their advice on what is currently needed in the industry there and what will be needed soon, how is the industry evolving. use their input on industry and current and expected needs, share that with your academic advisor and strike a balance.
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Comment

Unless absolutely necessary, Stay. Don't Leave!

Send back foreign exchange.. you'd be helping the country more than if you returned and then moped over the decision.

------------------
        This Space For Rent
        JaddoN kaddya jaloos ghareeba tay shehr ich choatalee lug gayee

Comment

might be of interest

Lahore University of Management Sciences (LUMS) was set up in 1985 as a Center of Excellence to offer programs that would begin to impact the management of resources in Pakistan and the region. Since its inception, LUMS has not only established itself as the leading university in Pakistan, it has redefined the standards and quality of higher education. Currently it offers one of the region's best MBA programs, a 4-year undergraduate program with majors in Computer Science, Economics, Mathematics and Social Sciences and a Masters and Doctoral program in Computer Science.

As a result of a recent visioning process, LUMS has realigned its goals for the future. In the next 10-15 years, LUMS will grow to 4000 students with a much stronger emphasis on graduate programs. Plans are underway to start graduate and doctoral programs in Economics and Business. New Graduate Schools in the areas of Information Sciences and Law are also being considered. LUMS wants to maintain a healthy balance between its undergraduate and graduate programs.

In this new exciting phase of our growth, we seek academics and scholars to become part of our faculty on a permanent or visiting basis. We are looking for individuals who already have a demonstrated track record of teaching and research, or are fresh PhDs from reputed universities. We need faculty in the following areas:

Graduate School of Business

Accounting & Finance
          Business Policy / Strategy
          Marketing
          Production Operations
          Supply Chain Management
          Information Systems
          Organisational Behaviour / HRM
          School of Arts & Sciences

Computer Science
          Economics
          Mathematics
          Social Sciences
          History
          Sociology
          Philosophy
          Anthropology
          Psychology

For the right candidates, we offer a competitive remuneration package, on-campus housing in an idyllic 100 acre campus and the opportunity to be part of an exciting and innovative learning environment poised for impressive growth. At LUMS we cultivate and nurture academic talent.

Click here for more about the university >>

Send your CVs to

Faculty Search
          Lahore University of Management Sciences
          Opposite Sector U, Defence Housing Authority
          Lahore 54792
          Pakistan

Ph: -+92 42 572 2670-79
          Fax: +92 42 572 2591
          e-mail: [email protected]

How can a man die better than facing fearful odds for the ashes of his fathers and the Temple of his Gods?

Comment

Thanks for the replies.
            I am off to Chicago (in quite a hurry actually), so I hope I can put up my response to you all by tomorrow evening sometime http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/smile.gif

Comment

Bharysh,
              Thankfully, there are not problems but more like issues, thats why I used the word "matters". My father wants me to help him in his previously-succesful, but now not-succesful business. Its his wish actually. I would want to do the same, but my first priority is to gain experience. Secondly, I really wouldn't want to be like the guys who make their parents live alone at a time when they need their children the most, just to make their careers. Thirdly, I have never really wanted to live in any country other than Pakistan. Its so against my nature. I am really surprised as how my friends who came here with me, are bent upon staying here by hook or by crook. Fouthly, I do miss home a lot http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/frown.gif

Fraudia,
              Thats a good idea. But you see, there are not many complanies who do that; and then you never know about these upstart firms who are here today and gone tomorrow, depending on the economic situation. You can never be sure whether you will ever be able to have a progressive and long career with them. I know a couple of firms based in Islamabad who work on state-of-the-art technology, but not necessarily compE.

About broadening my scope, unfortunately (and very surprisingly), the choice of courses offered by Purdue ECE deptt. is not very diverse. So no, this cant be done.

PA,
              Why do you think that its so important to stay here? Is just the foreign exchange thing, a reason enough? Actually, this would hinder with one of my goals (You guys would probably laugh at this but I have always dreamt of doing this); that is to open up free school/s for poor children back home where I will teach a syllabus designed by myself. Is everyone smiling already at my plans? http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/smile.gif

Zakk,
              Your idea sounds nice but given my present state of mind, I want to stay away from school for a long long time. Too much studying man, too much studying!!!

