Suggestions please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suggestions please!

Doing a job and gaining some experience or setting up a business of his own (if resources are available), which of the two is better for a fresh graduate?

I've recently completed my MBA having majors in Marketing and MIS. I personally want to start off with a setup of my own. But my family wants me to come back to Saudia and do a job there.

I also have some experience of exporting. I have a registered firm of my own with an exporting license. I shipped few consignments parallel with my studies. But I couldn't do it on regular basis due to tough study schedules. Secondly, my parents wanted me to concentrate just on studies. So, the setup is there, and now that I'm also through with my studies, should I give it one more shot or just listen to what my parents say and do a job? If I opt for a job then the market conditions aren't very attractive for a fresh MBA. I presently reside in Karachi. So... Kiya karoon kay naa karoon, yaye kaisi mushkil haaaye....!

EmptyBrain,

If you are one who does istikhara, I think its a very good idea to do that a few times.

Apart from that, its a tough choice. I think most people would tell you to work and gain some valuable experience first.

However, my brother for example worked a year and hated it, and he started his own home business. Now, Mash'Allah he is successful in it eventhough its small and from home. He makes more than someone with his experience would make working for others, Mash'Allah. He is much happier doing this and he had a degree in Nutrition and Dietetics of all things! It could have gone both ways though. Just keep in mind that in the first year, if you break even, its considered good. Atleast thats what a friend of mine who owns a business in New York told me.

The decision is yours! May it be a succesful one! *smile*

------------------
    Learn to love yourself, then learn to love one-another
    "O man! What has seduced thee from thy Lord Most Beneficent?" - Quran 82:6

Sponsor and choose an orphan at alyateem dot com

Comment

I guess doing an "Istikhara" is not a bad choice...but apart from that you should really think twice before getting into a business.

Do you think you have enough surplus resources to play with? being a freshman for business having no experince at all makes you more vulnerable to some monetary loss, if not much. If you think you can bear such inital financial losses then i guess there is no better choice than to run your own business.

But still, i am of the opinion that one should do some job and explore the market...this would give you a better idea where and what to start with. maybe the kind of business you want to start right now, wouldnt be your choice after you have some experience with something else.

i hope this helps!

------------------
      Kaddu khao, jaan banao!

Comment

Its not a good time to start a business due to the global recession, especially for a fresh graduate. If there is a business owned by your father or any other close relative, join that, have a good experience and then think of starting your own.

If you go to Saudia, you wont learn much there (unless you are working in a multi-national firm), but life is very much thund and ayashee over there.

Comment

where did u do your MBA from? send me your resume, I may be able to connect you with some multinationals but they would be in Islamabad.

as far as exporting and all, I have some friends in Karachi who decided to go that route and are doing well in general although it took them a few years and they did all that while staying at home with parents and thus had minimal expenses.

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Comment

As my brother narrates.. in his MBA class the professor addressed the students and said.. "those of you who wish to complete this degree and go on to start your own business, you're better advised to forget this degree and start it today".

If you are business minded.. nothing should stop you from starting one right away. If you're like those who wish to play it safe.. a cushy job somewhere is the answer to all your problems..and nothing beats Saudi Arabia, as long as you are in agreement with the lifestyle.

------------------
            This Space For Rent
            JaddoN kaddya jaloos ghareeba tay shehr ich choatalee lug gayee

Comment

dunno what school your bro was at but many universities have courses and programs targetted towards entrepreneurs.

There are people who started own businesses without college which are cited as examples but they are a minority.

An MBA program does not only help you understand the world of business but also helps build connections and a certain skillset.
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Comment

Thanks people for giving me good suggestions.

Yes I do believe in Istikhara and I shall do it InshaAllah.

I have done MBA from SZABIST. I don't know if you people know of it.

The grounds on which I wanted to do a business were

a)I have prior experience of internships. I completed several market research projects successfully. And I know pros and cons of working under a Boss.

b)The poor situation of the job market here in Pakistan. The pay scale for a fresh graduate ranges b/w Rs. 8,000/= to Rs. 18,000/= (Apart from those who are graduates of LUMS or IBA. They start from 25+ ).

c)I don't want to discontinue my education, rather I want to do some more courses. For that reason I need flexi timings. And only a setup of my own would provide me such time outs. Other wise I would not be able to attend those coourses having a job from 9 to 6.

I lived in Saudia for 18 years. Did my Inter there. Then came to Pakistan (Mom wasn't in favor of sending me to wilayat. She had fears that.....http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/biggrin.gif well you know!). Rest of my family is still in Saudia. SO I know very well how's life in Saudia. And also know the merits and demerits of doing a job there. Lekin Apna Mulk is Apna...! I want to stay here and do something.

Mr. Fraudia! I can definitly send you my resume. You want a soft copy or a hard copy?
                and where?

I guess my final decision will definitly be based on Istikhara.

------------------
                Who are these kids and why are they calling me dad?

Comment

send me a soft copy at [email protected]. I would suggest that even if you want to start your own business to get some years expereince in that industry by working there fulltime. This way you will get to know industry practices better and also some important ppl in the arena

I have heard of Szabist, i.e. Shaheed Zulfiqar Ali Bhutoo Inst of science and tech. I did not know they had MBA programs there.

Comment

OK. I'll send it right now.

SZABIST has been rated #2 by asia week, amongst the top educational institutions of pakistan. And #1 in SINDH (Didn't understand why.... http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/biggrin.gif). It's computer science faculty is recognised every where and has a very strong market. The MBA program started not very long ago. Infact they also have bachelors program which is a three years Hon. program. I first completed BBA Hon. from SZABIST and now just completed my MBA from the same institution.

Apart from Bachelors and Masters they also have Ph.D and M.Phil programs.

------------------
                    Who are these kids and why are they calling me dad?

Comment

dude if it is ranked that high you should not have problems getting a job even in a tough market, look up some alumni and call them or talk to your placement center people.

IBA grads dont seem to have a tough time, and if you are ranked in the same area, you should not either.

Comment

Originally posted by EmptyBrain:
                        OK. I'll send it right now.

SZABIST has been rated #2 by asia week, amongst the top educational institutions of pakistan. And #1 in SINDH (Didn't understand why.... http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/biggrin.gif). It's computer science faculty is recognised every where and has a very strong market. The MBA program started not very long ago. Infact they also have bachelors program which is a three years Hon. program. I first completed BBA Hon. from SZABIST and now just completed my MBA from the same institution.

Apart from Bachelors and Masters they also have Ph.D and M.Phil programs.

I put the whole asia week '99 rankings in the BIN based on SZABIST's ranking.

In tech schools it was ranked ABOVE NUST!! yeah right!.

Its 1st in Sindh that means above IBA. Hmmm interesting.

Comment

BTW when was it setup?

Comment

Well it was established some where in 1989. Have you ever been to the Institute?

Comment

Originally posted by EmptyBrain:
                              Well it was established some where in 1989. Have you ever been to the Institute?
                              hmm 12 years is enough time to grow and develop I guess.

According to current rankings its number 3 in Pakistan. But the student selectivity is better than GIKI and NUST. Isnt it a bit strange? I dont know one person who applied to SZABIST (I am from lahore BTW) but know scores who went to GIKI NUST and IBA. Maybe everyone in Karachi applies to SZAB.

Why dont you give us a bit of back ground. How big is the campus and lab facilities. The facilities at Informatics in lahore look impressive, how does SZAB compare. Do you have any pictures of the campus etc?

I first found out about the uni in '99 Rankings http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/smile.gif

Comment

Working...
                              X