[This message has been edited by Scratch (edited December 17, 2001).]

Comment

Scratch

i read your comment, and that is exactly why i am suggesting that you talk to professors and industry veterans in pakistan to see what the immediate needs in the industry are and where the industry is headed. Then you will be able to strike a balance in current skill needs vs future skill needs and be prepared.

What may be state of the art in Pakistan may be very routine here, but I see that as an opportunity for you to be a force in the R&D of such companies and utilize your knowledge and experience to help them evolve and grow as well.
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Comment

Originally posted by Scratch:
                  That is moving back to Pakistan after doing MS in computer engineering.

I came here to Purdue only last year for Masters in telecom (graduating next year), but realized that studying probability and random variables was not something that I terribly enjoyed. So, quickly switched over to compEng., since I do have interest in this field.
                  Purdue, wow, great yaar.

I came here for the same reason, you are correct about probability stuff, its quite difficult to understand and also nobody likes it, me neither. But I completed my masters in the same field (Telecom) http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/smile.gif

I'm impressed by your ideas, especially

Secondly, I really wouldn't want to be like the guys who make their parents live alone at a time when they need their children the most, just to make their careers.
                  is good enough reason to go back and live with your parents.

But it is always good to have some US experience before you go back. I would recommend you to use up your Practical Training period here, take a useful industry experience and then go back. Thats what I'm doing right now.

I'm not sure about your field, is it Computer Programming or Networking or IT or something else?

Anyway, there are some good companies in Pakistan, especially in Islamabad, I know couple of my friends working there. Also there are good institutions like LUMS, GIK, NUST etc. where you can work on new technology.

Actually, this would hinder with one of my goals (You guys would probably laugh at this but I have always dreamt of doing this); that is to open up free school/s for poor children back home where I will teach a syllabus designed by myself. Is everyone smiling already at my plans?
                  May Allah help you in fufilling your goals.

[This message has been edited by Ganja (edited December 18, 2001).]

Comment

Scratch I understand why you would want to go back to PAK after studies. I would say if you are sure about going back, then do so right after completing studies and maybe half a year of job pratice somewhere but not more, otherwise if you'd get used to your job and collegues you may not want to leave. I have no idea how things are going back there but if you have a plan and strong willpower you will do good there.

Family is a good reason for going back, if my family would have been in PAK, I would not have stayed, but I know its difficult to decide, in any case if you decide to stay you will have to work hard in both cases, cos professionl life here in the west is not easy, the daily stress and competetion, makes you feel helpless if you are a weak person, but if strong and self confident in yourself then it should be no problem, anyway best of luck http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/ok.gif

Comment

Why do you think that its so important to stay here? Is just the foreign exchange thing, a reason enough?
                      Yes, admit it. Foreign exchange is a very important factor. All your noble plans of opening schools etc will only be fullfilled if you have enough dough to lead a peaceful and comfortable life and manage to save some for charitable deeds.

Your idea isn't too far fetched. Some friends of mine are already planning and have set up and registered a charitable organization here in the USA.

We scrapped the idea for scholarships for higher education in favour of a mission to provide tution fees for deprived kids in Pak who are unable to afford basic education.

Soooo if your parents are able to take care of themselves, you should spend some time here, gain valuable experience and keep hunting for appropriate opportunities in Pakistan. The right one will make your decision much easier.

Good Luck http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/ok.gif

------------------
                      This Space For Rent
                      JaddoN kaddya jaloos ghareeba tay shehr ich choatalee lug gayee

Comment

Ganja,
                        Coming to Purdue has been a great experience. More so because of the fact that last year there were 5 new students that Purdue accepted from UET, Lahore and all 5 of us have been together since the last 8 years now. We were in the same college, same section (Government College, Lahore), then we were together in UET, Lahore, once again same sections and then we all applied to Purdue and all got accepted. Amazing, haan!!

My field is primarily Computer Architecture. Its really amazing stuff in itself. But I am trying to move on to more software side of the things and encompass whole computer engg. Like this semester I took courses in operating systems and compiler design. But still not sure what to do in the next semester.

Experience thing is good but at this time (given the overall situation in the US), its even hard to find an internship. Full time position would be even more difficult.

So which uni did you go to?

Sadi,
                        I always knew that there would be this crunch time in my academic career when I would have to decide what to do. Yes, its difficult to decide. The most important thing that would stop me from staying here is my parents. If I were a free bird, I would have done job here and a lot more as well. And yes I understand the stress of working here. I mean graduate studies give you a good idea about the professional life style here, which is so very different from the relaxed atmosphere in Pakistan.

PA,
                        The search for comfort and peace for your ownself is a never-ending process. The whole point in doing chritable work should be to sacrifice your own desires.

Good thing you scrapped the idea of scholarships for studying abroad. We need to go the very base of the education system. It would have been a waste of money. So, what type of schools are you keeping in mind when providing tuition fees for deprived children? Fees for government schools are nominal (of course there are people who cant even pay that amount), but then the education in gov. schools is so pathetic that it really kills the idea of grooming young kids in a better way. On the other hand, most private schools are a mere show off and very expensive.

Thats why I said that I would like to have my own syallabus in the school that I would run, hopefully. Brain washing the children just as the Taliban were brain washed but only in the opposite direction. Now, this is far-fatched!!!

Well, I might not be able to visit gupsgup for the next 2 weeks, since I am leaving for LA tomorrow. So, see all of you later!

[This message has been edited by Scratch (edited December 19, 2001).]

Comment

Ganja,

My field is primarily Computer Architecture. Its really amazing stuff in itself. But I am trying to move on to more software side of the things and encompass whole computer engg. Like this semester I took courses in operating systems and compiler design. But still not sure what to do in the next semester.

Scratch,

I would recommend you to take some hardware design courses like VLSI Design, VHDL, Verilog etc, because this is a very good combination with Copmuter Architecture.

Experience thing is good but at this time (given the overall situation in the US), its even hard to find an internship. Full time position would be even more difficult.
                          Yeah, very true, its very hard to find jobs these days, particularly for fresh graduates, but its not impossible. Many of my friends lost jobs in the past few months. And many are delaying their graduation (another option for you) and taking more courses or going for PHD.

So which uni did you go to?
                          ASU

So whats ur batch of UET? I had many friends there in EE and Civil.

[This message has been edited by Ganja (edited December 19, 2001).]

Comment

Good luck Scratch

------------------
                            wish there was something real wish there was something true wish there was something real in this world full of you i'm the one without a soul i'm the one with this big ****ing hole don't think you're having all the fun you know me i hate every one i want to but i can't turn back but i want to

covered in hope and vaseline still cannot fix this broken machine

no one to blame always the same open my eyes wake up in flames it took you to make me realize it took you to make me see the light smashed up my everything smashed up all that was true gonna smash myself to pieces i don't know what else to do

i'm broken
                            - nin. halo five. broken.

Comment

Originally posted by Ganja:
                              ASU

So whats ur batch of UET? I had many friends there in EE and Civil.

[This message has been edited by Ganja (edited December 19, 2001).]
                              Ganja,
                              Mine was 95. Whats yours? We might have many common friends if you are also a recent graduate.

What tyoe of job are you doing?

About hardware, call it my mistake or a daring decision, while all my friends went for the popular VLSI course, I opted for compiler. I attended the first few lectures of the VLSI course, but you see I just wasn't geared up for studying the same transistors, voltages and the currents stuff which I had studied for years. I mean thats all they teach at UET...electronics, electronics and electronics. But VHDL is interesting.

Delaying graduation...I would rather start another masters (that is only if I stay here and dont get a job). Phd need so much dedication and I am totally devoid of it right now.

Sarah,
                              Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X